Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40...

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Usually what goes in my magazine and therefore into my Kimber .40 is Federal Hydra-shock 155 grain hollow-points. While at the range yesterday, however, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Glaser Pow'RBall Self-Defense Ammunition in .40...

Senior Moderator

Usually what goes in my magazine and therefore into my Kimber .40 is Federal Hydra-shock 155 grain hollow-points.

While at the range yesterday, however, I had a couple of hangups with the hollow points. Not bad, just getting stuck on the feed ramp. Only two out of 14 rounds, but still.... Consistency is important.

So I'm looking at other ammo to see if we can fix the feeding problem.

My hubs bought me a box of Corbon Glaser Pow'RBalls in .40 (obviously) 135 grain.

I read an article once from a guy who goes to trial as a defense witness for people (mainly LEOs) who have to defend their decision to use deadly force. He wrote on the necessity to have a good defense for everything you do and use from your gun, ammunition, caliber and so on. I agree and I like knowing everything I can about what I'm going to be using in self-defense, even my ammunition.

Anyone ever used Pow'RBall before? Any likes, dislikes, concerns (other than the price )?

Thanks
    Last edited by limatunes; March 11th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Had Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm 124gr +P+ in my CZ P01. They were darned near perfect, in terms of cycling reliability. Tried the Corbon Pow'r Ball rounds, but they would not feed. At all. Your gun forced moving away from Hydrashoks to Pow'r Balls. Mine forced staying away from Pow'r Balls at all costs. Go figure.

Every gun's different.

I'm with you, on justifying each and every thing you do. Know why you're doing it; what benefit you're providing (safety, reliability, greater accuracy to avoid the proverbial 3yr old child in the background). Keep a range log, if you can. It can be a record of noting your formal goals for the session, documenting your sober approach to improving your marksmanship through consistent training, not merely blasting away with as many rounds as you're able.

Edit: Am now using DoubleTap 124gr +P's in my CZ P01. They cycle perfectly; the gun's exceedingly reliable with them; they're low flash and low smoke. The bullets hit like a ton of bricks, which is what you want, but it's remarkably easy to manage follow-on hits. Either the DT 124gr's or the FHT 124gr's above should be candidates, if you're looking to switch. Having troubles with hangups on the feed ramp? Getting a gunsmith's attention could well smooth things out, there.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 12th, 2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: reference to DoubleTap rounds currently being used
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My Commander proved a little fussy once in a while with various hollow points. Couldn't get my hands on Pow'rBall locally. Did discover Federal EFMJ and it proved an excellent match. I've always been curious about the Corbon loads though.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    9mm, .40s&w, and, 45acp work fine for me.

Senior Moderator
    I haven't tried them yet, because we went to the range yesterday and only got the new Corbons this morning, so today I carried my Hydra-shocks (don't want to carry something I haven't tried out)... The guy who sold them raved about them, and I did a little research on the web but found nothing but what's on the companies web site and you know they will say anything to make them look fabulous. Ahhh I wish I had a range in my back yard to test things like this....

Lead Moderator
    Personally I like heavier bullets for my guns. I have never tried Pwr ball ammo , but hey , if it works for you all the better. Maybe try a box .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was going to try the PowerBalls, but have had no trouble with regular HPs feeding just fine.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

VIP Member
    I carry Pow'rBalls in my 9mm Sig P239, .357SIG P239, 10mm S&W 1066, and .45 ACP Springfield 1911A1. I have fired several mags in each and had no problems. I started using them after watching a demo of some being fired through auto door, windshield and then soft target (deer leg). They went through the door and windshield without expanding and expanded perfectly in the deer leg. I was impressed. I don't know how the ball determines whether the target is hard or soft, not how it knows to expand in soft, all I know is it worked over and over. The only reason I don't have Pow'rBalls in my Makarov .380 and the wife's .40 Glock is I haven't bought them yet. I know the .380 are available, but haven't found any, and until yesterday we did not have a .40.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    The only reason I don't have Pow'rBalls in my Makarov .380 and the wife's .40 Glock is I haven't bought them yet. I know the .380 are available, but haven't found any, and until yesterday we did not have a .40.
    You may (or equally may not) recall I was getting some Pow'R Balls in both those calibers recently.
    The .40s were easy to find but the .380s I had to order from a store, all online retailers were out of stock. When they arrived the box was different to the older style, different graphics and a clear window. Maybe this is why they were hard to find?

I haven't used them yet. I got 5 boxes of .380 to test in my Sig P232 before carrying them. I don't predict any problems and will add to my previous thread with a range report.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks all for the replies so far. I hope we can go out soon and put a box through at least. If they are good I might get them for the .380s as well, even though both of them have not had so much as a hiccup with the Hydra-shocks.

All I know is that sometimes Hydra shock is painted as a BAD bullet for self defense not in that they are bad bullets, but prosecutors love to paint those who carry hydra-shocks as blood thirsty killers with a need for maximum damage. I've read a few cases where hydra-shocks have been particularly the worm food of the courts.

I'm also looking at possibly the Glaser Safety Slugs. We'll see.

Senior Moderator
    Range report. I went to the range tonight and put a couple rounds through. I only had one box so I didn't put the whole thing through. However, the rounds that I did put through fed beautifully. They seemed rather "hot" though. I was very surprised in the difference between the 165 grains I was shooting and the pow'rballs. It was very noticeable.

Either way, they fed good, but I'll need more of them to really test.... Now it's cleaning time!
    Last edited by limatunes; March 21st, 2007 at 12:21 AM.

Oh they are definitely hotter than a lot of SD ammo.
    Try loading a mag with different ammo, say some Hornady, some Remington, and then a couple of Pow'R Balls.
    You will notice the difference more markedly then.

VIP Member
    I really like them in my Bersa Thunder. It seems to give the 380 a little more punch.

Administrator
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 21st, 2007 at 04:12 AM.

Senior Moderator
    What I had been doing is loading up two mags and then emptying them both, bringing the target back, checking it, putting it back out and then reloading two more mags and so on.

So, I filled one mag with regular FMJs and the other with the pow'rballs. I got done shooting the one magazine and then put in the other right away, pulled the trigger and thought, "DANG!"

They weren't bad, but definitely a bit hotter. I got all of the rounds on the page. I was happy.

Then I switched to my .380 and had to wonder if the gun even fired after I pulled the trigger because it didn't seem like there was a recoil at all. I felt like I was shooting a .22.

Then I got to stay up until 0130 this morning cleaning guns while watching "Arsenic and Old Lace."

I'm tired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links