Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40... - Page 2

Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40...

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Though not in .40, if interested, the link below shows results from informal testing of Corbon's ammunition, including Pow'R'ball in 38 Super: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...mo%20Tests.htm Best....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40...

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Though not in .40, if interested, the link below shows results from informal testing of Corbon's ammunition, including Pow'R'ball in 38 Super:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...mo%20tests.htm

Best.

Senior Moderator
    Wow, thanks for the link. I've just glanced over it and I already like it.. I'll have to do some serious reading tonight.

Thanks again.

He beat me to it. I was about to post a link to Mr Camp's test.
    I fund it interesting that PowRBalls penetrated so well. It kind of bridged the gap between the rather fast-expanding Sierra JHP CorBon uses, and the DPX that's meant to penetrate. I would have expected them to expand rapidly, which would slow their penetration just as fast, but that doesn't seem to be the case in his (and other) reports.
    I'm wondering if the ball stays in place in front of the bullet, or goes off on another path. If it stays in front of the bullet, it might explain the penetration, since the round shape can help "part" the material. Just a wild guess there.

I have only tried a couple of boxes each in 9mm and 38 Super, so can't report much. Like most ammo I've used from CorBon, it was accurate, consistent, and on the "stout" side.
    I want to get some more (and DPX) and test further.

Another alternative for you might be Federal's EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).
    It looks like a FMJ bullet with a slightly flattened tip, but the nose contains a pellet of silicon. Upon impact, the nose and silicon flattens out so it looks about like a mushroomed JHP. I have a few boxes of it in 9mm and it has fed slickly through everything I've tried.
    I only have a couple of older guns that I feel need the "help" of this bullet, so don't use it much. It does seem to be quite accurate, so I usually run some through each new gun just to see what it will do.
    I don't know if all the calibers of EFMJ are this way, but in 9mm, it comes in two variations- one is rather tame and the other is "hotter", so kep that in mind if you decide to look for some.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I prefer Federal EFMJ over the PB as it stays together whereas the PB has been shown to come apart in most tests. However, I do have some PB in 10mm as EFMJ is not made in that caliber. Besides the EFMJ is almost 1/2 the price of powerball at $26 for a box of 50.

I have 40 PowrBall ammo. I used to carry 135gr Corbon jhps. Either are hot loads that from all I have seen, expand well.

The ball forces the expansion then goes its own course. The only concern I have is that in a number of gelatin tests, I have see the jacket separate from the core. This could be a problem or help.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just spent a weekend with one of my former partners who is a jello junkie for his dept.....his statement was that the PowrBalls did ok but not as impressive as JHPs out there. If my pistol didnt like JHPs or I lived in NJ the load I'd use would be the PowrBalls.

On the Glasser Safety Slugs.....love them. Only caution on them is with very round (thats a pc word that you can guess yourself) people and heavier clothing they dont seem to work real well. Worked a shooting where a very large BG broke into a house and took six Glasser safety slugs in the chest but he was so large they wern't able to reach any vital organs and another where a leather biker/police style jacket slowed them down to prevent serious damage.

That said, I have worked many a number of shootings where they have done perfectly and once the BG was cut open the wound channel was simply increadible....in fact my two house guns both carry CorBon Safety Slugs in them (Glock 19 first 6 and 38 revolver all five cylinders.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

My .44 house guns and my wife's Chief's are fed with Glasers Safety Slugs. I'm comfortable with them.

I had some powr balls but this disturbed me enough to not carry them.

www.thegunzone.com/powrball.html

That's not to say that the powr balls aren't better in .40

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    But there again....if your ordered to only carry ball ammo (ie New Jersey) thats better than having overpenetrating non-expanding ball ammo.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I dont have any fancy tests but I've run a few .40's out of my sig and I can tell you that they completely destroy filled water jugs. I carry them on occasion because they have proven 100% reliable so far.

If worried about what ammo can be defended in a court room, use the ammo that your state police and local law enforcement use!

That should shut down any idiotic song and dance that a prosecutor might try and take you. In Missouri, the Highway Patrol use Federal Hydra-Shock and so do a majority of local sheriff and municipal police departments. (If it's a horrible, blood-thirsty, gruesome, mega-killer bullet... why do all the police use them?) See my point?

Also, the rounds used by your State Police or Highway Patrol will usually be of high quality with a proven track record in shooting instances and they will have the documentation to prove it.

If your gun doesn't digest that brand and type of ammunition, it can usually be remedied by a competent gunsmith for a few dollars for throating and polishing. Usually all is needed is polishing the feed ramp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links