Help with choosing the right ammo

This is a discussion on Help with choosing the right ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This might be an older question answered before but I want to ask this for a specific gun. I just bought earlier a Springfield XD-9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This might be an older question answered before but I want to ask this for a specific gun.
    I just bought earlier a Springfield XD-9 Subcompact in 9mm, 3" barrel.
    I wanted to know what kind of ammo would be my best choice for this lil polymer pistol. I really like the reviews I've heard about Extreme Shock rounds but they're pretty expensive for a guy on a budget. So what do you guys suggest to try on both
    1 training rounds (which I plan to do alot) and of course
    2 self defense rounds for when/if it's ever needed

I'm pretty new to handguns the only other one I've EVER fired is an old Taurus model 85 revolver 4' barrel. Thanks for any help.
    P.S. are frangibles and weight a big concern??
    Last edited by Hoozyerdaddy; March 1st, 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added 1 more question

Assistant Administrator
    Personally (aged traditionalist that I am) - put frangibles out of your mind, totally!

I still stick to 124 Gold Dots in my EDC 226 and find them agreeable for price and perceived performance. I am too darned mean to want to spend mortgage sums on so called ''special'' stuff - reckoning that what I carry would if need be (hopefully never) - get the job done.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

For practice ammo just get some of the less expensive FMJ rounds, like Winchester White Box or Blazer.

For carry find a hollowpoint that is 100% reliable out of your pistol and made by one of the major brands. Hydrashocks, Gold Dots, Rangers all work. Stay away from Extreme Shock, overpriced (over $1.50 a round), and not very effective.

EDIT: here is the Box O' Truth on Extrme Shock ammo
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm
    Last edited by buckeye .45; March 1st, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

147 grain Remington golden sabre or 124gr Hornady tap ammo i have a Berreta 92f and an XD9 the tap seem to shoot a little better then the golden sabre's but you cant really go wrong with either as for practice ammo magtech wwb there cheap and they will feed in anything.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I have used, carried and tested the Extreme Shock AFR and like it A LOT! Ive shot and seen it shot into water containers and gelatin and leaves a very devastating wound channel. In fact, the largest I've seen from 9mm. The expansion/frange of the rounds is very consistent. They shoot very accurately and feel no where near as hot as +P ammo. It is extremely safe, having been developed for the Air Marshall Service and hence wont shoot through the walls of your house and hit a loved one.

While I refuse to shoot Walmart value packs in .45, I've shot a lot of it in 9mm. However, with the way it's gone up, $15/100 box now, I would order Magtech in bulk. Magtech is cleaner, more consistent and more accurate. The best source for this is to call John, at Pro Load Distributors, at 208-772-2339. He's just started selling to consumers and you cannot beat his prices. $175/1000. 9mm 115gr fmj. John is also a Engineer and Certified Ordnance Inspector and can tell you more about ammo than most manufacturers! Very nice fellow, too.

I'd use Win Ranger-T 127gr+P+ for SD/carry!
    Last edited by 1man; March 3rd, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

kpw
    For training ammo, I get whatever is reasonable...yeah, cheap. If it's a good deal, I'll empty my wallet for it. Don't care much for Blazer but I haven't had problems with it. I usually get WWB or S&B. As for carry ammo, I like Gold Dots. They don't break the bank and I can afford to shoot a limited amount of them. Yes you do need to shoot your carry ammo too, at least once in a while. Personally, I don't have much interest in wonder bullets in the buck a shot and over range. I carry a 9mm and it's always going to be a 9mm no matter how expensive the ammo. I'd rather spend the extra money on training ammo and shoot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Stay away from Extreme Shock, overpriced (over $1.50 a round), and not very effective.

EDIT: here is the Box O' Truth on Extrme Shock ammo
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm
    While I agree that ES is expensive, I'm not sure I would say "over priced", since Im not sure of the manufacturing costs. I also agree that the cost is likely prohibitive for most people to establish it's reliability throught their personal CCWs, and to shoot regularly enough to maintain familiarity and proficiency. I thought the question was more about whether it worked.

As for being, "not very effective", a round that franges at 4" of penetration, then leaves a baseball sized wound channel, is at least for me, pretty effective.

I can only speak to the AFR, as I have no experience with the FF. I found the FF's performance disturbing in that dry wall test.

From what I personally saw in gelatin, the AFR penetrated 5-7" before total energy dump, and left a permanent cavity of 3-5". Much larger than JHPs.

While I carry good'ole GD in my 1911s, I have carried ES in my 9mm Glock. I would not carry 9mm in colder weather, so Im looking for a round to perform under less strenuous clothing situations. I want something that will get in and get the job done fast. For me, the AFR has done a fine job.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    As for being, "not very effective", a round that franges at 4" of penetration, then leaves a baseball sized wound channel, is at least for me, pretty effective.
    Here's a picture of someone's gelatin test of an Extreme Shock AFR.

That would be a nasty wound, but 4-5 inches if penetration is not enough, no matter how big the wound channel is. The FBI standard for handgun ammo is 12 inches. A big, 4 inch deep wound may kill someone eventually, but it's not going to stop them immediately.

The only way to stop someone fast enough to keep them from killing you is either to hit the central nervous system, or cause enough blood loss to render them unconscious. Four inches if penetration isn't enough to do either. The CNS is buried quite deeply in the body, and is protected by a lot of tissue and bone. Major blood vessels are located closer to the exterior of the body in places that aren't protected by bone, but those tend to be in the extremities, not in the torso. If you're shooting center of mass, more penetration is necessary to get rapid blood loss.

I don't have any problem with expensive ammo. My carry load is Cor-Bon DPX, which is priced at about $1.25 a round, and I wouldn't mind paying even more than that for something that's going to be effective. Extreme Shock isn't.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; March 4th, 2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Added pic.

Senior Moderator
    While I don't have a XD I use Gold Dots in my Taurus 92. Both Gold Dots and Hyro Shocks work well the Gold Dots (124 gr) seem to group better for me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

kpw
    I'd have to say that the DPX looks like a great round and one I would consider. For me, it's not worth the price. It may be a bit more effective but the cost is too prohibitive to shoot a reasonable amount of yearly. I shoot as much of my carry ammo as I can afford to. I don't like the idea of shooting thousands of rounds a year with training ammo and putting maybe a box or two of carry ammo through it and calling it good to go. I took a 2 day course with 600 rnds of .40 Gold Dots. I couldn't afford to do that with $1.25 a rnd ammo. Nothing that the engineers have come up with yet has turned any handgun into an instant stopper. As Blackeagle says, a CNS hit or quick and massive blood loss is the trick. The bullet doesn't matter as much as where, how fast and how many you put on target. I'm also carring a 9mm in the winter and it worries me not for the same reasons.

Senior Moderator
    I know that you are on a "budget" and that some ammo is more expensive than others.

But really...how much is your life worth ?

Ammo is cheap compared to everything else. Get the best performing ammo that money can buy. In truth, we've never had it any better than now, as ammo is better than it ever has been.

Dont let the cost scare you away. Most major manufacturers have good ammo designed just for self defense and any of it ought to serve you well. The biggest step is figuring out which one you and the gun like.
    Above all, make sure that is relaible in your Springfield and that you know that for a fact before you carry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

124gr Hornady tap is the best load i have shot out of my Berreta 92 and my H&K P7M13 which i carry alot in the summer, all i can say is its proven and it works.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

VIP Member
    Forget the extreme shock idea, buy a box of everything you LGS has and see what works best, then get pow'r'balls.

This has important information when it comes to you choosing a particular bullet. Pay special attention to parts involving penetration.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links