+P for 3" Kimber - Page 2

+P for 3" Kimber

This is a discussion on +P for 3" Kimber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike from Texas All this talk of feed/jam issues with the Kimber Ultra Carry II is making me nervous. I currently have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    All this talk of feed/jam issues with the Kimber Ultra Carry II is making me nervous. I currently have one on order and am now second guessing my decision. Problems like this are unacceptable to me for a gun that I pay near $1k for and that I may potentially be trusting my life or my families lives to. Is it a common problem with them?
    I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor II. 450 rounds of various ammo,all in one session with no problems whatsoever.Note also this is with stock Kimber magazines. I couldn't induce a failure limp wristing either. I cleaned it when I bought it and lubed it as per manual.

I wouldn't get too nervous. All guns are a little bit different. My Ultra Raptor II feeds everything I put in it.
    "If discretion is the most important thing to the man who carries a gun, competency is the most imperative to the man who eventually uses it." - Massad Ayoob
    NRA Life member
    NRA certified pistol instructor

Ultra CDP II problem

I wouldn't wait any longer to call Kimber. I waited till 1100 round to finally get pissed enough to call, it was just wasted ammo and money. My main problem FTF, but they fixed 6 different things. Kimber issued a call tag for UPS and I had it back in 9 days. It has been 100% reliable since, and is my valued CCW now. Dennis at Kimber recommends not shooting +P through the aluminum framed , expensive guns. I think the extra power just batters the 3" guns too much, that's why I carry the Winchester Ranger T (RA45T) Mike
    Last edited by MJZZZ; April 6th, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Senior Moderator
    I have a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry.. Hollow points were also jamming in my gun and so I switched to pow'rballs, but not +P. I only fired about 9 or 10 of them but none of them jammed. Then I started shooting more FMJs and realized that it wasn't JUST hollow points that were hanging up.

I didn't like how hot the rounds were either, but oh well... another battle for another day.

Right now my Kimber's at the gunsmith. It has WELL over 1,000 rounds through it. It shouldn't be having any feeding problems.

We'll see what happens when it comes back from the 'smith.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZZZ View Post
    I wouldn't wait any longer to call Kimber. I waited till 1100 round to finally get pissed enough to call, it was just wasted ammo and money. My main problem FTF, but they fixed 6 different things. Kimber issued a call tag for UPS and I had it back in 9 days. It has been 100% reliable since, and is my valued CCW now. Dennis at Kimber recommends not shooting +P through the aluminum framed , expensive guns. I think the extra power just batters the 3" guns too much, that's why I carry the Winchester Ranger T (RA45T) Mike
    Were you getting FTF with everything or just hollowpoints?

As of now (about 600? rounds) anything but hollowpoints feed flawlessly. Hollow points just jam right into the ramp. Using factory mag with Cobra spring and follower, and Wilson mags. Switched to the EFMJ Federals, and they feed fine as well. Moved the +P stuff to my P14.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

All my feeding problems were with FMJ, I never shot JHP's until about 1500 rounds. By that time Kimber had tuned the gun and all my problems were history. Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.'' Warren vs District of Columbia

Here's some food for thought on those Powrballs........

www.thegunzone.com/powrball.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links