What should I use?

What should I use?

This is a discussion on What should I use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am starting to get really good about guns. I am learning lots and lots of cool thinks about a lot of diffrent guns. Thanks ...

Thread: What should I use?

What should I use?

I am starting to get really good about guns. I am learning lots and lots of cool thinks about a lot of diffrent guns. Thanks to this site too. Now ammo is one think I know very little about. I just bought a Glock 27 .40 cal and I would just wondering what would be the best ammo to carry everyday? I read on a post the .40 had a nice recoil and some guys said to change the ammo the a lower gr. Can someone give me a 101 class on ammo? I just want to know what is the best ammo to carry and what do people like? Thanks
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Most people prefer hollow points or an expanding full metal jacket for carry ammo. I don't own a .40, so I don't know about bullet weight. But any of the major brands of self defense ammo (Speer Gold dots, Federal Hydra-Shock, Corbon DXP, Winshester Ranger/SXTs are some of the most popular) that you find to be 100% reliable in your weapon should serve you well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

DRT
    180gr Federal Tactical HST
    180gr (RA40T) or 165gr (RA40TA) Winchester Ranger T

You wont find them on the shelf at your local Walmart but do yourself a favor and invest a little extra effort to find a source via the internet and order one of the above loads. Why these? They meet or exceed FBI penetration requirements and have the most robust expansion (most reliable and largest diameter) through a variety of intermediate barriers, particularly heavy clothing. Dont get sidetracked by bonded ammo', they perform somewhat better through auto windshields but they dont expand as reliably through other intermediate barriers that most CCW folks will encounter.
    Last edited by DRT; February 16th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

VIP Member
    A 155 or a165, such as corbon or hornady

Any premium ammo will work. I like Corbon DPX and Gold Dot ammo personally.
    Beretta 92FS

My personal preference is the 180 grain RA40T Winchester Ranger.

If you want a box or two, or more, email jwkpatrick@yahoo.com He's good people.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

You've already got some good recommendations on Ammo brands. I personally have 180 grain Remington Golden Sabers sitting in my M&P.40 right now. You really can't go wrong with any of the above brands. The best advice I can give though, is to buy a couple different brands and weights, and go to the range. See what feeds reliable in YOUR gun. See what shoots the best. Then you'll have your winner! Good luck, and stay safe.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

My top two choice would and will be Federal HST and Corbon DPX.
    Get enough so you can practice with your carry ammo to find out your POA and your POI. ( Point of Aim / Point of Impact). Your carry ammo you will find will have different characteristics then your training ammo...FWIW

kpw
    I carried 180gr. Gold Dots in my G27 the last few years. I could get it cheap in bulk packs and use it for training as well. Ammoman has them for $289 per case delivered. Velocity averaged 1034 fps from the 3.5" barrel. I've shot close to 3k rounds of this stuff. One of the best buys in .40 ammo. Ammoman also carries 155gr. and 165gr. if you prefer.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would say to look at the Corbon or Winchester Rangers. I personally prefer the 165 gr. for two reasons:

1. Better balistic performance vs. the 185 gr (this may have changed, I last looked at the numbers about 4 years ago)

2. The 165's seemed to have fewer kb problems which was attributed to the hair shorter bullet length. This gave the bullet a little more breathing room should it seat in a little deeper when being stripped from the magazine and slammed into place by the reciever. 40 S&W is loaded at maximum pressures, so it got a bad rap at the beginning for being accident prone. This was partially to blame because people were reloading it without understanding the nature of the design and they were "experimenting". For that reason, I also will not shoot reloaded .40 s&w.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Speer GD 155gr.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I carry the 165gr Speer Gold Dot in my gun. I had a G27 and the GD always worked great. I now have a S&W M&P .40C and still use the Speer GD. I am trying out some of the Winchester Ranger ammo right now also. The CorBon DPX ammo is good ammo also.
    The best thing to do though is to try several of these ammos and see what works best for you and your gun.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    You got to test it yourself. You also have to test it some lower light conditions. The Glock 27 is a small package with a big bang. I had one and got rid of it due to excess muzzle flip. I would test the ammo for some of the following criteria.

#1 and most important Does it go BANG every time in your gun
    #2 does it make your gun Malfunction
    #3 can you consistantly hit the target with the ammunition you are planning on carrying ( a miss with a Federal HST, or Powerball is less effective than a hit with cheap russian Made wolf HP's)
    #4 Does it create excessive muzzle flash ( this will be a big hinderance if it does since most of your defensive shootings occur at Night) Throw a pair of shades on at the range next time or some welders goggles and see what kind of flash it makes.
    #5 now start to look at does it reliably expand ( this is probably the last thing you should look at, you can get this information via websites, gun magazines, rags, and blogs)

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    I carry the 165gr Speer Gold Dot in my gun. I had a G27 and the GD always worked great. I now have a S&W M&P .40C and still use the Speer GD. I am trying out some of the Winchester Ranger ammo right now also. The CorBon DPX ammo is good ammo also.
    The best thing to do though is to try several of these ammos and see what works best for you and your gun.

Ron
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links