.38spl+P Magtech Test

This is a discussion on .38spl+P Magtech Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Magtech is a lesser-known Brazilian munitions company. According to their website, their ammo is used by the Brazilian military. I bought some today as the ...

Thread: .38spl+P Magtech test

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

.38spl+P Magtech test

Magtech is a lesser-known Brazilian munitions company. According to their website, their ammo is used by the Brazilian military.

I bought some today as the S&W ammo I have is older than I thought, and semi-collectible. I also had a "phobia" about firing +P in my Rossi snub after hearing some horror stories about the results. Luckily, I still have my face and all my fingers, and the revolver is no worse for the wear. I still believe it would be prudent to limit my shooting of +P, but carrying it for defensive purposes shouldn't hurt a thing in my opinion.

This is the Magtech box. I picked it out and I found it had no price tag. I told the salesman what it was likely worth, and he gave it to me for less than I stated. Nice guy.

When I think ".38 Special" I associate it with a lead round. These still don't have the visual appeal for me, but hey, if it works...

I do not have pictures of the actual test. I was sloshing ankle deep in mud due to the melting of the winter's blizzard snows, and I didn't want to expose my camera to that.

My primary range was inaccessible. The creek is actually up over the bridge, and I'll likely have to replace the bridge again this year... figures. So I filled up four one gallon milk jugs and headed out to the backup range. Firing distance was seven yards - I was hoping not to get any water on me as I had forgotten to rinse this batch of milk jugs out! I wasn't disappointed.

If subjective recoil is any indication, this stuff is just barely +P. It felt no different than the standard pressure loadings I've been practicing with, both 130gr jacketed and 158gr Magtech standard pressure LRN.

The round struck the first jug dead center and blew out its sides, and duplicated that performance to a slightly lesser degree on the second. The third was leaking from both the front and the back, and the fourth was dented, but not penetrated. I fished the spend round out of muddy water in between the third and forth jugs (don't you just love what I go through for ya'll? 8-) )

The expanded round showed what I would accept as OK performance from a 2" barreled revolver. Not thrilling performance, but OK.

As you can see, it about half-expanded. It held together well, losing a single petal. It was just beginning to exhibit jacket separation. At its widest deformation point, it is a little less than 1/2" wide.

Is this stuff my first choice? No, it's not. The American Eagle (Federal) standard pressure my dealer has ordered likely won't be my first choice either. However, they're acceptable choices while I find what I like best.

http://www.magtechammunition.com/

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    As an addendum: They list their +P 124gr 9mm load at ~1096fps. I almost wonder if they label everything as +P as a precaution or marketing tactic.

Josh <><

VIP Member
    Good post. Well reported and not at all a dry read (). I've heard of the company, but didn't know anything about them. This is good info.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Links