9mm Ammo questions'

This is a discussion on 9mm Ammo questions' within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Carry a Baby Eagle 9mm. Im kinda in a bind, so any input would help..My gun seems to be "Ammo Picky"..trust me yall, ive ...

Thread: 9mm Ammo questions'

9mm Ammo questions'

I Carry a Baby Eagle 9mm. Im kinda in a bind, so any input would help..My gun seems to be "Ammo Picky"..trust me yall, ive tried em all. from GD 124g,Golden Saber 147,Hornady TAP 124,Fed. Hydra-Shok 124, To Win. SXT Supremes,ETC. My Main problem is: When i pull the slide back to load it, the bullet gets jammed!! not good at all. I narrowed it down to Hydrashoks, due to ballistics & what i THOUGHT would feed proper @ first. Some feed well & reliable, TAPS get jammed everytime (they're a little shorter) But Still !! Dont get me wrong here, If my gun is breached & i put in the clip & quick release the slide...everything works!! But, if it came down to it, I doubt an intruder would give me time to do all that!!! Im a Newbie, & am learning, but i think it would be more helpful to find out answers sooner, rather than the hard way......Could it be the slide,barrel,magazine, or the ammo like i started with?http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...1/confused.gif
    Last edited by Hollowp84; January 25th, 2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: wrong title..

2. Remove Ads

Hard to tell

Hard to tell from a distance. Does it happen with all your magazines? Sounds at first to me like it could be magazine related. I'd start with a good cleaning and inspection of the magazine and go from there. They're not common mags, so maybe time to stock up on a few more. If that's not it, time for a trip to the gunsmith. New springs, less than $20. Throat and polish, also less than $20. Good luck, keep us posted.

You might also want to look at Corbon Powerball if your 9mm doesn't feed reliably.

Biker

I don't work for Corbon but I love their ammo and it's all I carry in my 9mm's.

How old is this gun? How many rounds through it? Every, and I mean every, gun requires a break-in period before everything is well and truly polished by use. You can speed up that process by having a gunsmith do the ol' action/trigger job, as suggested above. Any gun can be finicky as to which ammo it likes best. The Corbons all seem to be shorter than most other products out there, and for whatever reason they don't work well in either my CZ P01 or Browning BDM.

Two rounds that do work exceptionally well in my two pistols, from a reliability standpoint, are these: DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P, and Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP 124gr +P+. These both feed extremely well. The DT's are amazingly smooth ... the best I've ever experienced. I'd recommend trying a couple boxes of each of these, to see how they do. I would also trust either to defend my life. There are only a couple others that meet this criterion.

The DT's can be found at: DoubleTapAmmo.com .

The Federals can be found at: CheaperThanDirt.com .

Again, don't underestimate the power of a good gunsmith's magic wand. Many (most?) guns can benefit by this. If you're relying on your pistol to defend yourself, it's cheap, cheap insurance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I am not an expert, but.... that will not stop me from blathering!
    1. Sounds like a magazine issue. I agree with superhouse on that. Most problems like this in semis are magazine related, or mags make them worse, at least in my limited experience.
    2. I would not rely on the gun until this is fixed!
    3. Revolver, anyone....
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Are you "riding the slide" as you let it forward? If so, don't. Pull the slide back as far as you can (you will feel it stop at its' limit) and release completely. When you state that everything is OK when you release the slide from the slide lock, this indicates that you are doing something different when you cycle the slide manually.

Also, take a close look at the feed ramp on your barrel. I like mine to be so well polished they look like the chrome on an old english motorcycle (Old Triumphs used to have the best). If the slide is not well polished the nose of the bullet can drag across the rough surface or any lead/copper that may be smeared there, thus reducing the chambering force. Again, because it works OK when you manually release from "slide lock", I think you problem is more a case of not releasing cleanly by hand or riding the slide as it closes.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Thanks alot to Everyone!!!Im going to try ALL of the above, & see what is Really going on as far as "troubleshooting the problem" (literally..haha) But as Amlevin said, i might just be trying to rock the slide forward & watch it feed, rather than loading the gun w/out amusement & getting the intentional job done. Hey, just being honest...But why are Hydra-Shoks feeding fine if that is the case?? Anyways, any & many more suggestions are very much welcome to this issue. Im currently offshore & wont be Home for another 2 weeks, So I wont be able to do anything until i get home...But i guess that leaves 2 more weeks of answers possibly?!? While we are at it, Quick question: Hornady TAP vs. Hydrashok...? Or is there something better out there that is not police issue ammo?..

I'd definitely consider having a good 'smith look it over. It does sound like it could be weak mag springs but that's only a guess on my part. If you've done a lot of shooting with these mags it might just be time to replace the springs.

I use Wolff springs exclusively but there's one other brand that seems to be showing promise - can't recall their name at the moment but either Bumper or QKShooter have posted some in depth info about them a while back and I'm sure they'd be able to chime in.

Check http://www.brownells.com to see if they carry Wolff springs for your pistol.
    Jack

EDIT: Brownell's didn't seem to have anything but here's a link to Wolff's site: http://www.gunsprings.com/
    Last edited by maclean3; February 7th, 2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added Wolff link.

Links