federal ammo fmj 40 cal

This is a discussion on federal ammo fmj 40 cal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you all feel in using fmj in 40 caliber for self defense...

Thread: federal ammo fmj 40 cal

federal ammo fmj 40 cal

How do you all feel in using fmj in 40 caliber for self defense

2. Remove Ads

I feel good about it.

Bullet placement matters much, much more than bullet type. 135 to 185 grains moving at 980 to 1300 feet per second at the muzzle of any kind of object that hits the right spot should help in most situations.

.40 is a fine defensive caliber. Some people consider it under-powered, but that is only if you compare it to 10MM (which it was derived from). On average the .40 is going to have more stopping power than a 9MM, but less than a 10MM or .45. The bottom line is this: pick the largest caliber that you can comfortably shoot (and that gives you the capacity you need) and practice! Shot placement counts for a lot. It doesn't matter how powerful your round is, if you can't hit the target.

Now, onto the FMJ part of your question. I wouldn't use it for defense. Both 9MM and .40 FMJ are going to have enough energy to through a person, and still have lethal velocity. There is too much chance of a bullet passing through a BG, through a wall, and into an unintended target. I've got Remington Golden Sabers inside my M&P .40 right now. They are jacketed hollow points. Better stopping power and much less of a chance of over-penetration. You should still be aware of what is behind your target though (there is not magic solution, I'm afraid).
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

FMJ for self defense= liability. You are much safer, financially and physically, when using a hollow point and more likely to cause an incapacitating wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    FMJ for self defense= liability. You are much safer, financially and physically, when using a hollow point and more likely to cause an incapacitating wound.
    Unless your faced with a jury who doesn't like the fact that you use hollowpoints, like the one that was posted on this forum a couple of months back. For the defendant in that case; hollow points = conviction.

You just have to take your chances either way I guess.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Unless your faced with a jury who doesn't like the fact that you use hollowpoints, like the one that was posted on this forum a couple of months back. For the defendant in that case; hollow points = conviction.

You just have to take your chances either way I guess.

Yes, I posted about that case (if memory serves me right I brought the subject up) but I believe I have a better argument and justification for using hollow points. The jury that does not like hollow points is an uneducated jury and know nothing more than what a bad defense attorney presents them with. Seriously, if a CCW'er can't provide his or her attorney with evidence indicating Hollow Points are easier to defend than FMJ he probably doesn't deserve to be carrying in the first place.

What evidence/ arguments do I speak of:

1. HP are designed to NOT over penetrate there for are safer to the public. Example: if I shoot a perpetrator they will stay in him and not pass through and hit and unintended target (if they do pass through they will have dumped most of their energy and will have virtually nothing left)

2. HP are what ALMOST EVERY Police Department in the Nation carry, there must be a reason for that. (Also a good reason to use what your local PD is using)

3. Hollow Points can be more accurate as their center of gravity is shifted rearwards when compared to FMJ.

4. HP are also less likely to ricochet.

Those are just a few arguments off the top of my head, if I wanted to get really detailed I would start citing FBI wound ballistic research.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coronel View Post
    How do you all feel in using fmj in 40 caliber for self defense
    I'd have no problem, I personally avoid 180 grain. I would prefer to use a hollow pt in the pipe and power balls in the mag.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post

That simply should not be the case, if one has a competent lawyer.

If you get a lawyer who hires an expert witness who was a cop, or police chief, or ballistics expert, etc. who will get on the stand and say that police use the same or similar ammunition because it is responsible and safer than using NON-hollowpoint, I have to imagine that would affect a jury's thinking about the subject. When they find out that you loaded with hollowpoints not to be superlethal but to protect innocents, maybe that would clear up their thinking (and the misdirection and disingenuousness of the prosecutor).

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    2. HP are what ALMOST EVERY Police Department in the Nation carry, there must be a reason for that. (Also a good reason to use what your local PD is using)
    How would one go about finding that out? Is it information that police departments make available somewhere, or via some request process?

I'd like to know exactly what ammunition the West Palm Beach police carry. Does anyone here know? How would you find out, without appearing to be a wacko or just a suspicious character?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    How would one go about finding that out? Is it information that police departments make available somewhere, or via some request process?

I'd like to know exactly what ammunition the West Palm Beach police carry. Does anyone here know? How would you find out, without appearing to be a wacko or just a suspicious character?

I would say the best thing is to try and makes friends or an acquaintance with and LEO. Hanging around gun ranges or gun shops is one of the easier ways. Maybe if you pass one walking down the street you could stop and talk to him: "Hello officer do you mind if I ask you a question? I am a permit holder, and from a safety standpoint, was wondering what type of ammo you carry while on duty?"

There are many ways, but I would not recommend just calling up the main line and ask that question...the subject does require a certain level of preface.

Mabe theres a WPB LEO on this forum. you never know. I blame most of the misinformation about any thing to do with guns on the film industery.

Links