Help with choosing the right ammo - Page 2

Help with choosing the right ammo

This is a discussion on Help with choosing the right ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For range work I prefer WWB, Sellier & Bellot (sp?), CCI Blazer, and if I have to, UMC - basically it comes down to affordable ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with choosing the right ammo

For range work I prefer WWB, Sellier & Bellot (sp?), CCI Blazer, and if I have to, UMC - basically it comes down to affordable fmj. In 9mm I like to stick with something in the 124gr. weight range.

For defensive loads, provided they function in a particular gun, I'd feel equally well armed with Fed. Hydrashoks, Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dot and one or two others. I do prefer +P in defensive 9mm loads but never felt the urge to go with +P+. As others have said, buy a few boxes of what you're interested in and hit the range. Choose whichever functions best in your gun and you're most comfortable with - never hurts to have a second or third choice of loads in case you have trouble finding your favorite.
    Jack

WWB is 115 gr FMJ - what works and shots to that POI?????
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) for training only. Use it in a self defense situation and you'll likely get roasted for it.

For self defense I carry two 9mm rounds that have served me real well over the years on the job.
    In +P I use Car-Bon 115gr +p ammo
    In standard pressure (and what I have loaded in all my 9mm right now) I use Federal (Personal Defense) 115gr JHP (C9BP). This round has worked real well for me on the streets and even though its not +P it is what I carry and recommend. Plus the name dosent hurt after the shooting.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) for training only. Use it in a self defense situation and you'll likely get roasted for it.
    Steve - can you elaborate a tad? Are you meaning roasted just for choosing and using - or because of risks from over penetration issues?

I have my wife's .380 stoked with FMJ's for her, because IMO HP's may not be over effective and, there is the feeding reliability bonus too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have my wife's .380 stoked with FMJ's for her, because IMO HP's may not be over effective and, there is the feeding reliability bonus too.
    My Sig P232, also a .380, is now loaded with Cor-Bon Pow'R Balls.
    I finally found some so I got 5 boxes to try them out, zero feeding issues and if they are everything that they claim then they don't plug up when entering through cloth etc.
    Might be worth a look if you haven't already.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    There has been alot of information written about the over penatration of ball ammo. One of the highlights we received recently is that alot of prosecutors and ambulance chasers are now switching from your bad if you use hallow points to your bad if you use ball ammo as you will have to shoot more to stop the person. Law enforcement used the logic in court that we used JHPs for years because we wouldnt have to shoot a person as often to stop them over ball ammo that now its being used in courts.

The PowerBall ammo from Cor-Bon was specifically designed for pistols like your wife's that just dont like JHPs. I would use it before I went to Ball ammo. But if you must use ball, record it in your journal that you tested the weapon with brand a and brand b and that the only reliable ammo was brand x that you carried in it.

Alot of folks dont journal their pistol shooting, and believe it or not it really is important. It is a legal document that can be entered into court and discusses the training, and personal qualifications you put yourself through.

Back to my cage,
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Steve for the clarification - and agreed too re shooting journal - that makes total sense.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Alot of folks dont journal their pistol shooting, and believe it or not it really is important. It is a legal document that can be entered into court and discusses the training, and personal qualifications you put yourself through.
    Agreed 100%.
    I learned that in my carry class from the Sheriff that taught us, and it might just be the most important thing I took home that day.
    I am religious about logging my range visits/ammo use as a possible defense in any resultant SD/HD court case.
    I think it was one of my first thread topics here on CC, several people agreed and several vowed to adopt the practice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links