Glock 23 ammunition ??

This is a discussion on Glock 23 ammunition ?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello i have a new Glock 23 (.40) & iam wondering what kinda ammo u guys with more experiance are using in these for Range ...

Thread: Glock 23 ammunition ??

Glock 23 ammunition ??

Hello i have a new Glock 23 (.40) & iam wondering what kinda ammo u guys with more experiance are using in these for Range (cheaper) & Personal Defense (stopping power & safty)?? Also can someone explain to me in simple terms what grain i should be using & why it works best?? Every time so far when i purchase ammo & ask these questions they tell me to experiment, now i understand that for brands of ammo but there has to be a reason for the multiple grains & so far stores cant explain it to me (sorry iam new @ this)..thanks for any words of advice

2. Remove Ads

Trust me! We were all NEWBIEs once upon a time! I bought my first Glock 40 (model 22) in 1991. Then I bought a Glock 23 less than a year later. Alas, I sold the G23 but recently picked up another one thanks to Echo Four (you da man!) and IMO, the best DEFENSIVE ammo I've found and what I use on duty (yes, I'm a cop) is probably the Winchester 180 grain SXT. If you are unsure what that round is, it's actually the "caucasian" version of the infamous Black Talon. Another good DEFENSIVE round, if you can find 'em, is the PMC Starfire in 180 grain. Other good rounds are the Federal Hydra-Shoks and Hornady XTP - both in 180 grain. A lot of guys swear by the Cor-Bon in 165 and 135 grains, but I personally find them a little hot - especially for a beginner.

As far as PRACTICE/RANGE ammo, Remington UMC is good stuff, but it can be a little pricey. Some guys like the CCI Blazer, but I have found that sometimes the aluminum casings can kinda hang up on the feed ramp if your piece is a little dirty. CCI does make a Blazer Brass which is good stuff.

Personally...I like the 180 grain. That's the round that was created for that specific weapon and it's a proven "man-stopper." The 165 and 135 grain rounds are faster, that's true...but I prefer a slower heavier round. If you are ever involved in an armed encounter, chances are you are gonna be within arms reach of your assailant(s). If you are at any distance over 21 feet (+/-) the BG isn't a threat to you anyway - unless he is armed, of course. But if he/she is farther away than that and you have access to a rifle - THAT'S what you want!

Hey thanks alot it sounds as if u have alot of experiance & if u say 180 gr. then thats what ill stick too as ive been mostly using that anyway. Thats funny though the PMC 180gr Starfire is what ive been using they have them at our local SG store & they seem to work well when ive practiced with them. I have used that remington but yes a little pricy. I have also used MagTech a bit @ the range but they seem real dirty. I will give that BlazerBrass a try i saw that @ WalMart today, some friends & I are goin to the range this weekend so ill try em. Thanks for clearing up the grain thing, so if i understand correctly the 180 is slower than say 165 but more powerful, thats understandable. Thanks again !!
    Last edited by Slim_45; March 22nd, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post
    Hey thanks alot it sounds as if u have alot of experiance & if u say 180 gr. then thats what ill stick too as ive been mostly using that anyway. Thats funny though the PMC 180gr Starfire is what ive been using they have them at our local SG store & they seem to work well when ive practiced with them. I have used that remington but yes a little pricy. I have also used MagTech a bit @ the range but they seem real dirty. I will give that BlazerBrass a try i saw that @ WalMart today, some friends & I are goin to the range this weekend so ill try em. Thanks for clearing up the grain thing, so if i understand correctly the 180 is slower than say 165 but more powerful, thats understandable. Thanks again !!
    Yeah, the bigger the weight, the slower the projectile. Alot of guys swear by the 165 &135 grain stuff, but I like 180 grain. For up close & personal, heavier is better.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I use Hornady TAP 155gr in my XD. When it comes to your own personal choice, go with what you trust - it must feed perfectly, and be from a quality manufacturer. Nearly any JHP round that meets these criteria would qualify as a good choice.

I picked the 155gr TAP because it has more muzzle energy than a 230gr .45 ACP +P, and the XTP bullet is known for predictable, reliable expansion.

"If you can't knock 'em down...GLOCK 'em down!"

Just wanted to tell u...I love it

Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post
    "If you can't knock 'em down...GLOCK 'em down!"

Just wanted to tell u...I love it
    That was actually a quote my Custody Control (self defense) instructor taught us in Police Academy. He always told us if you get into a struggle with a BG and you're getting your ass kicked...when all else fails - If you can't knock 'em down, GLOCK 'em down!

God bless you John Boren!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    7000 gr in a pound

180 gr is 2.5% of a pound
    165 gr is 2.35% of a pound

Whats the Differnce?

This is from the FED LE website for HST round
    180 leaves the barrel around 1030
    165 leaves the barrel around 1140
    155 leaves the barrel around 1160

EFMJ is only made in 165 (for LE distrubtors) I believe they have a water down 155 gr for us civies for the .40 moving around 1050 but you can still easly get LE ammo.

Tactical bonded
    180 moving around 1000
    165 moving around 1050
    155 Moving around 1140

What this all means Absolutly Nothing if you can't make your hits it dosn't matter how heavy the bullet is. There all the same diameter moving really fast. I doubt highly the human body is going to be able to tell a 0.15% of a LB differnece in a metal object passing through human flesh. Anything moving well over 900 FPS is probably going to give you reliable expansion. Heavier bullets due mean heavier recoil slighlty slower follow up shots now how much heavier is the recoil you probably won't notice that either.

IIRC I thought the .40 S&W Magnum (10mm) was designed to optimize "performance" what ever that means. with a 180 grain
    I thought the .40 S&W was now rethought to optimize "performance" (what ever that to means )with a a 165
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Personally, I like the 165 grain Remington Golden Saber ammo. It's what I carry in my Glock 23.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

At the range I use the Winchester cheep stuff from walmart. I pay about 17 dollars for a hundred.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just a lil suggestion. Most high quality ammo will do the job with little realistic differences. One thing you can do is talk to local officers, deputys and troopers in your area and see if they are carrying 40s and what they carry. They might not be carrying what he or she or it said was the best thumper in the world, but imigian a prosecutor trying to nail you for carrying the same ammo the deputy guarding the court room is carrying. Just something to think over.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Just a lil suggestion. Most high quality ammo will do the job with little realistic differences. One thing you can do is talk to local officers, deputys and troopers in your area and see if they are carrying 40s and what they carry. They might not be carrying what he or she or it said was the best thumper in the world, but imigian a prosecutor trying to nail you for carrying the same ammo the deputy guarding the court room is carrying. Just something to think over.
    +1

Good idea there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

""Just a lil suggestion. Most high quality ammo will do the job with little realistic differences. One thing you can do is talk to local officers, deputys and troopers in your area and see if they are carrying 40s and what they carry. They might not be carrying what he or she or it said was the best thumper in the world, but imigian a prosecutor trying to nail you for carrying the same ammo the deputy guarding the court room is carrying. Just something to think over.""

Thank u thats a great idea............

Carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 155 gr.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Links