storing ammo in clips

This is a discussion on storing ammo in clips within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spring meterial technology has made major advances in recent years. Mag springs seem to last for ever anymore. If you are concerned once a year ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: storing ammo in clips

Spring meterial technology has made major advances in recent years. Mag springs seem to last for ever anymore. If you are concerned once a year order new ones from Wolf and discard the old ones, they ain't expensive.

2. Remove Ads

ok thanks for all the input guys, u helped me out a lot.

i would also like to add, if you own an AR-15 or really any 5.56, HK 30 round mags are the S*%T! their heavier and stronger and their extended followers don't allow jamming (no matter where you press on it) they also load smooooooth as a hot knife through butter!

Administrator
    A lot depends on the quality of the springs.
    Improperly made springs will take a set and will often fail or get weak.

Most modern properly made magazine springs will not have failure problems.

Modern Chrome Silicon springs reportedly can go 6 million compression cycles without failure.

Buy good quality magazines for your pistol as the magazines are the weakest link in any pistol.

Colt uses Wolff Recoil Springs already in their factory produced pistols.
    Shhh...don't tell anybody!

Magazines have followers and springs, clips don't.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Loading a magazine to capacity and keeping it loaded will cause no harm to the mag spring. I keep a number of AR and 1911 mags loaded to capacity, rotating them occasionally to refresh the load.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Pulling from my Strengths of Materials class, metal springs do not lose their strength/performance until they are stretched or bent beyond the steel's elastic limit. The bending and compression associated with magazines, including keeping a magazine loaded, should not exceed the elastic limit. If it does, you may want to consider finding a better manufacturer. Drastic temperature changes and extremes could possibly take a toll on magazine springs, but we are talking about conditions you are unlikely to encounter.

Eight Pistols...

about 4 mags for each...all loaded...at all times...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i have had a few wilson combat mags for my 1911's. one in the firearm, 3 back-ups(i dont carry all three) i know of one for sure that has been loaded with hornady tap+p for the past year and a half. i decided to use it up when i switched to corbon dpx. did not have a problem with it at all. i have 3 47d 8rd, and one 10rd beauracat(probably misspelled that) have not had a problem with any of them. if you carry a 1911 these things are a must!!
    it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

I'd hate to assume and be wrong. Does this apply to shotgun magazines also? Does anyone have any hands on experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    What brand are you carrying? Me personally - I carry a Glock 22 with a 10 round mag in the weapon and 2 15 rounders on my belt. I load with 1 in the pipe and 9 in the magazine, and the two 15 rounders on my belt are loaded with 13 rounds each.

"Why a 10 round mag when 15 round mags are available" you may ask? Simple...the 10 rounders function much better than the 15 rounders do...that's just my opinion, of course. I know, I know, everybody thinks I'm crazy - and yeah, to an extent I AM but I still like the 10 rounders better as far as feeding goes. Besides...I was trained to keep count of your rounds and not let your weapon run dry.

But in answer to your question...you should be fine as long as you don't load to "full" capacity and get new mags about twice a year.
    get new magazines twice a year and that if you don't even keep them fully loaded? Sounds like a big waste of cash. However, I'd be happy to take the mags you only keep for 6 months out of your hands ;)
    Rather get a few spare mags and rotate them every few weeks.
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy8 View Post
    does anyone know if it is bad for the clips to store your ammo in them for a long period of time? i just dont want to wear out the spring inside the clip from just keeping the ammo inside it for long periods of time and not being used.
    Vernacular... cartridges should be placed in MAGAZINES. Clips are used to hold hair/paper/etc together.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

VIP Member
    No, use them any way you want, you can always get replacement springs.

Typically not a problem in modern MAGAZINES. (yes mr. murphey...I know you could be listening)
    Though a few months ago I was teaching a CCW class and one of the students came in with a Makarov with a loaded magazine (I kindly pointed out that he had already broken the law but I also had a bad memory) He had explained for protection he had purchased it 5 years earlier loaded the magazine but never ever went to go shoot the gun. He thought the gun fairy's would come down and sprinkle magic ninja dust on him when the time was necessary to protect himself and his family. To his amazement when I grabbed the magazine to depress the top bullet....the spring collapsed, thus rendering the weapon useless. Needless to say he payed attention during the class and later during a one on one re: weapon choices and maintenance.

I know this is about storing ammo in mags and the spring issue, but just read about a problem with using the same top round in the same mag over and over when going locked and loaded repeatedly and finally getting to fire the round. The case was a police officer that cleared his gun at the end of his shift and reloaded the round on top, this went on for several months before he went to the range and fired that mag. The bullet is forced back in the case and compress the load and the result was a slide being blown off the weapon. Just food for thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links