+P for 3" Kimber

This is a discussion on +P for 3" Kimber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've ordered some of the Corbon Pow'rBall ammo in 165gr +P for a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. I've had trouble with it feeding hollow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P for 3" Kimber

+P for 3" Kimber

I've ordered some of the Corbon Pow'rBall ammo in 165gr +P for a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. I've had trouble with it feeding hollow points. Jam right into the feed ramp.

I'm still probably in the break in period. Approaching 500 rounds, if not past yet. It is getting better. Not jamming as frequently.

Thought maybe these would help, but now I'm wondering about +P ammo in a 3" aluminum frame.

Is +P ammo an issue for this type of gun?

Thanks.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If the owners manual doesn't, I'd call or e-mail Kimber.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    They specifically recommend that you don't use +P ammo. Having said that, I know others have used it without issue.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Question Not Jamming As Frequently?

That is still not acceptable...I have had no problems with either of my two Kimbers...a 3", and a 4". At least a 2k-4k through each...I'd be calling Kimber immediately. You certainly would not want to depend upon an only 'jamming once in a while' weapon...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have talked to Kimber and they are willing to take the gun and look at it. However, everyone I've talked to about a 3 inch has recommended getting 500 rounds through it before I give up and send it in.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."

Personally, I would never shoot anything with Cor-Bon on the box. It's just plain unsafe due to exceeding maximum recommended pressures. Yup... DANGEROUS

While I dont have a problem with people choosing +P .45acp ammo, I see no reason for it whatsoever.

In a 3" gun?? I dont know anyone who can shoot consistent followups with the hot stuff, quickly and accurately... and I know some REAL good shooters. Not to mention, it's just plain painful!

If youre having feeding issues.. (yours sound like mag issues), and dont want to remedy it, you'd be better off with the new Federal EMJ stuff. JMO
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That is still not acceptable...I have had no problems with either of my two Kimbers...a 3", and a 4". At least a 2k-4k through each...I'd be calling Kimber immediately. You certainly would not want to depend upon an only 'jamming once in a while' weapon...

OMO

ret

+1.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I wouldn't take the magic 500 round point for break in as gospel. Mine took 800 rounds and I have seen forum comments that say the same.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

CorBon's DPX 160 was developed for short barrels and is NOT +P. No problems in my Kimber Tac Ultra II, 3". testers say it penetrates and expands exceptionally well.
    The fact that you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Not particularly looking for +P, just interested in the Powerball stuff. Thought it might feed better. FMJ ball feeds flawlessly. Hollow points of all types will consistently jam dead center into the feed ramp.

Mag Springs

I had a lot of nose dive feed jams in my 4" Kimber, even with FMJ! After a lot of frequent flier miles, the fix was a new mag spring from Cobramag. They are much more powerful and solved my problem.

I can't guaranty it will fix your nose dive, but it fixed mine. Mine was happiest with the Wilson tubes with the Cobramag upgrades in them.

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    I have talked to Kimber and they are willing to take the gun and look at it. However, everyone I've talked to about a 3 inch has recommended getting 500 rounds through it before I give up and send it in.
    Forget calling Kimber, find a recommended gun smith in your area if you don't have one or know of one already and have them tune your Ultra. You will spend slightly more than what it will cost you to send it back to Kimber, maybe $60-70 bucks, but your problem will vanish. I had mine done but also with a trigger job and this thing will shoot anything with any mag in it period so far. I have just over 2k through it since the tune. Your problem can also be that your stock Kimber mag's, are you using the stock mag's or something else? I use tripp cobra mag's in mine and they allow for a much more positive feed due to the angle of the follower.

ETA - I also do not use +P ammo, I do not feel there is a need for it, just my preferance.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Read your owners manual, my SA 3".45 the owners manual specifically says NO +P ammo. As for your feeding issues and break in. I agree that there is no magic 500-800 round number. Every pistol is different and when it "reliably" feeds and cycles every round you have in it then it is broken it! I've got +1000 thru my SA and I think I found a good HP, Winchester SXT's, that it feeds reliable ( reliably = NO MISSFEEDS) but there could be many reasons for your issues, steep feed ramp synonomous with a 3" mated with a large holed hollow point (try many types of ammo), magazines feeding incorrectly ( try different mags ) , polish the feed ramp ( its a new gun right?, does it need it)... good luck and keep us posted!
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Good point, I had forgotten to check the manual.

Since then, I found some Federal EFMJ (expanding fmj). Feeds flawlessly so far.

Feel much better now with this as a carry pistol.

All this talk of feed/jam issues with the Kimber Ultra Carry II is making me nervous. I currently have one on order and am now second guessing my decision. Problems like this are unacceptable to me for a gun that I pay near $1k for and that I may potentially be trusting my life or my families lives to. Is it a common problem with them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links