My Sig doesn't like Hornady HPs (or vice versa)

This is a discussion on My Sig doesn't like Hornady HPs (or vice versa) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Sig P232, it's a great gun. I have tried a few different types of SD ammo in it and settled on Hornady ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sig doesn't like Hornady HPs (or vice versa)

My Sig doesn't like Hornady HPs (or vice versa)

I have a Sig P232, it's a great gun. I have tried a few different types of SD ammo in it and settled on Hornady XTP .380 HPs.
    I shoot what I carry, that means I not only get weekly range time with whatever gun I am carrying regularly but I also shoot at least a mag or two of that carry ammo. The Hornady was fine until this last box, it sticks on the feed ramp, jams the slide and then gets compressed. The bullet gets pushed back into the casing sufficiently so that it is useless. It has happened with 10+ out of two 7 round mags after I cleaned the gun earlier today.
    My gun is clean, it isn't damaged. I have had it about 4 months and have put about 500 rounds through it.
    The ammo was bought at a gun show, it wasn't super cheap but it was from a guy I don't know. Luckily I only bought the one box so if it is this box of ammo I'm not out of pocket to the cost of a case.
    It's strange though, the bullet gets seated further by the slide and becomes unusable.
    Anyone else ever have this?

I might get replace them HPs with a filled end, is it Cor-Bon that make those? Is the end filled with plastic?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    The Pow'r'ball is fitted with a polymer ball in the tip and so feed like FMJ's. Then too are the EFMJ's with also a FMJ profile but expandable capability.

I have never tried a Hornady anything in my SIGs but those are 9mm and .45acp.

The most apparent aspect which concerns me is what would appear to be a very insecure taper crimp, if the bullet can be set back as you describe.

I have tried a few SD rounds but stick to GD's and have for ages now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The most apparent aspect which concerns me is what would appear to be a very insecure taper crimp, if the bullet can be set back as you describe.
    I haven't measured it but it looks like they receded about an eighth of an inch, leaving a clearly defined recess around the mouth of the casing.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm an 1/8" - more than enough to produce over pressures

Right now I can only feel less than friendly towards the ammo altho, I do use with some pleasure Hornady 300 grain .454 ammo

I am thinking your feed ramp is pretty steep but that should not condone the apparent set back.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Follow up: I took the gun to the range today and fired 100 rounds of FMJ without incident followed by two mags of Winchester Silver Tips, also without incident.
    I think I got a dud box of Hornady from that gun show.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Me, I would lose that box of ammo. Being pushed back that far may bring pressure up more than desired. Just my thoughts
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    Me, I would lose that box of ammo. Being pushed back that far may bring pressure up more than desired. Just my thoughts
    Oh they are well out of harms way and replaced with Silver Tips as mentioned above.
    I considered notifying Hornady but I doubt they will take interest.

It may not have been Hornady, at all, and you got suckered. If you like your Hornady round, I'd try another box from a dealer you know, before you make any decisions. I've heard the 232 can be a little finicky, sometimes, but it sounds like you had a round that worked. I'd give it another try before deciding.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I was having the same problem , but only with Hornady TAP's. They would get jammed at the feed ramp & the only way they would load correctly, was to Breach the gun, then use the slide lock release to Load. Which in times of an emergency were to occur, i would be in a serious bind! I also noticed that they were shorter than most other brands of 9mm ammo. I'm not too sure if its With all Hornady bullets with this problem/design, but my baby eagle didnt like them one bit. My Pistol also has a pretty steep feed ramp, so ive quit using Hornady for the time being & Switched to Fed. HST's. Which ive noticed, Have a similar shape of a FMJ, Only with a HP Design & Cavity. Ive not had any problems with HST's Out of the 150 or so ive shot. My pistol surely has some more breaking in to do, But a BG wouldnt give me the time of day to explain that , if it came down to the situation. So, ive switched to strictly Speer GD & Fed HST, which have very similar design & shape. Just a thought..im not an expert, but my 2 cents may help some.

I have 5 boxes of Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball coming this week, I think they will fix the problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I have 5 boxes of Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball coming this week, I think they will fix the problem.
    Where did you find the Pow'R Ball in .380? The places I've checked didn't have it. I want some for my FI Pony. It doesn't like ammo with a flat nose. I haven't had any problems with Federal HydraShoks, but I don't want to take any chances. I use Pow'R Ball in my 9mm, .357SIG, 10mm, and .45 pistols and really like it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

No in 380 but in 45 acp i have started having problems with it running in my les baer 1911 200 rounds or so have been fine but last 3 boxs its jammed every 1911 i have tried it in and bullet set back i noticed when i got home so its off my carry list

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    That will fix your problem, I have some Hornady tap and only use
    one in the chamber followed by pow'r'balls.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Where did you find the Pow'R Ball in .380? The places I've checked didn't have it. I want some for my FI Pony. It doesn't like ammo with a flat nose. I haven't had any problems with Federal HydraShoks, but I don't want to take any chances. I use Pow'R Ball in my 9mm, .357SIG, 10mm, and .45 pistols and really like it.
    I saw it online but out of stock, then I went into a small Mom and Pop military surplus store that sells ammo, they had it in .40 and said they could order it in .380.
    Should be in later this week.

Fired two boxes (40 rounds) with zero issues.
    The gun's accuracy improved and there was no perceived difference in recoil.
    No photos but I got a rapid fire 1.5" 8 shot group at 20 feet, not bad for a BUG.
    I'll try another two boxes and then start carrying my Sig again.
    I'm pleased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links