Blown Away ~ Handgun Ammo

This is a discussion on Blown Away ~ Handgun Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The debate "Eternal" 9mm!!! .45!!! 9mm!!! .45!!! Thus the birth of the 10mm...big bullet movin' fast...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blown Away ~ Handgun Ammo

The debate "Eternal"
    9mm!!! .45!!! 9mm!!! .45!!!

Thus the birth of the 10mm...big bullet movin' fast

2. Remove Ads

Many years ago, I shot a guy three time in the chest with tracer rounds from a M-16. I saw the round enter and exit his chest. This did not slow the guy down and he remained standing standing until a M-60 got his attention shortly there after. From that point on I would never again carry a M-16 as primary weapon. I agree with Shooter, I don't think there is any magic calibers.

Administrator

Thumbs up Trader

"Many years ago, I shot a guy three time in the chest with tracer rounds from a M-16."
    3 TRACER rounds completely through the chest ~ I don't even think the movie "special effects" guys have that one quite worked out yet!
    THAT honestly had to be a real "eye opener" to actually SEE that happening & still have the BG keep on a'coming!
    :unitedsta Good Post Trader!
    A Perfect Example!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    I had a guy that was in my Guard unit that had, in Vietnam, fired upon a man on a bicycle with a single round from a .50 MG. He said he hit the guy square in the chest and blew a hole big enough to see all the way through him. The guy continued to pedal a few more seconds before finally falling over still holding the handle bars. While I have never experienced seeing someone actually get shot firsthand, I don't believe what actually happens once you fire is ever what you were expecting.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Usually the three shot deal ends it all... two in the Center mass area, and if that doeens't work out...the third one to the head usualy turns off all the lights! If he's still coming with one to the head, then I think I'm in trouble

there are loads that are very close to "magic". Such as the 223 rifle sp. We can come very close to equalling 223 sp rifle ballisics ( in a full sized belt pistol.) For instance, a 5" barreled 460 Rowland will get an 80 gr .45 Prefrag to 2400 fps. Check out RBCD ammo. They don't really perform as claimed. Not because they can't, but because nobody is willing to load .45 ACP that hot, and risk being sued for blowing up some pos old gun. However, the longer, stronger case and the required fully supported barrel of the 460 Rowland allow the safe use of twice the chamber pressures of the 19,000 CUP that is SAAMI spec for the .45 ACP. Check out the Rowland at Clark Custom guns. They load 230 gr jhp's to 1350 fps, which outperforms factory 44 mag ammo, in the same sized gun.

Whether or not the guy dies is immaterial. The issue is, was he STOPPED, instantly. Lots of guys have died, AFTER they killed or maimed the guy who shot them. We know that a 12ga HP slug, 440 grs at 1400 fps, blows apart a 5 gallon jug (or a big dog's chest) just like a 308 SP does. So it's obvious that if you have ENOUGH more bullet diameter, you don't need the same velocity, in order to have the same horrific effect on the chest organs or the nervous system. The .45 has 4x the frontal area of the 223 bullet.

Administrator

Thumbs up heyu ~ so true!

"Whether or not the guy dies is immaterial. The issue is, was he STOPPED, instantly. Lots of guys have died, AFTER they killed or maimed the guy who shot them."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links