Most Useless Handgun Award - Page 2

Most Useless Handgun Award

This is a discussion on Most Useless Handgun Award within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those cheapo firearms made from Zinc Diecast are dangerous. I KNOW for a fact that "white metal" & Zinc castings eventually get VERY brittle & ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator

Thumbs down Pot Metal Firearms

Those cheapo firearms made from Zinc Diecast are dangerous.
    I KNOW for a fact that "white metal" & Zinc castings eventually get VERY brittle & will shatter like glass. It is decently tough when it is first cast & then something happens to it & it degrades.
    Some of those cheap, older, pot metal handguns are long overdue for some serious safety malfunctions & possible explosions.
    If you own an older Zinc diecast firearm then please don't shoot it anymore.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There is one use I can fathom for such a firearm as a Jennings or a High Point.

Back in World War 2 they used to drop off tons of single shot pot metal guns behind enemy lines. Their purpose?

It gave a resistance fighter a chance to shoot a German and take his much nicer guns that were actually serviceable.

But even at that I just saw a Taurus Model 84 going for $125. It looks like hell. But the cylinder looked good, the side to side play was acceptable, the cylinder gap wasn't an issue, the frame is not cracked, and if you put it in full lockup the cylinder doesn't wiggle and you can see light coming through the muzzle and into the chamber. Trigger pull isn't great and it's .38 Special, not +P rated.

But I would take that gun in a heartbeat over the pot metal specials at the same price range. Its flaws are purely cosmetic.

I've seen you can buy a High Point .38 for $70 brand new. That's hard to beat if you don't even have $100.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Some far no one has named a revolver called The Clerk, or Clerke, I forget the correct spelling. It came in 22LR.

A friend of mine had one in 1976. It had no cylinder stop bolt, the hand just advanced the cylinder to 'sort of' near the barrel, and it was ready to fire.

It was made of zinc, and ultimately the owner melted this 16 dollar wonder down on a hot-plate.

What a way to wreck a perfectly good hot-plate.

Even good firearms makers can make some honorable mention nominees in this category. Remember the Colt 2000 and Browning BDM?
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

All derringers, and the 'Cop'.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I nominate the stackbarrel DAVIS Derringer in .22WMR that I bought and when I went to fire it, the safey mechanism literally FELL OUT of the firearm. I sold it instantly, without squeezing round #1 through it. I'd favor a Bond Arms if I were going back to that BUG concept. Prolly in a .45LC/.410 configuration.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links