Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator .38 + P ammo

Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator .38 + P ammo

This is a discussion on Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator .38 + P ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The testing of this round in .380 has me interested in it for use in a .38 snub, which suffers from some of the same ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator .38 + P ammo

Question Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator .38 + P ammo

The testing of this round in .380 has me interested in it for use in a .38 snub, which suffers from some of the same issues getting reliable expansion with sufficient penetration.

38 Special +P 140gr Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition ? Lehigh Defense, LLC

If anyone has used this round in a light weight snub such as the LCR, I would be interested in your feedback regarding recoil, POI/POA, and any crimp jump.

A web search didn't turn up much on this ammo in .38...thanks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

Distinguished Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I haven't seen a .38sp test of the XP round, nor any Lehigh Xtreme ammo on the shelves. The only thing I have found to expand reliably out of a snubby LCR is Remington Golden Saber +p.

The .357 mag test looks good
    hick63 and Thanis like this.

A bit too much penetration in .357, but looks promising in .38 - the reliability, penetration and barrier defeating ability of a SWC but with some ability to create a larger wound channel. If it works...

I don't reload, so SWCs are either factory anemic target loads, or nuclear rounds from Buffalo Bore etc that penetrate a bit too much and recoil hard. I'm hoping these might be a nice middle ground, and with the .38 there isn't as much of a need to run a bunch of them through the gun to ensure feeding like there is with the .380 version.

Anyone? Anyone?

Buffalo Bore and Double Tap both make 38+P rounds with hardcast 158gr semiwadcutters (not hollow points) that are marketed as deep penetrators. I've fired the Double Tap and it's very stout from a lightweight snub. Haven't performed (and won't) any gel tests with it.

38 Special+P 158gr. Hardcast Solid? 20rds.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=291
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Thanks Texas Red. I have the DT load, and it does sting the hand when fired from my LCR (mine has Lasergrips, not the cushy standard Hogue grips). It's rated at 900 fps out of a snub and I believe them. The Lehigh load is lighter and a bit slower, so recoil should be less, yet performance should still be good. In theory at least.

I do like that there is no hollow cavity to fail.

Looks like I might have to buy some myself and give them a try...

I purchased some of the .38 XPs from Lehigh and Underwood, but have yet to shoot/test them. I've been waiting to see or hear of some numbers as I don't have the resources (chrono & gel) to do anything formal. Like 10thmtn, I've seen all of the other tests on YouTube in .380 and .357 and compared the box stats of the .38 special. It looks like a promising SD round, I just want to see some hard proof. Tnoutdoors just posted a recent test of the Lehigh XP in 9mm on YouTube and it lived up to its name, too much penetration. I sent him a request and asked if he might give a rundown on the .38 special, but he says he won't be doing anymore handgun ammo tests for some time. Personally I can't believe we haven't seen any 3rd party tests on the .38 special XPs yet as it might just fall in the sweet spot between the .380 and the 9mm. We wait with bated breath!

Hey John - I'd be happy if you could run a few cylinders just to check for crimp jump and POI vs POA. I tried to order some today, but they are out of stock. I don't want the Underwood version - likely too much penetration at 1000 fps. They are out of stock too.

Sure thing 10thmtn! I meant to fire some off at my dad's outdoor range a couple of weeks ago, but forgot to bring them. I should be hitting the local indoor sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted...
    10thmtn likes this.

Would love to see what their .38 spl and .357 rounds would do out of a carbine.

I looked at those bullets real hard for a 380 deep cover gun. Surprisingly I think I noticed there is a "sweet spot" where that bullet really performs well (barrier penetration, excellent wound channel, 12" and not more than 18" of penetration) around 800-850 fps. The Underwood 380 "+P" clocks around 1200 fps and tests determined a lot of over penetration. About like hardball.

I looked at 9mm and it looked like even the non +P drove it so fast it went through 30 inches of ballistic gel with the 4 layers of denim. All that to say I would think 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 9mm +P, 10mm and other hot loads may push the bullet so fast it over penetrates badly. I would be interested to read if the "sweet spot" is real.

If you ever end up in a SD situation 2 legs or 4, I'm guessing under penetration will be a far greater risk than over penetration

It is a very interesting option. Due to lack of penetration I stager rounds (FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP, etc) for 380. Lehigh is likely going to change that for me. 38 I go with HP, was not as worried about penetration because it was +P, but as OP suggests, appears Lehigh is going to be nice in 38.

What some of you might be missing concerning Lehigh is thinking penetration in other rounds is a bad thing. Especially for automatics. I purchased a 10 mm for woods carry. I'm starting to ponder if a 9mm in +p with Lehigh might be a handy woods carry option.

I am especially interested in the 357 sig in Lehigh however 124/125 weight plays a factor with 357 sig.
    NRA Member

I have been looking at the tests on youtube an have two boxes of Lehigh .380 XP being shipped to me as I wright this post. I now carry Hornady Custom 90 gr. XTP, but if the Lehigh will feed relibably and recoil is not a problem, I may switch to these as my primary carry round. They look quite promising for the .380 penatration problem that plage most .380 hollow points.

Alright 10thmtn and those interested, I had the chance to fire a few Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators today at the range. I don't have any ballistics, but some observations. I fired all 20 rounds through my 442 and the concern was crimp jump in an Airweight. I fired two cylinders of name brand Lehigh XP (est. 800 fps) and two cylinders of Underwood's take on the XP.(est. 1000 fps.) I fired the first four rounds of Lehigh and checked the fifth round: no jump observed and fired fine. On the second cylinder of Lehigh I fired the first four and checked the fifth round: jumped crimp about 1mm, but still seated firmly and fired fine. For the Underwood brand, I saw about about .5mm of jump in the fifth round of both the first and second cylinder full. Both were still seated firmly and fired fine. Verdict? I'd still have to see some serious tests before I'd consider making this my EDC SD ammo. However, from what I saw today, I'd probably go with the Lehigh brand over Underwood. Slightly less recoil and less chance of a possible malfunction on that fifth round. C'mon YouTubers?! Someone with the know-how and proper resources, show us what this round can really do! I still say it looks very promising in smaller calibers like .380 and .38, which have a spotty track record when it comes to serious penetration. Anything larger, 9mm included, looks to be high risk for overpenetration.
    10thmtn likes this.

I have some similar PolyCase Inceptor ARX 38SP 78GR with 1600fps claimed on order.

JohnHancock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links