The Multiple Impact Bullet is trash and here's why

This is a discussion on The Multiple Impact Bullet is trash and here's why within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Multiple Impact Bullet asked me to review their ammunition in 45ACP. I have yet to see a ballistic gelatin or clear gelatin test on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Multiple Impact Bullet is trash and here's why

Multiple Impact Bullet asked me to review their ammunition in 45ACP. I have yet to see a ballistic gelatin or clear gelatin test on the ammo, so I said why not?

I realise not a single person, including myself, took this ammo seriously. I wanted to test the MIBullet simply because I love crazy designs. Secretly I was hoping we would get some sort of outstanding performance. Overall it would be wise to steer clear of this ammo, and anyone who endorses it.

https://youtu.be/Dl-xgrcIZw4

Results:

This ammo is terrible in every aspect of the word. We fired several rounds off camera and had serious problems hitting steel at close range. I fired some FMJs to make sure the accuracy wasnt my fault. We ended up shooting the clear gel from 7 feet in order to get a decent test.

Even when the MIBullet hit the gel, its performance was abysmal. The first round worked as designed, but left an incredibly small permanent cavity. The center slug penetrated 12in. The second shot brought similar performance, but the center slug penetrated to the 14in mark. Performance isn't this ammo's only downfall.

The MIBullet is one of the most over engineered ammo designs on the market. This ammo is manufactured to work like a controlled bolo round. as the bullet spins, the outside pieces of lead expand in a star fashion. This pattern somehow locks into place (because of physics?) for a short period. It is then supposed to collaspe back in on itself. After testing this ammo we have concluded that this design rarely works. Often times the expanding pieces of lead would bunch together after twenty feet. This brings us to the ammo's biggest issue.

For some reason the ammo is only sold in packs of 50, even though each box contains only TEN rounds! These cartridges are sold for a whopping $3.76 A ROUND!

Obviously avoid this ammo at all costs. I appreciate the folks at MIBullet for sending me the ammo, but I will always give my honest opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 5th, 2015 at 06:31 PM.

thanks for the heads up. Avoid gimmick ammo designs.
    usmc9688 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'll take ten boxes!
    gen3 and usmc9688 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'll take ten boxes!
    Haha ge ready to spend 400 bucks!

That reminds me of the Quik Shot .22LR that came out a while ago. It was segmented into 3 pieces. I tried it on NC ground hogs at fairly close range with miserable results! (Stingers and Velociters worked MUCH better!) I am usually very skeptical of gimicky ammo.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    That reminds me of the Quik Shot .22LR that came out a while ago. It was segmented into 3 pieces. I tried it on NC ground hogs at fairly close range with miserable results! (Stingers and Velociters worked MUCH better!) I am usually very skeptical of gimicky ammo.
    That's a safe mindset to have. It is rearely effective to partition pieces of a slow moving bullet such as a handgun round. I don't think these manufacturers understand that when they try to create these crazy rounds.

5lima30ret and CIBMike like this.

I've got some of this in 12-gauge and .45 ACP to test, but due to various factors (medical issues and a huge project at work) I just haven't been able to get to it. I am not surprised at the tiny wound channel of the central projectile, as it's simply a 00 buckshot ball.

Like you, I'm always curious when someone comes out with a new design, and at least the MIB is actually doing something different (with that string) unlike the rehash of the prefragmented rounds that we've seen over and over and over (yes, I'm talking about the G2 RIP and all the various similar designs that have come out over the years). Of course, we've seen bolo rounds in the past, but I can't recall any that were supposed to create a spinning vortex of doom like the animations on the MIB site show.

About the "pulsing" -- they say that you need to test it from various distances to see the effect. The petals are supposed to spray outwards due to the effect of the rifling, and reach full extension after a set distance (I don't recall what that distance is, but it might be about 15 feet or so). Then, once they've hit max, they're supposed to retract back down towards the center (over the course of another, say, 15 feet or whatever it is). So the distance you shoot it at may have a significant influence on the outcome that you get; shooting a paper target at 5 feet might show one big ragged hole, whereas at 15 feet (or whatever) it is supposed to be a central hole with three additional holes surrounding it, then at 30 feet or so it might be back to the one ragged hole, etc. I don't know if that's what it actually does, I'm just saying that that's pretty much how it was explained to me; I have yet to test it to verify.

Thanks for running a test. It does give me some ideas for further trying to test this stuff to see what merits it may have (or not have, as the case may be, but only testing can reveal those).
    usmc9688 likes this.

Wow. Im guessing, OP, that you wont be getting much repeat business from that outfit, lol.
    DingBat and usmc9688 like this.

Thank you for the testing and the review.

Long-standing note to self: avoid v1.0 products until the facts show themselves in reputation and longevity, for all the obvious reasons.
    usmc9688 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingTheBull View Post
    I've got some of this in 12-gauge and .45 ACP to test, but due to various factors (medical issues and a huge project at work) I just haven't been able to get to it. I am not surprised at the tiny wound channel of the central projectile, as it's simply a 00 buckshot ball.

Like you, I'm always curious when someone comes out with a new design, and at least the MIB is actually doing something different (with that string) unlike the rehash of the prefragmented rounds that we've seen over and over and over (yes, I'm talking about the G2 RIP and all the various similar designs that have come out over the years). Of course, we've seen bolo rounds in the past, but I can't recall any that were supposed to create a spinning vortex of doom like the animations on the MIB site show.

About the "pulsing" -- they say that you need to test it from various distances to see the effect. The petals are supposed to spray outwards due to the effect of the rifling, and reach full extension after a set distance (I don't recall what that distance is, but it might be about 15 feet or so). Then, once they've hit max, they're supposed to retract back down towards the center (over the course of another, say, 15 feet or whatever it is). So the distance you shoot it at may have a significant influence on the outcome that you get; shooting a paper target at 5 feet might show one big ragged hole, whereas at 15 feet (or whatever) it is supposed to be a central hole with three additional holes surrounding it, then at 30 feet or so it might be back to the one ragged hole, etc. I don't know if that's what it actually does, I'm just saying that that's pretty much how it was explained to me; I have yet to test it to verify.

Thanks for running a test. It does give me some ideas for further trying to test this stuff to see what merits it may have (or not have, as the case may be, but only testing can reveal those).
    Thank you. Off camera we fired from several distances and found that the in flight expansion was less than reliable. Hopefully it was just our lot of ammo. We had similar issues when we tested the 12ga. Good luck man i look forward to your tests! :)

So, basically, it reliably had unpredictable and variable trajectory, variable expansion and variable penetration, and about the only certainty was that it would reliably fail to meet the FBI standard penetration levels.

Sounds like a real winner, there.
    usmc9688 and rubberfrog like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Snake oil! Snake oil! Get your snake oil here! Guaranteed to work miracles."

Who was it said, "There's a sucker born every minute"?
    usmc9688 likes this.

Thanks for sharing your findings.
    usmc9688 likes this.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!.
    Some folks just don't get it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links