Smith and Wesson M&P +p+?

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson M&P +p+? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to try some underwood 124gr +p+ rounds out in my new 9mm compact. Technically, the manual says +p only. BUT the 9mm is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Smith and Wesson M&P +p+?

Smith and Wesson M&P +p+?

I want to try some underwood 124gr +p+ rounds out in my new 9mm compact. Technically, the manual says +p only. BUT the 9mm is the same frame and internals as the 40 cal so shouldn't it be able to handle the extra oomph?

Also, if you really compare them, the Glocks frame rail system seems weaker than the M&P yet they can handle it.

Anyone with an M&P shoot this stuff and not have a grenade in their hand?

Thanks!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I want to try some underwood 124gr +p+ rounds out in my new 9mm compact. Technically, the manual says +p only. BUT the 9mm is the same frame and internals as the 40 cal so shouldn't it be able to handle the extra oomph?

Also, if you really compare them, the Glocks frame rail system seems weaker than the M&P yet they can handle it.

Anyone with an M&P shoot this stuff and not have a grenade in their hand?

Thanks!
    I would not shoot +p+ in anything. Unlike +P, there is no industry standard for +P+. You have no idea what you are really shooting. It likely is no better than +P for defense.

+P+ is mostly marketing hype. What's next, ++P++?

Save your money and stay safe at the same time.
    NRA Life Member - Over penetration may get you sued, under penetration may get you killed.

Firearms are tools. I'm not a caliber guy, nor am I a fan boy.

Hand guns are better for self defense, long guns are better for home defense.

I personally would not try them. If I feel the need for more power, I go to a larger caliber. Why subject a gun to increased wear and tear or possible catastrophe?
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward? You are putting your firearm and more importantly yourself at risk. If you damage your gun, your warranty won't repair it, personally, I suggest leaving anything +P and especially +P+ ammo alone.
    michael t likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    I suggest leaving anything +P and especially +P+ ammo alone.
    Why? My 642 is specifically rated for +P. So are many guns. There's no reason not to shoot +P ammo in a gun that meets specs for it. It makes a 200 fps difference in my snubby.

Now, on +P+ we are on complete agreement.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    They are advertizing 1300 fps with that load and a Muzzle Energy of 465 ft. lbs.

As Katana said, +p+ is undefined and either an unknown value or marketing hype. However, that velocity is what I would expect from .38 Super.

What +P+ ? Cause there is +P+ that was only made for Sub-guns like the MP5 etc and will blow up most any handgun you shoot in it save maybe the HKP7 .. I know I own some .. It is +P++++ and will blow up anything save a sub gun

As noted there is not stander loading or +P+ .. If someone like Federal etc LEO rounds you should be ok .. But if anything not like that no dont it could be sub gun loaded
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by rdunawaytx View Post
    Why? My 642 is specifically rated for +P. So are many guns. There's no reason not to shoot +P ammo in a gun that meets specs for it. It makes a 200 fps difference in my snubby.

Now, on +P+ we are on complete agreement.
    I was only expressing my personal feelings about +P and +P+ ammo. I personally don't use it anymore because it increases wear and tear on firearms. I used to own a S&W 637-2 that was rated for +P ammo but I agree with others that said if you want something with more power, buy a larger caliber.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I was only expressing my personal feelings about +P and +P+ ammo. I personally don't use it anymore because it increases wear and tear on firearms. I used to own a S&W 637-2 that was rated for +P ammo but I agree with others that said if you want something with more power, buy a larger caliber.
    Larger calibers don't fit into a bluejeans pocket when I can't carry my .45.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

Larger calibers don't fit into a bluejeans pocket when I can't carry my .45.
    The Boberg XR is designed to hold up to a steady diet of +P ammo with no issues. Unfortunately, they cost around 1K.

Distinguished Member
    The Boberg XR is designed to hold up to a steady diet of +P ammo with no issues. Unfortunately, they cost around 1K.
    I LIKE that XR-45. I'll have to do some further research.

I LIKE that XR-45. I'll have to do some further research.

Way beyoun fincky and a pain in the bum to clean .. Bullpup pistol .. You find the one brand of ammo that works in it they are great but otherwise ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    Shorter than a 642, 0.2 inches taller and thicker except at the cylinder. Hrm.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Way beyoun fincky and a pain in the bum to clean .. Bullpup pistol .. You find the one brand of ammo that works in it they are great but otherwise ..
    Ah. I hadn't gotten beyond dimensions. Finicky, eh? I don't like finicky.

VIP Member
    Get a .45.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

Shorter than a 642, 0.2 inches taller and thicker except at the cylinder. Hrm.

Ah. I hadn't gotten beyond dimensions. Finicky, eh? I don't like finicky.
    Gun Review: Boberg XR9-S Update - The Truth About Guns
    Crap gun ... Like the see camps only some ammo may work .. The rest is torn apart .. Course maybe the 45 works better ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links