WWB 180gr 40sw jhp test from today

This is a discussion on WWB 180gr 40sw jhp test from today within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to do a test on the 40sw Winchester White Box 180gr jhp rounds that Walmart sells. These were priced right at $20 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: WWB 180gr 40sw jhp test from today

I wanted to do a test on the 40sw Winchester White Box 180gr jhp rounds that Walmart sells. These were priced right at $20 for a 50rd box. Label: USA40J

These are not the bonded rounds and jacket separation was evident.

Shot 3 rounds and all expanded fully.

Distinguished Member Array bigpapa's Avatar
    Wow, those are wicked for sure I don't remember WM having those but that's not a bad price.

Nice to see. I picked up a couple boxes of those and was hopeing someone would run a test.
    Thanks

Senior Moderator
    Nice! Paraphrasding Mas Ayoob, if the mutant zombie plastic jugs ever attack you, you're all set!

Not raining on your parade - just recognize that your simple field test is light years away from the tests the ammo makers themselves run on their own products. What you've shown is entertaining, but what the mathemeticians would call "necessary but insufficient."

I would seek out controlled tests on this ammo and satisfy yourself about its overall performance, before committing to it as a carry round. And of course, remember you get what you pay for.
    StormRhydr and flintlock62 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Nice! Paraphrasding Mas Ayoob, if the mutant zombie plastic jugs ever attack you, you're all set!

Not raining on your parade - just recognize that your simple field test is light years away from the tests the ammo makers themselves run on their own products. What you've shown is entertaining, but what the mathemeticians would call "necessary but insufficient."

I would seek out controlled tests on this ammo and satisfy yourself about its overall performance, before committing to it as a carry round. And of course, remember you get what you pay for.
    Don't be that guy
    Bad Bob, AZJD1968 and piguy like this.

Distinguished Member Array michael t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    Don't be that guy

Plus 1 on that!!!!!!!
    piguy likes this.
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994, Colt Officer ACP 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

VIP Member
    Not a scientific test but I'd probably be pretty confident in it. Even with jacket separation we're still talkin' 180 grains.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
    Plus 1 on that!!!!!!!
    I have done my own tests on this round with my CW40 summer carry gun. It shoots very well and expands in a predictable fashion. Paying crazy prices for "FBI approved" ammo gives me the hives.

Sometimes we worry way too much about the latest and greatest ammo and not nearly enough about getting hits where we need them. Two of the best self-defense rounds out there(9mm federal 115 +P+ and the mighty .357 mag 125 JHP) do not show up very well in FBI testing. Some how they work in the real world over a long time period on actual people.

When I fire those "magic" bullets at about 2.00 a pop, I feel a little dizzy. Wild Bill won a lot of gunfights using a smallish round ball that was not going all that fast. Perhaps people are tougher these days?
    Pistology, jem102 and Bad Bob like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbabbler View Post
    Don't be that guy
    Yeah. But, unfortunately, he's right. Those are some very pretty exploding water jugs, though. Also, I was in high school when the album from your avatar came out. Awesome album.

I think Federal has stopped making the .40 HST in 165 grains, so I'll be moving up to the 180 grain when we run out.

Quote Originally Posted by piguy View Post
    When I fire those "magic" bullets at about 2.00 a pop, I feel a little dizzy. Wild Bill won a lot of gunfights using a smallish round ball that was not going all that fast. Perhaps people are tougher these days?
    You're paying 2.00 a round for ammo? You're either shopping at Cheaper than Dirt for .22 LR rounds or you're buying gimmick ammo. Even top of the line .357 JHP rounds are 1.00. HST is much cheaper than that. What on earth are you buying?
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

Hopefully Winchester improved their .40 white box HP's. Six - seven years ago my crime scene techs mentioned a streak of failure to expands at close range. This concerned me since we carried .40 Glocks but with Speeir GD. If we could get some more testing of different lots I'd feel better for people using them as a primary defense load.

If the firearm is deployed, I don't get overly concerned with this test or that test unless of course someone is seeking the
    holy grail of ammo; which I have yet to see produced.

..besides, there will be more than one "POP" if it ever gets to that point.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I have to say that I can't ever remember being disappointed in WWB ammo.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

While the test doesn't necessarily show how the same round would perform in real world defensive scenarios, it does show that the round is more than capable of expanding. The medium here is water and cornstarch. It's a mixture with interesting properties and is great at showing me rounds that will not expand as shown in the picture below.

All bullets will fail at one time or another; given the right circumstances. The trick is to choose the right one for the majority of circumstances you may encounter. For the 10mm and up in power, the tests (gel and similar) I've seen give the older cup and core bullets the advantage. They don't blow up as readily as the thinner jacketed ones do. Until someone makes the truly "magical" bullet we just have to go with what we have and hope for the best when needed. Perhaps we have become to use to the magical bullet hype put out by the add writers.

Distinguished Member Array subhuman's Avatar
    you know I forget about these, they shot preety good out of my G23 and Shield 40 both, may buy a box for the SR40 and see how it likes them
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links