More bad news about ammo - Page 2

More bad news about ammo

This is a discussion on More bad news about ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Time to build up the cache. Don't want to be caught short. Makes me think of Tank Johnson of the Chicago Bears who was written ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More bad news about ammo

Time to build up the cache. Don't want to be caught short. Makes me think of Tank Johnson of the Chicago Bears who was written up for having over 500 rounds (!) of ammunition in his house. Heck, I have more than that for each caliber I've got! If I'm headed to the range, or on a trip, I'll have more than that in my car!

Perspective is a powerful thing . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    After this war is over there should be an excess of ammo and maybe a drop in prices .
    I doubt the War on Terror is going to end for many years. It will move from Iraq to other locations, but it will continue. "Unintended Consequences" strikes again.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

That does it...I am going to order the Lee Classic Turret kit from Cabelas NOW......

I used to reload for everything from .38 through 7mm, 30-'06 shotgun, etc. Got away from it. After reading these posts I'm going to have to go up to the attic and dig out the stuff that's left and re-tool. I didn't realize that ammo was so hard to come by. I've currently got about 500 ea. for .38, 9mm, .45 and .223. I don't think that's enough.

BuzzG
    NRA Endowment Member

I wonder if anyone has figured out the break even point for reloading your own ammo? I fire less than 100 rounds a month and I don't feel that at my age it is worth getting into reloading. However I am sure that there is more to it than just saving a little.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

When .223 could be had for $.18/rd., reloading was pointless, as that was about what components cost. Now that it is almost $.26 for the same ammo, I'm glad I saved all those thousands of empties over the years...

I shoot more 9x19 than anything else ATM, glad I have a small crate of .223 & 7.62x39 around.

.223 cost is up enough where I can now justify reloading. 1,000 rounds reloaded this week using military 1-fired and pulled down 62gr bullets. About $.15 per round.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

WWB 100-round "value" packs of 9mm FMJ just went up from $12.86 to $15 at my Walmart!

Shoulda gone and bought a 1000 a few weeks ago like I'd been meaning to and never did...

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    WWB 100-round "value" packs of 9mm FMJ just went up from $12.86 to $15 at my Walmart!

Shoulda gone and bought a 1000 a few weeks ago like I'd been meaning to and never did...
    I got 3 boxes the day after Christmas when it was 12.88, added it to the other 300 or so I already had...

increased prices for all ammo

Last year at this time you could buy 1000 rounds of poly coated bi-metal wolf in 7.62 x39mm for $109.00 delivered to your door. Glad I bought 1000 FMJ and 1000 HP. However, when I started loading 12 ga. for trap ( about 8 years ago) a 25 lb. bag of shot cost between $11.00 and $12.00. I could load a box of shells for abour $2.35. Hulls were no problem, including Fed. paper, as I got them free from the Olympic center. I've since gone through 1/2 ton of shot and was amazed to find shot now cost close to $20.00 a bag. At that price you're not saving any money by loading your own. I still load shot shells but only because I like 1and1/8 oz. over Green Dot through Federal paper hulls. People that seem to know about these things tell me that prices won't be going down because the Chinese are grabbing all the metals available on the world market. Might have to go back to the Littleton shot maker and wheel weights. Good shootin' to y'all. dgang

Do You Think That The Oil Companies...

have been buying up the ammo companies...smells like it!

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Cost savings is but one of the benefits of reloading. Steady availability is my reason. My son is now faced with a decision to suck it up and pay out the wazoo for good factory .300 Wby. Magnum ($50+ per 20), or reload for around $32 for 20 to HIS specs with premium bullets. That's a no-brainer for me.

I'm just shy of 2000 for my .45 and less for other firearms. I am just past the emergency inventory level, but not quite to the Hillary level. This situation is likely to worsen before it gets better. We have a constant threat from our elected "leaders" and an increasing BG population. Anyone doing the math should come to the conclusion to stock up - NOW and bite the bullet on the price (no pun intended!). Start reloading and buying extra reloading components. It won't be long before we either need our stash for survival, or we won't be able to buy anything - or both!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Excess Ammo "after the war"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    After this war is over there should be an excess of ammo and maybe a drop in prices .
    and after the war we civilians may very well need it!
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

Converting to ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    have been buying up the ammo companies...smells like it!

ret
    Anyone come up with a way to convert old computer parts to ammo? I could supply a small army....
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links