9mm EFMJ or Gold Dot

This is a discussion on 9mm EFMJ or Gold Dot within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you choose Federal EFMJ or CCI Gold Dots? Why?...

View Poll Results: 9mm, EFMJ or Gold Dots

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • EFMJ 124gr +p

15 22.39%
  • Gold Dot 115gr

1 1.49%
  • Gold Dot 115gr +p

4 5.97%
  • Gold Dot 124gr

12 17.91%
  • Gold Dot 124gr +p

35 52.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm EFMJ or Gold Dot

9mm EFMJ or Gold Dot

Would you choose Federal EFMJ or CCI Gold Dots? Why?

2. Remove Ads

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I've always gotten very good accuracy, function, and performance with the 124-gr. +P Gold Dot, though I believe that the standard pressure in either 124 or 147-gr. would be equally satisfactory; I just prefer the extra velocity. The load is used by NYPD and seems to be "working".

Best.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I voted for the EFMJ. I've been able to clog Gold Dot with what I wear in the winter (coat, cover garment, sweater or sweatshirt, shirt, undershirt) and have it go zipping off into the earthen berm I use for a backstop. On the other hand, I've not had that problem with the 124gr EFMJ, and both velocity and penetration seem to be sufficient.

I do, however, carry three magazines: One in the gun with 124gr EFMJ, a spare with 124gr EFMJ, and one with 124gr +P Gold Dot loaded by Black Hills. While I voted EFMJ, I would have to say "both" to be completely truthful.

Josh <><

Assistant Administrator
    I like the press about EFMJ but have used GD 124's for ages, both std pressure and +P. I also have a good stock of the +P's on hand and so am unlikely to change over for a good while yet.

My own tests on the GD's in wet pack - even just std pressure, did make me well comfortable with bullet characteristics.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

To be honest the Gold Dots do work well but out of my Kahr K9 Federal 124+P EFMJ & 147 HST work the best as far as 100&#37; relibility and are the more accurate for me.

DRT
    I wouldnt us any of them, particularly the gold dot since it plugs too easily with heavy clothing, like Joshua said above. Not a good choice unless you live in Hawaii.

I'd go with 147gr HST, 147gr Ranger T, or 127gr Ranger T.

I cannot comment on all of the rounds. I carried Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p when a G19 was my duty weapon. I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. I usually don't carry 9mm anymore, but when I do it is now Federal Hy-Shok 115 gr +p+. That round is sailing.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

All I could find in my area is Gold Dots, IIRC they are made in the factory that is close to my house... I asked in a few stores around my place about the EFMJ, and they didn't know what they were.

If the GD plugs, then the profile is the same as the EFMJ. Since the GD is a proven bullet, I cannot recommend the EFMJ over it. The EFMJ is a joke to me. I realize in the Commie state of NJ you can't use HP. My suggestion there is use FN ball.

If you start upping the pressure to over standard pressure for the cartridge, just move up in caliber. My vote for the 9mm is a standard velocity 147gr JHP of proven design (XTP, GD, GS,etc).
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    If the GD plugs, then the profile is the same as the EFMJ. Since the GD is a proven bullet, I cannot recommend the EFMJ over it. The EFMJ is a joke to me. I realize in the Commie state of NJ you can't use HP. My suggestion there is use FN ball.

If you start upping the pressure to over standard pressure for the cartridge, just move up in caliber. My vote for the 9mm is a standard velocity 147gr JHP of proven design (XTP, GD, GS,etc).
    The EFMJ is an advancement in technology its actually a very impressive cartridge. I've seen it work when other "Proven Bullets" Failed. Advancements in technology are a good thing.

Have you tried to use it? Have you actually shot it at differn't materials to see if it works? Have you compared it to other HP's for expansion?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    I've voted for Gold Dots becuase that is what I use in my 9mm. They worked well for me and I know how they shoot in my gun.

I have never tried EFMJ and see no reason for me too. I have not done any comparisons so I can not say how either preforms in different materials etc.

My thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I've voted for Gold Dots becuase that is what I use in my 9mm. They worked well for me and I know how they shoot in my gun.

I have never tried EFMJ and see no reason for me too. I have not done any comparisons so I can not say how either preforms in different materials etc.

My thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

However If it gets better Gas Mileage and performs better why not buy it and try it?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    However If it gets better Gas Mileage and performs better why not buy it and try it?
    That's true. I am not convinced that it gets better mileage.

Here in south Alabama I really don't have to worry about heavy coats clogging up a HP with the exception of 1-2 weeks a year.

If you have any test data that you can link so I can compare I would appreicate it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    That's true. I am not convinced that it gets better mileage.

Here in south Alabama I really don't have to worry about heavy coats clogging up a HP with the exception of 1-2 weeks a year.

If you have any test data that you can link so I can compare I would appreicate it.
    I can send you pics of what what happens when this stuff meets level III armor. As soon as I take them.

Also I can take some picks of the TAP, Hi-shok, Hydroshok, Black Talon (not Ranger Talon) I think theres a couple GD's It may take me a while.

I work Prt Time at a Range/Gun store I want to try and get some of my own testing done. H20, Clothing, WallBoard, Doors, etc...

Senior Moderator
    Thanks Rob,

PM sent.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links