Underwood Xtreme Penetrator

This is a discussion on Underwood Xtreme Penetrator within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.full30.com/video/913d49f...cbd115c27efe5d Ok so with my recent Glock 42 purchase I am researching good 380 ammo. I was planning on carrying this stuff, but then I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Underwood Xtreme Penetrator

Underwood Xtreme Penetrator

https://www.full30.com/video/913d49f...cbd115c27efe5d

Ok so with my recent Glock 42 purchase I am researching good 380 ammo.

I was planning on carrying this stuff, but then I watched shooting the bull's 380 video, & now I'm concerned this stuff will over penetrate to the point of being a potential liability concern.

What is you guy's opinion?

There's plenty of good choices from Federal, Winchester, Speer, Corbon and others.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have some Hornady Critical Defense, but after seeing there horrible performance am not sure I trust them.

I am considering ordering some Fiocchi Extrema XTP considering it's excellent test results & relatively low cost if this Underwood is an over penetrator.
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

PDX1 by Winchester. Ask the dead hog I shot with it. oh wait....

Yes, I did shot a hog with a .380. I've shot a hog with every gun I own and I couldn't leave the ol' .380 out of the fun.
    glockman10mm and hick63 like this.

The Underwood site says that their XPs have a muzzle velocity of something like 1000 fps where Lehigh says that the muzzle velocity is something like 850 fps. So maybe the Lehigh wouldn't penetrate quite as far. The Lehigh site says that the XP penetrates denim and bone about 8" and that seems about right for self defense. I would want something that would penetrate if it has to. I have some questions about what kind of exit the XP makes but if you shoot hogs you could probably tell me. Years ago when I saw my first .22 hollow points I tried one on a rabbit and it made a small entry hole and a very big exit hole. Really made a mess of the rabbit. I hope to do some more testing on the Lehigh XPs soon. If you are fighting for your life you might not be as concerned about what is behind the target as you are about whether you can stop the threat. I have heard arguments both ways, those who are concerned that the round will go through the target and those who are afraid that it won't. I would bet that most people who get attacked don't have to worry about a whole crowd of innocent people behind the aggressor.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshJ10 View Post

I was planning on carrying this stuff, but then I watched shooting the bull's 380 video, & now I'm concerned this stuff will over penetrate to the point of being a potential liability concern.

I'm still stuck on the question. You are worried about over penetration with a .380? Why not carry a rolled-up newspaper? <g> But seriously though, there are several good rounds for the .380 Stick with name brands and you will do just fine. Gold Dot, Golden Sabre just to name a couple. Do not worry about over penetration. If you somehow manage a COM hit, if there is any over penetration, it wouldn't be enough to leave a bad bruise.
    hick63 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I like Fiocchi Extrema XTP because they have nickle plated brass which is easier so see.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana1 View Post
    I'm still stuck on the question. You are worried about over penetration with a .380? Why not carry a rolled-up newspaper? <g> But seriously though, there are several good rounds for the .380 Stick with name brands and you will do just fine. Gold Dot, Golden Sabre just to name a couple. Do not worry about over penetration. If you somehow manage a COM hit, if there is any over penetration, it wouldn't be enough to leave a bad bruise.
    I'm concerned with overpenetration with a 380 round that went 28" into gel, yes.

The round otherwise looks fantastic, & I'd love to carry it. Just seeing if anyone else had any reserves about that test of it.

I'm concerned with overpenetration with a 380 round that went 28" into gel, yes.

The round otherwise looks fantastic, & I'd love to carry it. Just seeing if anyone else had any reserves about that test of it.
    Gel is not organic material. If you want to try it on something close to human tissue, buy a 10 pound pork butt with the bone in, then see how it works. I carry the +P+ 9mm that underwood offers. Great ammo....
    v1k1ng0 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Gel is not organic material.
    Real ballistic gel most certainly is organic material. It's reconstituted pork flesh.

If you want to try it on something close to human tissue, buy a 10 pound pork butt with the bone in, then see how it works.
    That's actually not a very good idea. Popular idea, yes, but not accurate. Dead tissue doesn't react like live tissue, at all. It's more like a dry sponge vs. a wet sponge -- very different response. That's why ballistic gel was developed in the first place, was to emulate LIVING human tissue.
    Norm66 and hick63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingTheBull View Post
    Real ballistic gel most certainly is organic material. It's reconstituted pork flesh.

That's actually not a very good idea. Popular idea, yes, but not accurate. Dead tissue doesn't react like live tissue, at all. It's more like a dry sponge vs. a wet sponge -- very different response. That's why ballistic gel was developed in the first place, was to emulate LIVING human tissue.
    Yes! But where is the bone? Wouldn't a rack of ribs in front of that ballistics gel be more accurate. There is no guarantee that somebody has to stay straight in front of you to attack you. If they did would you miss all of their bones when you shoot? I am really interested in some more testing of the Lehigh XPs in different material.

How come no one worries about the rounds that miss YOU will miss a couple . Them that hit will be slowed down and may not even be a threat Your back mussels are a lot tougher than your front Lots of bullets stop in back or barely exit. I use Corbon DPX or their JHP . If out of DPX Those in 380 should remain in body . I not sold on yet another wonder bullet . That will beat anything on market. and only 20 bucks for 6 . or what ever their charging .
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

Distinguished Member
    Um. Youtube and search Ammoquest 380 tests. They did a pretty exhaustive study.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

Don't know what I would get because I don't own a 380 but underwood makes some hot ammo and I love it!
    CAB980002 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Yes! But where is the bone? Wouldn't a rack of ribs in front of that ballistics gel be more accurate. There is no guarantee that somebody has to stay straight in front of you to attack you. If they did would you miss all of their bones when you shoot? I am really interested in some more testing of the Lehigh XPs in different material.
    Bone isn't there because it's already been tested extensively and proven to be no big deal. The guys who established this standard were well aware about bone, they tried it with, they tried it without, and it just didn't make much difference. Over and over, studies have shown that bone costs, generally, about 2" off the penetration. Which is one reason why the FBI standard is a minimum of 12" of penetration; it already takes into account the effect of the bone.

The Canadian Police Research Centre did a fairly extensive study of pork ribs in gel to determine what the real effect was; I put a link to it at the end of this blog article that discusses why, generally, professional bullet testing of police & self defense ammo doesn't bother with bones.
    Norm66 and hick63 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links