Did Fiochi Ammo fix their problem?

This is a discussion on Did Fiochi Ammo fix their problem? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of months ago I saw that Fiochi had recalled their ammo for some reason. After seeing a good deal for ammo for training ...

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

A couple of months ago I saw that Fiochi had recalled their ammo for some reason. After seeing a good deal for ammo for training I'm contemplating getting some, but I don't want any Kabooms.

Anyone know the status.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

all you have to do is check lot #'s and make sure you dont have any of that lot that was recalled

VIP Member
    At the range this week, we had a fellow using Fiocci in his XD45 and had case head seperation. It blew the ejector off of the gun.

He was sitting in with the gunsmith boo-hooing, while the rest of us were checking case lots on his stuff and sure enough he was using recalled ammo.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

As far as I remember the only lots recalled were in 9mm.

Here is the list.
    http://www.fiocchiusa.com/recall.php

Bad .32 Fiocchi.

Just worked on a customer's gun in .32ACP. He was having trouble that turned out to be (Fiocchi) ammo related. Turns out it was a squib, and we had another one later from the same box. It was SJHP with exposed lead, and being curious we shot some into wet newspaper. Not only did it fail to expand, it blew unburned or partially burned powder all over the newspaper (a "near squib?"). It certainly wasn't close to a kaboom by itself, if anything it was underpowered. With a functioning round behind it, different story.

This failure seems particularly dangerous to me. Failure of cheap range ball is bad, but can mostly be expected under range conditions. I can see where someone would like the look of this particualr load and carry it, only to get a surprise in a gunfight.

VIP Member
    Man, I must be losing my brain. The two things I am sure of it was Fiochi ammo he was using and it was 45 acp. The counter guys were checking the list and said it was on the recall. But your list, no kidding, shows it to be 9mm. Now you make me wonder and I got to go to the range to find out! Darn the bad luck.

I do know that the guy with the XD45 was plenty torqued and unhappy as he damaged his XD and he hadn't had it for long.

I have shot lots of Fiochi shot shells without a problem.

I will report back.

Update: This was bothering me so I called the range and talked to the gunsmith. I got most of it right. It was Fiochi, it was 45 ACP, it was a XD45, and the case did rupture, seperating the head from the case, which remained in the barrel.

It was NOT one of the recalled ammo lots as the recalled ammo was 9MM, as jualdeaux said. Thats what I get for being old and wearing earmuffs off the firing line.

Sorry for the confusion and good catch jualdeaux.
    Last edited by Chorizo; January 27th, 2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: update to post
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links