What do you consider "good" range/practice ammo?

This is a discussion on What do you consider "good" range/practice ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what some consider "good" or quality practice ammo? I always read/hear of folks saying all the usual cheap stuff is .. . . ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What do you consider "good" range/practice ammo?

Distinguished Member

Just curious what some consider "good" or quality practice ammo? I always read/hear of folks saying all the usual cheap stuff is .. . . . . well cheap, not good stuff. You know, all the usual suspects - winchester white box, remmington UMC, blazer, ect.

If people have a problem with a gun, usually blaming the cheap ammo is the first thought that comes to mind.

Not that I disagree, but what are some ball/target brands that you consider "better/good"?

Say someone is wanting to shoot their best groupings @ 25 yds or just get some ammo that is better than just cheap stuff, what do you think of?

(I know HP's do a little better, but considering them out for this conversation, as I don't think most would buy HP's for range/practice ammo. And (custom) + reloads are out too, obviously that being the best for tuning to each individual gun)

Best I can think of that I've used is Selloir and Bellot. That stuff shot fantastic and was the cleanest casings I've ever picked up, not that I compared grouping with it though - not something I usually do.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Winchester white box.
    BlackStallion29 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Non-corrosive, brass case, boxer primed, full power, standard weight
    kmckinnon and WINTEJER000 like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

My range/practice ammo is my self-defense ammo. I shoot what is in my carry guns and magazines when I go to the range for practice. I want to know what the ammo I carry does. If I were to use practice ammo, it would need to be the same grains and ballistics of my carry ammo.
    SIGP250 and muckaleewarrior like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

What might be great practice ammo for me, and my gun, might be terrible practice ammo for you and your gun. Guns have favorites and personalities, a lot like kids. You should try a variety of ammo and find those that YOUR gun will feed reliably.
    BlackStallion29 likes this.

I like the Federal (red and black box) ammo. It's a lot cleaner that the Winchester white box ammo and seems to shoot better than the UMC (Remington) ammo.

I started shooting with Freedom Munitions ammo (new and re-manufactured) a year or so ago when I had problems finding other ammo. I really like it - accurate, burns clean, and has less muzzle flash than other brands (good for low-light practice). That's what I mainly use now because it is very good quality, reasonably priced, and readily available.

I usually end up with Federal American Eagle, as that is most common in my area. But I have been loading my own for the last year. It's interesting trying different powders and projectiles.

I had a 1911 that didn't like to go into battery with UMC. Otherwise I will buy what's cheap and have little difficulty.
    DanielC likes this.

Load same weight that I carry.
    WINTEJER000 likes this.

VIP Member
    my home made stuff with shot up brass ( in case you lose some ) and a case of Berrys bullets from a sale some CCI
    primers and some bullseye powder.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member
    Ok, did some of you guys even read my post? Just wondering what some people consider good ammo

- no reloads (I reload too, its great - not what I'm looking for),
    - I've shot more brands through my guns than I can remember or count, all do fine (Glocks are great) - not what I'm wondering,
    - I shoot my carry rounds often too - not what I was wondering.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Whatever I shoot but my carry hollow points always get a run. I like to run my SHTF cheaper JHPs too.

American Eagle. The brass is high quality, the OAL is very consistent and it functions well in all my firearms.
    Recon1342 and DanielC like this.

I fire Winchester White Box 9mm for my target rounds. It's cheap, reliable, has the same POI as my carry rounds, and - maybe most of all - is sold by my chosen range so I can buy it and get a discount on range fees. :D

Aside from that Federal American Eagle works well enough for what I need, and is in a similar price range at 50rd boxes and below. So far, my Walther hasn't "disliked" any ammo I've fired through it.
    dangerranger and DanielC like this.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The only factory made ammo that has ever been in my Kahr CM9 is my carry ammo. The rest have all been my reloads. Upwards of 2000 rounds and no problems of any kind with the pistol or ammo.

My go to range ammo is (brace yourselfe ) steel case Wolf ... If a gun runs it will run anything .. I shoot outdoors so being able to pick up the shells with a magnet is great ..

Though I shoot White box a lot or whatever is cheep
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links