.357 or 9mm

This is a discussion on .357 or 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which one? Why? Going to buy a SIG P239....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 or 9mm

.357 or 9mm

Which one? Why? Going to buy a SIG P239.

2. Remove Ads

Well, you have about the same weight bullet and one has a slightly higher velocity. .357 Sig is faster than 9mm +P (~150-200fps). However, .357 Sig costs a lot more than 9mm for practice shooting. You start closing the gap slightly more with 9mm +p+ as carry ammo, but that can be hard on pistols. Although, I'd say the P239 will take it just fine.

Also, with the .357 Sig you can put a .40 barrel in your handgun and it will fire .40 rounds, so there is more versatility there.

Personally, I don't think there's enough of a difference between the rounds to matter because pistols are afterall pistols. I'd get the one that's cheapest to fire so that you can practice more. That's just my opinion though, so YMMV.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    I'd go with the 9mm, for the simple reason that it would be cheaper to practice with.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    9mm Cheaper to shoot get more trigger time. 9mm vs .357 vs .40 if you have some practice and training, you'll do equally well. I carry a 9mm most of the time now cause I used to fall into the theory of bigger means better. Did some research only to find I was thinking like a *******. Human beings don't tell caliber size, bullet weights or Metric Systems vs Standard, they only know that something important just shut down do to a well placed shot. Take that money you saved on ammo and get some training or more practice, cause in the end its all about where the bullet goes.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    357 Sig is a 9mm +P+ and the frame on the 239 can handle 9mm +P+ just as well as 357 Sig. Even with free 357 Sig ammo, I'd go with the 40 cal personally, I don't like the reputition 357 has of overpenatrating and though mandated to carry it, on my own time, I prefer something thats more known for staying in the torso (ie 40 cal).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    9mm Cheaper to shoot get more trigger time. 9mm vs .357 vs .40 if you have some practice and training, you'll do equally well. I carry a 9mm most of the time now cause I used to fall into the theory of bigger means better. Did some research only to find I was thinking like a *******. Human beings don't tell caliber size, bullet weights or Metric Systems vs Standard, they only know that something important just shut down do to a well placed shot. Take that money you saved on ammo and get some training or more practice, cause in the end its all about where the bullet goes.

JMHO but I agree.

.357 is a very versitile round, one of the top two for one shot stops, and one of the best for hunting. I'm a .45 guy, but I still love and respect the .357!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

kpw
    The only way I'm going to get a one shot stop is if I miss with the rest. Btw, what do you hunt with a .357 Sig?

Lead Moderator
    With the SIG 239 you have a choice, either 9mm or .40 S&W and/or 357 SIG. SIG makes "drop in" barrels for the 357/40 so you have a choice.

I have a 239 in 9mm and it's a great weapon. I just bought a 229 in .40 S&W and plan on getting a 357 SIG barrel for it just to have the full options.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have hunted hogs and white tail deer with my 357Sig. Jim Cerilo speaks highly of hunting game animals with the weapon you carry. I have found it a very challenging experience and the ONLY modern weapons I use to hunt (I have self limited myself to using longbows and flintlocks most of the time).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    (I have self limited myself to using longbows and flintlocks most of the time).
    Flintlocks?

One of my two long arms is a .45 caliber Lancaster style flintlock rifle.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    I have hunted hogs and white tail deer with my 357Sig. Jim Cerilo speaks highly of hunting game animals with the weapon you carry. I have found it a very challenging experience and the ONLY modern weapons I use to hunt (I have self limited myself to using longbows and flintlocks most of the time).
    How big are the deer? When I read Chuck Taylor's reviews and he talks about killing whitetails and muleys with whatever service pistol he's reviewing, it makes me cringe. If your using a .357 Sig, I'm assuming your getting close with broadside-ish only shots and know what your doing. Whitetails ain't hard to kill but they can be tricky to put down quickly...moreso with pistol pills.
    I'm a modern guy, I like my Parker and carbon arrows.

IMHO, 9mm is just fine, cheap to shoot, get good with it and put the rounds where you want them. Well placed rounds are what is important.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    How big are the deer? When I read Chuck Taylor's reviews and he talks about killing whitetails and muleys with whatever service pistol he's reviewing, it makes me cringe. If your using a .357 Sig, I'm assuming your getting close with broadside-ish only shots and know what your doing. Whitetails ain't hard to kill but they can be tricky to put down quickly...moreso with pistol pills.
    I'm a modern guy, I like my Parker and carbon arrows.
    I use my FN-FAL to hunt Deer, scoped with a 5 round mag
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I personaly carry a single stack 9mm. That pretty much summs up my opinion on what i am comfortable with . .357 sig is a fine round , but offers me personaly nothing over 9.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links