.38 SPL 110gr(+P) or 158gr LRN

This is a discussion on .38 SPL 110gr(+P) or 158gr LRN within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately the local stores have had nothing in the way of revolver ammo. However the other day while browsing the ammo shelves at Gander Mountain ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: .38 SPL 110gr(+P) or 158gr LRN

Lately the local stores have had nothing in the way of revolver ammo. However the other day while browsing the ammo shelves at Gander Mountain I noticed they had Remington .38 Special in stock but only 110gr JHP (+P) and 158gr LRN loadings. We all know that niether are a top choice in defensive ammo today, but if you were limited to only these two types of ammo which would you choose and why?

Dang it posted in the wrong forum, would a moderator please move this to the ammo forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 336A View Post
    Lately the local stores have had nothing in the way of revolver ammo. However the other day while browsing the ammo shelves at Gander Mountain I noticed they had Remington .38 Special in stock but only 110gr JHP (+P) and 158gr LRN loadings. We all know that niether are a top choice in defensive ammo today, but if you were limited to only these two types of ammo which would you choose and why?
    Hornady Critical Defense has 110 gr .38 Special + P, but in their designed FTX which is hollow point.
    I would not want to be hit with one of them sweet potatoes for sure
    NickBurkhardt and ccman like this.
    Endowment - Life Member NRA, Member of GOA, VFW and SAF
    "An armed society is a polite society." Robert A. Heinlein

Maine = Life, Liberty & Pursuit of Happiness,,, at its Best !
    IMHO, any ammo on the shelf is acceptable, just buy it up like everyone else, then use the lighter rounds for TP (although the +p is ok for DC) and the hotter rounds for EDC or even Tactical (real scenario/ obstacle course) type TP.

Never pass up an opportunity to add to your Ammo Cache. Does anyone ever say, "I have too much Ammo ?" Didn't think so.
    "If possible, on your part, live at peace with everyone ."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Romans 12: 18 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruger SP101 357 Magnum 3" ~ N82 Tactical IWB
    "It's Okay to say God" Carry Safe & Smart !

OD*
    Dang it posted in the wrong forum, would a moderator please move this to the ammo forum.
    Done.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Buy the solids and drill a HP cavity in them.

When I was a kid, I would take a razor blade and x my lead bullets to get better killing power out of them for use on wild dogs.
    Worked better than anything we had before the Stinger, Expeditor, or Yellow Jackets.

Same can be done with a centerfire. And the lead bullets are cheaper!
    Recon1342 and BamaT like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

M3
    Although 158 grain LRN "the widow maker" is close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of tissue crushing volume (semi-wadcutter being even less effective in volume of tissue crushed), it is probably easier and perhaps more accurate to shoot than the light +P round -- which probably will not perform as well as some of the heavier JHPs +P in .38 special. Nevertheless, the Rem. semi-jacketed 110 grain JHP +P seems like a somewhat better choice, unless in your revolver you can shoot the LRN more accurately.

There is a reason hollow points were developed and mass produced as soon as production capabilities reached that point. The LRN is ok for range ammo, but not SD.
    BamaT likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    There is a reason hollow points were developed and mass produced as soon as production capabilities reached that point. The LRN is ok for range ammo, but not SD.
    Yes, there is a good reason: to make small bullets act and thus perform like big bullets. LRN, SWC, etc. are indeed quite decent for target practice.

I'm gonna leave the lightweight bullets for insignificant cartridges like the .380 and would choose the 158 grain lead round nose for stoking up the .38 Special if limited to the two. There are some red hot +P 110 grain JHPs out there that I've not tested but none tried over chronograph screens amounted to much except for the old Super-Vel load and it was an expansion let-down despite it's blistering velocity.
    glockman10mm and ctr like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm gonna leave the lightweight bullets for insignificant cartridges like the .380 and would choose the 158 grain lead round nose for stoking up the .38 Special if limited to the two. There are some red hot +P 110 grain JHPs out there that I've not tested but none tried over chronograph screens amounted to much except for the old Super-Vel load and it was an expansion let-down despite it's blistering velocity.
    Trivial, of no consequence, ie. insignificant -- your description of something that has killed many people and is capable of doing so again and again?

Quote Originally Posted by M3 View Post
    Although 158 grain LRN "the widow maker" is close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of tissue crushing volume (semi-wadcutter being even less effective in volume of tissue crushed), it is probably easier and perhaps more accurate to shoot than the light +P round -- which probably will not perform as well as some of the heavier JHPs +P in .38 special. Nevertheless, the Rem. semi-jacketed 110 grain JHP +P seems like a somewhat better choice, unless in your revolver you can shoot the LRN more accurately.

I'd take the 158gr RN over the 110gr SJHP any day ; )
    H/D
    glockman10mm and Recon1342 like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 View Post
    ... something that has killed many people and is capable of doing so again and again?
    Yup- just like the .38 Special 158 gr LRN and LSWC.
    glockman10mm, ctr and BigJon10125 like this.

M3
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Yup- just like the .38 Special 158 gr LRN and LSWC.
    indeed. Hardly insignificant EITHER.

When comparing bullet weight and energy figures, the 380 is insignificant compared to the 38spl as loaded by factory.
    Roll your own and the 38spl flat out walks on the 380.

Another great load for the 38 spl would be the old 38/200 load. It becomes unstable from a short barrel and tumbles, which has got to hurt...ouch!
    hogdaddy and Recon1342 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links