Defensive Carry banner

Odd cartridge in box

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Texas Red 
#1 ·
So today after cleaning my gun after a range trip I was reloading and noticed something strange in my box of HST. I'm hoping someone can help me out to identify the rogue round. The round in question is the brass on one the left.
Fashion accessory Jewellery Cufflink

See less See more
#4 ·
I bought these online so unlikely they got switched by accident. The head of both look identical. I am wondering what the NT stands for or the significance on the rogue cartridge. That and the case are the only noticeable differences.

#5 ·
Found this at federalpremium.com. Maybe you can ask them?

For ammunition questions please call (800) 379-1732 and ask to speak with Federal Premium Product Services team member. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday.

#14 ·
After I posted this I looked at Federal's website an sent them an email. I am waiting to see what they say. But what everyone says about it being a non-toxic primer makes sense. Thanks for everyones response. I will let everyone know what Federal says once I get an answer.

#8 ·
I found this:

Non-Toxic (NT) primers were designed for indoor shooting ranges to minimize lead vapor. Regular primers use a lead base mixture whereas the NT primers do not contain lead.

The flash holes are larger in cases marked "NT" and should not be reloaded with regular primers. The standard flash hole size is set at 5/64" for all US made ammo whereas NT cases have a 3/32" flash hole. Although the size doesn't appear to be much different, the NT flash hole is 30% larger in area. Flash holes are used to regulate how much pressure is applied to a primer when the round is fired. A standard primer is rated for about 40,000 psi chamber pressure so with NT sized flash holes, the max pressure would be lowered to 28,000 psi. No big deal if you are shooting 45 ACPs but it is a big deal with higher pressure rounds such as a 9mm, 38 Super, or 40 S&W where normal operating pressures are 35,000 psi. Unless there have been recent changes, the 45 ACP NT cases use small pistol primers but the regular cases use large pistol primers.

#11 ·
...Non-Toxic (NT) primers were designed for indoor shooting ranges to minimize lead vapor. Regular primers use a lead base mixture whereas the NT primers do not contain lead...

...The standard flash hole size is set at 5/64" for all US made ammo whereas NT cases have a 3/32" flash hole. Although the size doesn't appear to be much different, the NT flash hole is 30% larger in area...
If those dimensions are accurate, it's actually 44% larger!

...Unless there have been recent changes, the 45 ACP NT cases use small pistol primers but the regular cases use large pistol primers.
Is this a pretty solid rule of thumb? I've seen the occasional .45 ACP case with a small primer, but didn't know that this distinguishes the NT primers from the regular ones. Good to know!

#9 ·
I don't know what the current state of affairs is, but the early lead-free primers had relatively short shelf lives. If you have much of it on hand, you might want to check with the manufacturer to see what the storage life is.

There are several lead-free primer compositions, but some of them are unstable over time. Others perform differently depending on temperature.

The "perfect" priming compound is ye olde potassium chlorate, the "corrosive" compound nowadays mostly seen only in Combloc military surplus ammunition. Chlorate primers laugh at desert or Arctic temperatures and have a shelf life of forever, as far as anyone can tell. Lead styphnate, the usual "non-corrosive" compound, doesn't like extremes of heat and cold much, though going on a century of chemical twiddling has improved that a lot. The new "non-toxic" non-corrosive primers... "caveat emptor."

#13 ·
It could very easily happen at the factory.

A round falls on the floor (or somewhere), and a worker puts it back in the wrong place, or a primed NT case remains in a hopper when the switch is made from NT to regular production. This kind of stuff happens all the time in manufacturing environments.

Reactions: msgt/ret
#15 ·
Well, you've convinced me!

I'm going to pitch any of those cases, along with the steel & aluminum ones I may happen across. I've got plenty of "regular" .45 brass to use without having to deal with crimped, oddball-sized primers!

Thanks for the info. :yup:

Reactions: CLASS3NH
#17 ·
So today after cleaning my gun after a range trip I was reloading and noticed something strange in my box of HST. I'm hoping someone can help me out to identify the rogue round. The round in question is the brass on one the left.
View attachment 110269
I know they offer HST's in .40 with brass cases for the government, maybe a mixup in packaging?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.