158gr +P in a Rossi

This is a discussion on 158gr +P in a Rossi within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, As per my recent post, I found a LNIB Rossi snubby revolver, no lock, pre- +P issue. I bought some S&W 158gr LSWCHP +P ...

Thread: 158gr +P in a Rossi

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

158gr +P in a Rossi

Hello,

As per my recent post, I found a LNIB Rossi snubby revolver, no lock, pre- +P issue.

I bought some S&W 158gr LSWCHP +P for self-defense. Standard pressure is used for practice.

A member of H&A lists the defensive ammo I got as 1060fps! I'm assuming this is from a 4" barrel, if not a rifle barrel. If the "50fps/inch of barrel" holds true, which it doesn't always, I'd still be getting 960fps out of a snubby!

My question to you is, what can I expect with this gun/ammo combination? I know it will accelerate wear, but I do not plan on shooting it more than 5 rounds every 6 months, and that only to get rid of my old carry rounds and load up fresh. All practice shooting will be done with standard pressure.

I am quite used to shooting .357 mag, and a friend's .38spl 3" with hot loads, so I'm used to the recoil; no need to practice that. I'm a recoil junky ;D

My question to the board is this: What can I expect upon firing this stuff? As I said earlier, I know accelerated wear is a given, but I'm asking more about catastrophic failures. Would you expect the forcing cone to give in five shots? One hundred shots? I'm aware of the .38/44 being loaded into old J-Frames before the advent of the .357mag.

I guess I'm looking for someone to say that I will or will not experience a severely stretched frame, cracked forcing cone, or blown up gun with the very limited shooting I described above. :)

Any takers on guessing what 10 rounds per year of severly hot ammo would do to a J-Frame Rossi?

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I don't think you will have a problem with the limited diet that you describe.

I would check the frame for stress cracks or better yet get a gunsmith to check the pistol out.

Assuming it is in good shape you shouldn't have any problems. Of course you know what happens when you assume
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hello,

I'm a gunsmith in training, actually ready to start some work as soon as I send off for my permit. I decided I'd do this for retirement but get my training in now, at 29. The gun checked out so nicely that I bought it.

I've got answers coming in from other boards now too, and it seems that S&W was quite liberal in their advertisements. They used a 10" sealed barrel, very unrealistic unless you're talking .357mag for a hunting gun like a Contender, perhaps.

Thanks!

Josh <><

I have an older Rossi 88 in .38 Spl that I have shot +P in for years (going on 25 now). If you like recoil, you will get some. Not a lot more but definitely more than stand. press. loads. What you will notice is that the groups will open up quite a bit.

As for the gun, it will take the extra strain of the +P's. The Rossi is a well made gun.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Links