Stopping Power: Myth, Legends and Reality

This is a discussion on Stopping Power: Myth, Legends and Reality within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been going through some old articles I keep as a reference source because I just bought a .357 Sig Barrel for my Sig ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Stopping Power: Myth, Legends and Reality

VIP Member

I have been going through some old articles I keep as a reference source because I just bought a .357 Sig Barrel for my Sig P229. It is one of the very few defensive calibers that I have never shot. The others being the 10mm and 41 cal.. I think this article sums it up well without going through pages and pages of technical jargon. I have personally seen what the author says as a civilian in the first case and in combat in the second; a .22 incapacitate a person and a .45 not do so. I am a big believer of bullet placement and of course, enough penetration to get there. I also believe that in the majority of cases, Psychological factors contribute to stopping the person shot, more than the actual injury. When you read that 80% of those shot with handguns live. How a bullet behaves in ballistic gel is a good way to compare bullets to each other but we are not made of all soft tissue and have brains unlike gel. :)

Stopping Power: Myths, Legends, and Realities - Article - POLICE Magazine

Here is something interesting. Notice that there is not a heck of a lot of difference among the popular defensive calibers until you get to a 10mm. That sucker just explodes inside soft tissue and yet it is not a 100% sure stopper.

GelChart10mm.jpg
    I prepare for the possible that is most likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible.

Thats a good article-thanks for posting
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There's this, too: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Active Response Training

Basically, anything 380 or bigger gets about the same results. Although the 357 magnum does a little better.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

Over a 17 year career I have seen people shot with everything you could imagine, and some with things you couldn't. There is only one final truth. Nothing you can easily carry around is a sure fire stopper.

There are a few corollaries though: Shot placement (accuracy) makes all the difference in the world. Little guns shot well trump big guns shot poorly.

Calibers mean little. I've seen people stopped by one well placed .22 round, and people walk away with 8 poorly placed rounds from a .45 ACP in them.

Bullet selection matters. Poor bullets make it more likely that you should throw the gun at your attacker and run. Quality defensive bullets usually result in the attacker running - but not very far.

Practice matters. No matter what you carry, a well trained shooter has a better chance of survival than a poorly trained one.

Practice in the mind trumps practice on the range. You need both, but mental toughness is the secret to surviving a gunfight. That "I just won't quit, no matter what" makes it very hard for you to be beaten. Stopping power begins in the mind.
    hick63, AzQkr, Bad Bob and 16 others like this.

It's all about shot placement,period!

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    It's all about shot placement,period!
    Not at the expense of taking incoming while looking for that perfect shot placement.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I believe that the best compromise to stopping power is semi-metallic brake pads, they are a little better than ceramics and more cost effective.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Hobbit lives matter.

"The way of the warrior does not include other ways.....But if you know the way broadly you will see it in everything" - Miyamoto Musashi -

I think of it this way, if I shoot you with my handguns, you MIGHT stop. If I shoot you with my rifle, you WILL stop. Granted, I can't carry my rifle away from home, but if you break in my house, I can rain down a lot of hurt.........
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I think of it this way, if I shoot you with my handguns, you MIGHT stop. If I shoot you with my rifle, you WILL stop. Granted, I can't carry my rifle away from home, but if you break in my house, I can rain down a lot of hurt.........
    If you snap me real hard with a rubber band I'll stop.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    If you snap me real hard with a rubber band I'll stop.
    My wife does better than that...she wags her finger. :(

Quote Originally Posted by petecamp View Post
    My wife does better than that...she wags her finger. :(
    Mine too,but with the Stink Eye : )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by petecamp View Post
    Over a 17 year career I have seen people shot with everything you could imagine, and some with things you couldn't. There is only one final truth. Nothing you can easily carry around is a sure fire stopper.

There are a few corollaries though: Shot placement (accuracy) makes all the difference in the world. Little guns shot well trump big guns shot poorly.

Calibers mean little. I've seen people stopped by one well placed .22 round, and people walk away with 8 poorly placed rounds from a .45 ACP in them.

Bullet selection matters. Poor bullets make it more likely that you should throw the gun at your attacker and run. Quality defensive bullets usually result in the attacker running - but not very far.

Practice matters. No matter what you carry, a well trained shooter has a better chance of survival than a poorly trained one.

Practice in the mind trumps practice on the range. You need both, but mental toughness is the secret to surviving a gunfight. That "I just won't quit, no matter what" makes it very hard for you to be beaten. Stopping power begins in the mind.
    I feel like I'm talking directly to "The Duke."
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Plan Z: Hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by addywon View Post
    I feel like I'm talking directly to "The Duke."
    Thank you. I sure wish you were. I miss him. I feel Lt. Higgins is the closest we'll ever get to the Duke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7s6AM47IDxk

Sorry...this is a bit off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I have been going through some old articles I keep as a reference source because I just bought a .357 Sig Barrel for my Sig P229. It is one of the very few defensive calibers that I have never shot. The others being the 10mm and 41 cal.. I think this article sums it up well without going through pages and pages of technical jargon. I have personally seen what the author says as a civilian in the first case and in combat in the second; a .22 incapacitate a person and a .45 not do so. I am a big believer of bullet placement and of course, enough penetration to get there. I also believe that in the majority of cases, Psychological factors contribute to stopping the person shot, more than the actual injury. When you read that 80% of those shot with handguns live. How a bullet behaves in ballistic gel is a good way to compare bullets to each other but we are not made of all soft tissue and have brains unlike gel. :)

Stopping Power: Myths, Legends, and Realities - Article - POLICE Magazine

Here is something interesting. Notice that there is not a heck of a lot of difference among the popular defensive calibers until you get to a 10mm. That sucker just explodes inside soft tissue and yet it is not a 100% sure stopper.

GelChart10mm.jpg
    You do realize the 10mm is a joke...a photoshopped nuclear mushroom cloud, right?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

One of the reasons why I have a .308 Win in my arsenal is because if I know I've got to do the deed, a well placed shot should be effective.

If not, I've got nineteen more where that came from.
    gatorbait51 and smolck like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    <- Because the Screaming Ape said so.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links