Comparing Some of the Best AR ammo: Hornady TAP 75gr, 55gr, and Black Hills 50gr TSX

Comparing Some of the Best AR ammo: Hornady TAP 75gr, 55gr, and Black Hills 50gr TSX

This is a discussion on Comparing Some of the Best AR ammo: Hornady TAP 75gr, 55gr, and Black Hills 50gr TSX within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purpose Today we are comparing three rounds. All of these cartridges are regarded as effective self-defense ammunition in the 5.56x45mm and .223 caliber. There are ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By diggler1833

Thread: Comparing Some of the Best AR ammo: Hornady TAP 75gr, 55gr, and Black Hills 50gr TSX

Lightbulb Comparing Some of the Best AR ammo: Hornady TAP 75gr, 55gr, and Black Hills 50gr TSX

Purpose

Today we are comparing three rounds. All of these cartridges are regarded as effective self-defense ammunition in the 5.56x45mm and .223 caliber. There are many other options that may be just as great as these. Tell me your favorite below, and we'll test it! This is the first video in a four part series. Hopefully by the end we will find the strengths and weaknesses of each cartridge.

The Four tests

• Bare Ballistic Gelatin
    • Auto Glass
    • Car Door
    • Dry Wall

Ammunition

• Black Hills 50gr TSX in 5.56x45mm

This ammo features a full copper design. It is known as "barrier blind" ammunition. This means the projectile is capable of penetrating small obstacles, such as windshields and car doors, while remaining intact. When the bullet strikes soft tissue, it expands like a hollow point to roughly .50 caliber. The all copper design allows Black Hills to produce a much more stable projectile than a lead bullet of the same weight. This is because the less dense copper will yield a longer projectile which is more stable. The mass of the projectile is also set near the base much like an open tip match round. Thank you to /u/noscarstoshow for donating this ammunition!

• Hornady TAP 75gr BTHP in .223 Caliber

The Hornady Tactical Application Police 75gr Boat Tail Hollow Point was designed with consistency in mind. Hornady markets the round as match grade sniper ammunition. The unique design of the 75gr TAP results in a kinetic energy transferring monster of a round. Hornady claims that the TAP 75gr penetrates roughly the same distance as most pistol cartridges. They also suggest that this round is capable of penetration small barriers without deflection. From the ballistic samples provided by Hornady, this seems to be a promising cartridge. It is rumored that this round and the T2 version of the TAP line are sold to law enforcement and military only. I was not able to find any available to the public, and had to resort to a LEO website to obtain this ammunition.

• Hornady TAP 55gr Urban in .223 Caliber

The Hornady Tactical Application Police 55gr Urban cartridge was developed to keep penetration low and kinetic energy transfer high. This round features a 55gr polymer tipped projectile. The construction is meant to midigate the "collateral risk" that a shooter may face in a home defense situation. Hornady does not specifically state that the 55gr Urban will not penetrate barriers, but warns that these rounds should be used when "non-barrier engagements" are expected.

test Results

Black Hills 50gr TSX in 5.56x45mm

• Avg Velocity: 3201 F/S
    • Max Penetration: 19.5in
    • Max Temporary Cavity Diameter: ~9.5in
    • Mass Retained: 50gr 100%
    • Expanded Diameter: 0.48in

Hornady TAP 75gr BTHP in .223 Caliber

• Avg Velocity: 2518 F/S
    • Max Penetration: 16in
    • Max Temporary Cavity Diameter: ~7in
    • Mass Retained: 8gr 11% (all jacket)

Hornady TAP 55gr Urban in .223 Caliber

• Avg Velocity: 2857 F/S
    • Max Penetration: 10.5in
    • Max Temporary Cavity Diameter: ~8in
    • Mass Retained: 22gr 40% (lead core)

After seeing the test, which ammunition do you prefer for bare ballistic gelatin?

Senior Member Array diggler1833's Avatar
    Great test brother. Without watching the video (I'm at work), but reading your findings this is a great way to show the versatility of the modern sporting rifle for defense.

For all around defense, it would be hard to beat the TSX bullets loaded in anything. The only exception would be if you were worried about overpenetration (I'm not).

I'm guilty of holding onto a few hundred rounds of Mk318 Mod 0 ammo for use as my primary defensive round for my DD. I also have a lot of handloaded 55gr TSX for piggies/yotes/deer, that would probably make a good defensive round should the world come to an end.
    usmc9688 likes this.

Thank you. That TSX is a monster!

Sponsored Links