.40 cal defensive ammo - Page 2

.40 cal defensive ammo

This is a discussion on .40 cal defensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use cor-bon pow'rball in my .40. Its really nasty stuff. No cycling problems thanks to the polymer ball, not that I have cycling problems ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .40 cal defensive ammo

I use cor-bon pow'rball in my .40. Its really nasty stuff. No cycling problems thanks to the polymer ball, not that I have cycling problems anyway but better safe than sorry.

VIP Member
    Shoot a variety and the use WHAT WORKS IN YOUR WEAPON EVERYTIME WITHOUT FAIL.

ok, enough shouting

I have a CZ RAMI that works everytime with 135 grain CorBon Powerball. I have a Cougar 8040 that works everytime with Speer Gold Dot 180 grain.

You can deduce on your own what I carry in them for self defense. On the range I use what I can get cheap. I can suffer a FTF/FTE while shooting at paper.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Cor-Bon DPX....great sd round.....performs as advertised!
    Jim

VIP Member

Depends on the budget

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    Okay all I'm looking for inputs from those of you that have the experience. I'm looking for the the best defensive loads & bullet types for carrying in my Ruger KP944.

Thanks for the help.
    ALex G.
    Elsewhere someone suggested MagSafe. It is g-d awful expensive, but after reading their web site I decided to try some. So, now I'm out about $45 for 16 rounds in .40 and 8 rounds in .380.

In the .40 I got the stuff marked "Glock 27"--there are two other iterations called Defender and Swat. The stuff marked Glock 27 is supposed to be the cat's meow for short barrel handguns.
    It is a "pre-fragmented" hollow point with 1900 ft per sec and a claim on the web site of 610 foot pounds. Recoil was mild compared to 180 gr. and maybe a little better than with 165 gr.

I splurged (for the .40) because I wanted something that maybe wouldn't go through the exterior brick of my house.

I splurged for the .380 because (maybe I'm gullable) the advertisement said you get more energy out of their .380 than out of a .45. "Our weakest .380 outguns the hottest .45 ACP." [Not sure I believe that, but it is what the company claims.]
    Low recoil in my Mustang. And this is my carry gun--so good ammo is a must.

Would I buy more? I don't know. a) I can't afford it b) I have no way to do an experiment to find out if it is worth the cost.

If the web site's claims are right on, this may well be some really good self defense ammo.

corbpon dpx=excellent expansion everytime thru all kinds of media,fed hst-excellent round as well, gdhp(bonded) and rem gsabers are the best . wicnhest ratlons are good but have kknow to seperate at times...time and time again.hope this helps

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedz View Post
    I use cor-bon pow'rball in my .40. Its really nasty stuff. No cycling problems thanks to the polymer ball, not that I have cycling problems anyway but better safe than sorry.
    I second this idea.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I shoot Magtech's Guardian Gold 155 gr JHP. It's pricey, but you get 1205 fps and a whopping 500 ft/lbs (both at muzzle)! Great expansion in test media (wet phone books), easy to shoot and control and feeds well in an EAA Witness and Springfield XD.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

i as well use Federal Hydra-Shok in .40. ...and it's only 135 grain! but i found i got the same results at roughly 25 feet as anything up to 180 grain. if i need the distance of a sniper rifle for a defensive handgun then i'm just going to leave.
    What's this button do?

First thing is your choice should be:
    100% reliable in your gun
    Produced by a reputable manufacturer
    Provide 12 to 18 inches of penetration
    Jacketed hollow point design
    There are a lot of ammo that meets this but compare them in low to no light and you will find that the Winchester Ranger Line and the Federal HST Line will provide you with the best results there.

If you don't think muzzle flash is very important go out and set up three targets one yard apart and stand 21 feet away and load your your blaster and fire two rounds per target as fast as you can and see when the sights disappear and all you see is a blob of spots from muzzle flash.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links