.45 Gold Dots: Speer or Double Tap

This is a discussion on .45 Gold Dots: Speer or Double Tap within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone shot both the .45 Speer and DoubleTaps in 200 or 230g? I can get the DoubleTaps for less money, but how do they ...

Thread: .45 Gold Dots: Speer or Double Tap

Question .45 Gold Dots: Speer or Double Tap

Has anyone shot both the .45 Speer and DoubleTaps in 200 or 230g? I can get the DoubleTaps for less money, but how do they compare?

2. Remove Ads

Less money even with shipping?

Yes, less for the DoubleTap even w/ shipping! But the $$$ are not as important as performance, so am more than willing to spend whatever it takes for the one that is better.
    Last edited by obxned; January 27th, 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: addition

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    As documented here, I am a fan of Speer and that is what I have in my P220.... The main reason being that they are so clean and consistent. The bonded construction of the Gold Dot bullets has shown consistent performance regarding jacket/core separation and expansion. Speer lawman is one of the cleanest practice loads around and the blue box makes for an excellent target at the range...

That said, I would go with Double Tap without hesitation and may do so in the future exclusively.....

Mike McNett is a stand up guy and I have yet to walk away dissatified after a range session with his ammo. I feel strongly that it is important to support businesses that are run by fellow firearms advocates / afficionados such as he.

Let us know what you decide...
    Last edited by dimmak; February 14th, 2007 at 11:14 AM.
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Yes, less for the DoubleTap even w/ shipping! But the $$$ are not as important as performance, so am more than willing to spend whatever it takes for the one that is better.
    I've shot DoubleTap in 9mm. Extremely good stuff in my CZ P01. Haven't shot the .45ACP but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just as excellent. Very smooth, huge performance, accurate. I spoke with him on the phone and he's genuinely got things to be proud of, with DT. New equipment, great focus on quality. Competitively priced. And hard to beat the performance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i tried the 3 different weights of gold dots from doubletap, and i prefer the 200 gr out of my pistol. however, i do still wonder a little bit since it isn't as widely produced how it would look in court...just a thought.

bottom line i had no problems with reliability or accuracy with any of the three weights, and was impressed with the quality and the price.

If you made it to court, then the bullet did its job. If asked why I chose that load, the answer is simple: It's American made, and, since I'm not an ammo expert, it is great to be able to call or e-mail them and get an answer to my questions. Tough for a prosecuter to make any hay with that!

I would not be lying either. Sent a question by e-mail to Mike McNett and got a reply within an hour or so.

Links