Fiocchi extrema 124gr vs Winchester silvertip 115gr vs remington umc 115gr

This is a discussion on Fiocchi extrema 124gr vs Winchester silvertip 115gr vs remington umc 115gr within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did some hillbilly ballistic testing this weekend with some 9mm I happened to have sitting around in my closet. They were the Fiocchi extrema 124 ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By craze
  • 2 Post By forestranger
  • 1 Post By subhuman

Thread: Fiocchi extrema 124gr vs Winchester silvertip 115gr vs remington umc 115gr

Did some hillbilly ballistic testing this weekend with some 9mm I happened to have sitting around in my closet. They were the Fiocchi extrema 124 grain using the well respected hornady xtp, some old school Winchester 115gr silvertips, and some lowly Remington umc 115gr walmart special ammo. All standard pressure stuff fired from a G26 through 4 layers of denim into gallon water jugs at about 15 ft. I was somewhat surprised by the results.

The Fiocchis failed to expand through the denim penetrated 4 jugs and flattened out on a log set behind the last jug, a second shot without denim expanded perfectly. I was surprised the xtps failed through denim as they seem to do well in other tests I've seen.

The silvertips expanded well completely destroying the first jug and was found in the 3rd. The expansion was somewhat asymmetrical with part of the jacket peeling away from the core but still staying attached. These performed decent but they're as expensive or more so than most more modern premium loads that perform better like Federal's HST.

The UMC surprised me as well. I didn't expect much from Remington's generic hollow-point offering but it expanded nicely and penetrated into the 4th jug. These also shot well out of my g26, I'll probably buy more to keep on hand in bulk as a back up, but I'll still be carrying my 124gr HSTs.

The recoverd bullets are in the pic below from left to right the 2 Fiocchi bullets, the silvertip, and the umc.

DZUS and rugergunner like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I chronographed some Extrema 124 XTP a few years back. Out of a 3.1" barrel, it was under 1000fps. When loaded to 1250 fps (Black Hills +p load), it does pretty well. This was a denim covered wetpack test. The Extrema is third from top.
    Attached Images
    craze and rugergunner like this.

people can bad mouth the silvertips all they want to but nothing I have ever shot with a STHP in any caliber has ever got up and ran off, it has been DRT.
    The XTP is a tuff sucker and it has to be driven too expand and all you are getting is 1.5x expansion, it's forte is penetration and accuracy and it will deliver if you can do your part
    DZUS likes this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.

I'm a Silvertip fan as well. I like the consistent reliability (and relative availability).

I don't always carry 9mm; but, when I do, I use Silvertip.

Stay cautious, my friends.

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I like the Silver tips, but about the only way I find them, is if I were to order them. I have rarely seen them in the LGS's around me. I usually load up with the Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Sabers, or the old school (std. pressure) Federal JHP.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

How long is the barrel on the G26? Been looking for carry ammo for my new shield. One of the only personal defense rounds I can find locally is Hornady Custom with 124 grain XTP.

Might be worth doing my own little red neck testing and just seeing what the XTP does for me. I know the denim and milk jugs aren't scientific data but just for kicks and giggles.

The 26 is a 3.5'' barrel. The silver tip does seem to be a fast opener maybe at the expense of penetration, but I wouldn't be afraid to use them. Off the self availability is spotty, I bought them at the local cabelas but they didn't have any when I went there yesterday. It is fun to shoot stuff other than just punching paper. Do these test really mean anything? I don't know, other than offering a point of comparison if you test every round the same way. I was most pleased to see the cheap umc round do well. A good alternative if you can't find your favorite premium load.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links