Defensive Carry banner

monarch 45 caliber ammo

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  coronel 
#1 ·
Hi good morning everyone I would like to know if anyone here has experience with monarch 45 ammo would like your comments please thank you

#2 ·
Haven't seen any monarch .45 cal, but the 9mm has been a good range round so far. How much is it per box?

#3 ·
Coronel - I shot two boxes of Monarch .45 auto through my Sig STX this morning. The pistol is a week old and had only had 300 rounds of Winchester White Box shot through it prior to this morning's shoot. As well, the first 300 rounds fired through the pistol were without any malfunction.

Today, however with the Monarch ammo (which is really really dirty ammo btw) the slide wasn't returning fully to battery when inserting a new mag. It begain sporadically as soon as I started using the Monarch ammo. It appears that the rounds were getting caught on the feed ramp. After I fired the two boxes of Monarch through my pistol I switched back to the WWB and the problem disappeared. Another really odd thing that occurred with the Monarch ammo was that several times after I pulled the trigger the slide seemed to get stuck while cycling. Like it was getting caught on something (case expanding too much? - powder residue gumming up the slide?) midway through the cycling of the slide. I now have 450 rounds through (350 of WWB no malfunction/100 of Monarch with multiple malfunctions) this pistol with some questions marks about reliability due to the Monarch ammo. With all that said I'm going to say that at least my pistol does not like the Monarch ammo. Maybe I'm putting too much of the blame on the ammo. I will switch back to the WWB and see if I can get the malfunction to occur again.

If anyone can think of anything that I am overlooking please let me know.

#4 ·
I've used it for a while in several of my guns (as well as their 9mm) and have never had a problem. All told, I've probably shot 500+ rounds of Monarch - about evenly split between 45 & 9mm - without an ammo related issue. In fact, I picked up four boxes this past weekend (two each of 45 & 9mm) at my local Academy store and plan to take a trip to the range later this week. The only ammo I've seen that works as well in the same price range of $5-$6 per box is CCI Blazer, and the CCI has started to creep up in price the past few months.

FWIW, I also have about a dozen boxes of their .223 and it's as good as anything else I've tried. :hand10:

#5 ·
Today I went to the range and tried my new p90 stainless in 45 caliber of course with cci alum and monarch green box. My discovery was no malfunction at all whatsoever. Only difference I noticed was that the monarch was not grouping as well as the cci alum. The cci alum also was a lot hotter than the monarch. Any way,with both this two brands i did not have one malfunction and that was 300 rounds of each. Thank you all for your input. Coronel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.