.45 ACP HST @ Streichers - Page 2

.45 ACP HST @ Streichers

This is a discussion on .45 ACP HST @ Streichers within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are never "out dated", or under-shod when you choose standard loaded .45 acp ammo for CQB with humans. Never underestimate the fact that 230gr ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: .45 ACP HST @ Streichers

You are never "out dated", or under-shod when you choose standard loaded .45 acp ammo for CQB with humans. Never underestimate the fact that 230gr FMJ enjoys a hundred years of combat proven stops and still remains, statistically, the most effective stopper ever. Sure, JHP is better. Plus Power has yet to prove it's more effective than standard loads, in .45acp.

HST is, based on all the text, the next generation stopper of choice. It's Federal, so we know it's accurate. It petals like no other. It beats Hyra-shok and (even my beloved) Gold Dot. Does it need a higher power factor to accomplish this? Nupe.

IMHO, the tradeoffs don't factor. Respringing my guns, beating up my frames, making my wrist and elbow sore, slowing my follow-up shots... Just to shoot a slightly faster bullet that already makes a VERY effective hole? NOT worth it.

"+P" designation in substandard stopping rounds, might make sense. But, IMO, it's a little like the guy with the 650cc Superbike, opting for nitrous, in order to hang with the one thousands.

To my mind, .45acp is the best man-stopper of all time (where pistols are concerned). Based on this, it doesn't need a lot more help.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1man View Post
    Yes both versions are 230gr. with different stock #'s to reflect +P and non+P. The +P has some extra a%* behind it. It gave my USP45 Tactical and my Para P-13 Limited a good workout(each 200rd reliabilty test). I had to beef up the recoil springs in both, but they both passed. Now I have to run 2 more test for my USP45CT and my newly acquired Wilson CQB.
    You said that you had to beef up your spring in your USP Tac? Why, USPs are rated for +P rounds?

+P 45 can actually be a detriment

The standard pressure HST2 .45 is the better choice for SD. The only time the +P could be considered is in short barrelled (3") pistols. The SP HST2 will expand well down to 725 FPS. The +P drawback is mostly time follow up with the next shot. It's hard enough to hit you target in an SD situation, and as well you want to get back on target quickly. I have ran some SD range courses with friends and we all agree the standard pressure allows you to get more rounds off quicker and more accurately over the +P. If ever you have to stop an attacker, the quicker you can put multiple rounds into them, the sooner the attack will end. Sometimes seconds, even fractions of a second can mean the difference between an attacker being stopped or stopping you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    You are never "out dated", or under-shod when you choose standard loaded .45 acp ammo for CQB with humans. Never underestimate the fact that 230gr FMJ enjoys a hundred years of combat proven stops and still remains, statistically, the most effective stopper ever. Sure, JHP is better. Plus Power has yet to prove it's more effective than standard loads, in .45acp.

HST is, based on all the text, the next generation stopper of choice. It's Federal, so we know it's accurate. It petals like no other. It beats Hyra-shok and (even my beloved) Gold Dot. Does it need a higher power factor to accomplish this? Nupe.

IMHO, the tradeoffs don't factor. Respringing my guns, beating up my frames, making my wrist and elbow sore, slowing my follow-up shots... Just to shoot a slightly faster bullet that already makes a VERY effective hole? NOT worth it.

"+P" designation in substandard stopping rounds, might make sense. But, IMO, it's a little like the guy with the 650cc Superbike, opting for nitrous, in order to hang with the one thousands.

To my mind, .45acp is the best man-stopper of all time (where pistols are concerned). Based on this, it doesn't need a lot more help.

Bad Bob likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links