Federal 9mm aluminum case 115gr?

This is a discussion on Federal 9mm aluminum case 115gr? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone ever heard or used this? My wife has been out of town this week. She called yesterday and said the Walmart she was at ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Federal 9mm aluminum case 115gr?

Anyone ever heard or used this? My wife has been out of town this week. She called yesterday and said the Walmart she was at had Federal 9mm 115gr for $9.99 a box. Her shooting stash was getting low so she picked up 3 boxes. I never thought to have her check if it was aluminum case. The only aluminum case ammo I had heard of was CCI blazers. I know I cant reload it but haven't started reloading 9mm yet anyway.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Yes it does exist. This is the first time I've bought the aluminum case ammo and haven't shot it yet so I can't give a testimonial.

20140830_210902.jpg
    Eric357 likes this.

Thanks. Well I guess we will find out soon.

Have shot 10's of thousands of rounds of the Blazer Alum with no problems at all.
    I'm pretty certain Blazer is made by Federal.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Have shot 10's of thousands of rounds of the Blazer Alum with no problems at all.
    I'm pretty certain Blazer is made by Federal.
    Blazer is CCI I think. If my range allowed aluminum cases I'd shoot the heck out of that federal.
    Eric357 and 5lima30ret like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I shoot at an indoor range most of the time. They do not allow steel or aluminum cases ammo. If i was going to my buddy's outdoor membership range I wouldn't mind it. I have shot TulAmmo steel through my gun before without any problems.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Yes cci blazer is all made by atk/ federal, I've shot thousands of the aluminum ammo and no issues, love it cause I don't need to pick it up when I'm done.... At the range most indoor ranges don't allow it cause they don't want to spend time sorting it out of the brass..
    Ianthin and Eric357 like this.

I'll have to give a look for it. I'll be heading to Wally World today.
    I like aluminum case ammo when I shoot in the winter and can't collect/find my brass.
    That's a good price. The last time I got Blazer 9mm it was around 13/box.

The only problem I've had with aluminum case ammo was .45acp out of a 1911. My old combat commander just didn't like it and no amount of polishing/throating was going to fix it. I'm not sure if it was galling or what.
    Eric357 likes this.

Thanks guys. I haven't shot anything aluminum since I was a teen and then it was only a .25.

Wow haven't seen that ammo in years down here in south Texas, the few times I have used it it was GTG. If my local Wally's start stocking it I'm all over it at that price as steel Tula is selling for 10.99 and my sub 2000 doesn't like steel case but according to the forums will feed aluminum just fine.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I too saw that at our local walmart. Like the others have said if it shoots as good as the CCI Blazer you should have no worries! One slight advantage to aluminum cased ammo would be lighter overall weight. I'll bet that a lot of LLRP's teams wished they made aluminum cased 7.62 & 5.56 ammo
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I too saw that at our local walmart. Like the others have said if it shoots as good as the CCI Blazer you should have no worries! One slight advantage to aluminum cased ammo would be lighter overall weight. I'll bet that a lot of LLRP's teams wished they made aluminum cased 7.62 & 5.56 ammo
    I've got an old .556 round where plastic was tried.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Here's the Alum case issue as I see it. It's cheaper to produce and if gun owners start buying it, more companies will switch to it. Then brass will go away, leaving reloaders with a ever-growing shortage. Following that, ammo companies will raise the price of the alum-cased ammo. Of course, if you never intend to reload it's not an issue. As a reloader myself, I wouldn't spend a dime on alum cases unless it was the last box of ammo on earth. I'd rather give my brass away to a reloader than shoot alum ammo.
    Eric357 and coffeecup like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Wow haven't seen that ammo in years down here in south Texas, the few times I have used it it was GTG. If my local Wally's start stocking it I'm all over it at that price as steel Tula is selling for 10.99 and my sub 2000 doesn't like steel case but according to the forums will feed aluminum just fine.
    I don't think I've ever seen it at Wallyworld,I buy online by the case.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

That's funny!

I doubt there's anyone on this board who's fired off more aluminum-cased pistol ammo than I have.

This said: With, something like, 13 or 14 years of experience now behind me, my opinion of all aluminum-cased pistol ammo is that, IT'S CRAP! The powder charges are very light; nevertheless, when fired the cases become extraordinarily hot; the powder's firing residue is heavy, sooty, and leaves filth all over the gun; the bullets are plated - not jacketed - and the casemouths and primer pockets are always very loosely crimped, and are never sealed.

I've actually had aluminum-cased ammunition get left out on the bench while we were firing our pistols in a very light drizzle (almost a heavy fog); and, when those rounds were loaded into the gun, many of them failed to ignite. Probably because moisture in the air had penetrated into the casemouths and primer pockets.

Personally, I cannot fathom calling inferior ammunition like this, 'good-to-go'. Good-to-go for what! As self defense ammo? Frankly, if I were forced to load this stuff into an EDC pistol, well ....... I'd rather use a knife or a bow and arrow.

The main reasons, 'Why' I purchased as many cases of aluminum-cased ammo as I have is simply because of: cost, availability, and the fact that I came to understand this product well enough to keep it firing under all different sorts of conditions.*

No way would I want to larder this: anemic, filthy dirty, hot shooting, and loosely crimped ammo, or trust it for personal self-defense - It's crap, and should be recognized as such.

(I, further, presume that everybody's familiar with the accrued adverse effects derived from the prolonged use of aluminum-cased ammo - Yes! Mainly breechface erosion, and excessive fire etching in and around the chamber walls and leade area of the gun.)

* Except at temperatures near or below freezing where the performance of aluminum cartridge cases degrades very quickly; i.e.: The aluminum cases contract enough to adversely affect performance; they fail to expand and contract in accord with normal material/design specifications, and are more likely to split or, otherwise, fail when fired.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links