.40 cal defensive ammo

.40 cal defensive ammo

This is a discussion on .40 cal defensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay all I'm looking for inputs from those of you that have the experience. I'm looking for the the best defensive loads & bullet types ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .40 cal defensive ammo

.40 cal defensive ammo

Okay all I'm looking for inputs from those of you that have the experience. I'm looking for the the best defensive loads & bullet types for carrying in my Ruger KP944.

Thanks for the help.
    ALex G.

Your Ruger will eat most anything you throw at it. That said, I usually carry Federal Hydra-Shok in my Taurus PT-101.

I use Speer Gold dot, as I have heard nothing bad about it.

shoot alot and pick the best.

I have a Ruger p-944. I use winchester ranger sxt in 180gr. I use these because I came across a good deal at a gun show. As noted above your gun will digest just about anything marked .40S&W. I have noticed out of my gun the 180 gr loads shoot more to point of aim. Lighter bullets tend to hit a little low for me.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    shoot alot and pick the best.
    +1,000

That is the best in my opinion. I have 165gr. Ranger SXT's and 165 gr. Winchester silvertips. I elected to strictly shoot 165 gr. because all the research I did showed better balistics and fewer problems with 165 gr. The 180g gr bullets reportedly kb'd more often, usually associated with the bullet seating ever so slightly deeper when the gun cycled. This would increase the pressure beyond the limits of the gun. The 165 gr., theoretically, had a little more "gimme" room if the bullet seated a little deeper, thus avoiding the kb factor. Remember also, there is no such thing as a +P or +P+ for .40 s&w. They are allready loaded at maximum pressure.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

There are a lot of excellent choices. I really like the following weight bullets for .40's:

Speer Gold Dot in 155grs.
    Federal HST in 155grs.
    Speer Gold Dot in 165grs.
    Remington Golden Sabers in 165grs.
    Winchester Ranger SXT in 165grs.

Speed kills.....

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I shoot Speer Gold Dot. Heaviest one they sell - 180gr I think. I've been told by numerous people that this tends to be the superior carry round. However..... Like gotammo said. Shoot and pick what you like. But do some research also.

Once you find one you like - put about 200 rounds of it through your gun (without any failures) before you rely on it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    as has been said above ... there is no magic bullet, pick a load that shoots to point of aim and then carry it. If it " shoots where it looks " and feeds then you got it all covered imho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I've gone through just about all of it, and have decided to stick with 165 gr. Golden Saber. That said, you will not go wrong with any of the choices listed here.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks Everyone for the replies! Great stuff and I realize its a trial and error type thing. Research and confidence in what you carry is key. Looks like I'll be spending alot MORE time at the range. Once qagain thanks to all.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I like Federal's Expandable Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ)'s.
    For God, Family and Country!

I just ordered a 40cal sampler pack from Double Tap.
    135gr Nosler JHP
    165gr Gold Dot JHP
    180gr Gold Dot JHP
    200gr Controlled Expansion JHP
    50 rounds each, 200 rounds total. A bit pricey but I figured I figured what the hell. Also ordered a few thousand rounds from AmmoMan for me and the wife to use at the range. I seem to end up at the range more and more lately and paying the range ammo prices gets a bit steep 2 or 3x a week.
    But for CCW I'm really leaning towards the 165's or 180gr JHP's. My KP944 DOES eat anything I put in it but am really comfortable with the 165's or 180's.
    Has anyone here tried DoubleTaps ammo?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    When I took my concealed carry course it was through a local police academy. One of the officers that taught our class was part of a joint task force. So he worked with many different departments and federal agencies. He said that he is always quizzing the other officers as to favorite rounds. He told us the one thing he has learned and wanted all of us to leave with was to alway use a bonded round. I have always followed that advise when choosing my carry rounds.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I've decided on the Federal EFMJ in agreement with ArmyCop. I recently saw a photo ballistic comparison chart using 4 layers of denim and a deep wetpack. All the rounds were .45ACP but the 200 gr EFMJ was obviously better at staying un-clogged and mushrooming perfectly after traveling 11 inches thru this stuff. The Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shoks and the 230 gr Golden Sabers all penetrated the same 11 inches but never expanded adequately. I'd bet a 180 gr .40 EFMJ would perform similarly, but I'm no expert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links