fmj or hp when carrying .380

This is a discussion on fmj or hp when carrying .380 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was carrying some federal hydrashoks in my bersa thunder 380 and on another forum a handful of users claim that fmj is better to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fmj or hp when carrying .380

fmj or hp when carrying .380

I was carrying some federal hydrashoks in my bersa thunder 380 and on another forum a handful of users claim that fmj is better to carry in that low of a caliber because it will have better penetration power. Why is it that they even make hollowpoints for calibers lower than 9mm then? Does anyone agree or disagree with carrying fmj rather than hp?
    Last edited by bellbw; February 6th, 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I realized I have this in the wrong section but don't know how to move it!

2. Remove Ads

I just realized this is in the wrong section...sorry!

Hollow points in my Sig P232.
    If I'm going to have only 7+1 rounds then I want them to at least expand.

Assistant Administrator
    No sweat - moved it

Oh and welcome also!!

I honestly do not expect .380 to be a very expansive ammo with HP's. Just not enough ''oomph''. I have my wife set up with a Bersa .380 - and my step daughter also. I only favor FMJ's to be honest and set them up with same.

I daresay some expansion with HP's might occur but my cynical side thinks that will be down to chance and clothing issues.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

what about alternating them in the clip...hp, rn, hp, rn? I heard this could cause rimlock...is this true?

Assistant Administrator
    Alternating - IMO NO ... and NO.

Make darned sure that what is in the gun feeds flawlessly and stick to it - I never feel a ''mix'' is in any way beneficial at all.... in any gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lot of Discussion on this

there has been quite a few articles in shooting magazines and studies posted on web sites on this issue.

Cor-Bon DPX & Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel have supposedly posted good results in both penetration & expansion.

Regretfuly, non of us can afford ballistic gelatin or the time and equiptment needed to get our own results. SO these studies and forensic studies are all we can count on. It's not as simple as our being able to adjust our own sight to point of aim.
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

forgot a link

try this link

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Bersa%20Thunder.htm

and yes I happen to like my Bersa.... But I like all my tools for some reason or another or they have to find a new home
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Hollow points in my Sig P232.
    If I'm going to have only 7+1 rounds then I want them to at least expand.
    That is my thought. I have a Kel-tec with 6+1 and I want all the help i can get for more stopping power.

Elder51 thanks for the link!!! I may have to run some of the Corbons through to see if they will feed. I am currently carrying Winchester SXTs, I tried the Federals but they did not feed properly and caused 3 jams from a box of 20 in my gun. I guess mine is picky.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I carry fmj just because I wasn't satisfied with the penetration of the jhp in my Kel-tec. Some of them expanded a little, but barely penetrated most of the objects I shot at(jugs of water, phone books, clay). I couldn't even penetrate an old oil drum with the Jhp's. Not too confidence inspiring. The fmj's penetrated much deeper and through all materials mentioned.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

VIP Member
    In my Bersa I carry CorBon Powerball. I really like the idea behind the round. Its a hollowpoint with a polymere ball in the hollowpoint. It almost looks like a roundnose and suppose to work like one. The ball is also suppose to help the round in expansion. But being a 380 in at the very end of calibers for carry concealment ( just my opinion ) , I carry extra mags.

Senior Moderator
    I carry Hydro-shocks in my .380 Makarov. If they do not expand then they should act like a FMJ.

If they expand you might not get really good penatration. But I will trust Fedearl's test results.

I agree that mixing rounds HP & FMJ is not a good idea.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I use DPX. The seem to expand more reliably than others and in tests they go deeper.

I have pow'r balls too but don't carry them. I saw a test a while back, i think it was wetpack, and it didn't penetrate very much and the bullet just looked square when it was removed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I use DPX. The seem to expand more reliably than others and in tests they go deeper.

I have pow'r balls too but don't carry them. I saw a test a while back, i think it was wetpack, and it didn't penetrate very much and the bullet just looked square when it was removed.

If you can tell me where you seen this I surely would apreciate. I really like the theory behind the round but like you stated this might be a round that does not work like they state. I am a big fan of CorBon DPX also but just did not carry it in my 380.

If I were to carry a "mouse gun" and the .380 is what I consider a "mouse gun", I would load it with Corbon DPX or Power Ball.

That's just my opinion.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links