gouges/scratches in shell casing

This is a discussion on gouges/scratches in shell casing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was practicing with some dummy rounds last night and I noticed my gun (Walther CCP) is putting gouges or scratches on the shell casings. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By dangerranger
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: gouges/scratches in shell casing

gouges/scratches in shell casing

I was practicing with some dummy rounds last night and I noticed my gun (Walther CCP) is putting gouges or scratches on the shell casings. I am asking because after I cycled them through the gun a few times the slide now gets stuck closed and it takes extreme force to eject these round. Just to check I put a SD round in the magazine and cycled it trough fine but came out with a gouge in the casing. Is this normal?

Edit: I am not talking about the crimp marks on the dummy round I am talking about the gouges in the rear of the casing. There are also scratches that run up the casing from the base which are hard to make out in these pictures.

20150815_182758.jpg20150815_182826.jpg

Those are pretty normal. Use some fine sandpaper and clean them up. [Just the dummy rounds ] Have you put this round in the chamber and dropped the slide on it? That is harder on both them and the extractor. Or do these hit the concrete floor often? That would also cause them to get beat up quickly. But that's what dummy rounds are for. DR
    Ianthin and msgt/ret like this.

I'm not familiar with your pistol, but I was wondering if you were putting the dummy round in the chamber, also.
    Those look like the extractor was slamming into them. And that might have *tweaked* your extractor enough to where it's causing the slide to hang up a little. It might be binding or wedging itself against the round and the slide.
    That's just a guess though, not knowing the mechanics of your pistol.

I did put one or two into the chamber and drop the slide but all of them look like this and the SD rounds I cycled through do as well. Did I damage the gun? Do I need to have it looked at? This gun was already ammo picky I don't want it to get worse. I didn't know manually putting a round into the chamber and closing the slide was a bad thing.

The "damage" to the round doesn't necessarily concern me but the slide being locked in the closed position definitely does. I am planning on giving this gun to my wife soon so I want to make sure it will function properly.

Senior Moderator
    Soft brass and hard steel results in what you're seeing. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your gun chambers and extracts the rounds.

Understand that the empty case is retained by the extractor claw during recoil until the inboard side of the case head hits the ejector. Some (most?) ejectors have a slight bevel on their contact face so the empty is launched upward as well as outward, to clear the ejection port. This is the opportunity for the ejector claw to leave its mark on the case rim. If somehow the case was ejected vertically, the motion would be similar to the case feeding under the extractor claw from the magazine and you wouldn't see the marking.
    patri0t and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've had a few semis that have been hard on casings and marked them up worse than yours, but resolved the issue by running another 2-300+ rounds through them. It has become something I almost expect to different degrees.
    It's a good rule to Never hand feed a round into the chamber as has been explained above. Let the slide peel what it needs off the mag and just replenish the mag afterwards.
    All semis will leave their unique 'tool marks' on the casings, but if they get deeper with time or other feeding / ejection problems arise, get it to a gunsmith for a diagnostic.
    If I were giving it to my wife as a SD piece, I might have a 'smith look it over anyway, for my own piece of mind since I'm no expert.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links