Question on 223 ammo

This is a discussion on Question on 223 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys we are doing exacly what i wished we wouldnt , We are getting so far into terminal ballistics that some's eyes glaze over . ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on 223 ammo

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys we are doing exacly what i wished we wouldnt , We are getting so far into terminal ballistics that some's eyes glaze over . Can we agree that as used now ( the 5.56 with double or tirple taps works , the 7.62 works, especialy with multiple hits ) , as to why each works and the methods leave it to others . Just take a lesson from the use today . MY thoughts are that if they are worth shooting the first time they are worth shooting till they are down . Have you a .25 acp or a .50bmg the answer is the same .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

Yup, I'm in agreement.

Blackeagle,

I hadn't thought about the sturdy-er 7.62 bullet, thanks. The gist of the study and I guess the reason for doing it was the early on complaints about the effectiveness of the current systems and ammo.

Apparently, the YAW effect and fragmentation vary depending on a boat-load of variables. In some tests, the yaw and fragmentation and therefore wound channel were large, then the next shot would have a much lesser effect all things being seemingly equal. Something to do with the exact yaw angle at the point of penetration.

Pretty interesting reading really.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    According to several things I've read (and, not having done autopsies on any of the folks I've seen shot with 5.56 and/or 7.62, this is all that I can really base my opinion on) is that it takes about 4-5" or so for a 5.56 M855 round to destabilize enough to begin to yaw. In very thin targets (like in Somalia, for instance), the round didn't have enough time in the target to yaw/fragment, and thus produced _relatively_ minor wounds. It would seem that the 7.62 round, being so much heavier, would require even more time in the target to begin it's yaw - this might explain a lot of the "5.56 is more effective at close range" results.

Here's a short but interesting blurb regarding the effects of the two rounds in dogs (something that I, unfortunately, got a lot of experience with in Afghanistan, keeping my snipers trained and the wild dog population around the FOB down at the same time):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

And RR, I know were delving into some fairly esoteric terminal ballistics territory, but academic exercises like this have their place too, no? :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links