Fed HST vs. Winchester Rangers....?

This is a discussion on Fed HST vs. Winchester Rangers....? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, another ammo dispute for yall.. But, i guess ill go 1st! I Like both of them honestly. They both have the same 2x Expansion, ...

Thread: Fed HST vs. Winchester Rangers....?

Alright, another ammo dispute for yall.. But, i guess ill go 1st! I Like both of them honestly. They both have the same 2x Expansion, Feed 100% reliable in my gun. But, im not an expert in this field..So, im Going to see what everyone has to say on this topic/poll. I've stocked up on HST's due to the price increase that is steadily climbing ..arrr! But Rangers are pretty hard to find in 9mm..So, Before I Go back to the gun show & buy them out of the Ranger's.. I Just want to hear everybodys opinion on this just for the heck of it.

DRT
    They are the best of the best. You cant go wrong with either. What's most accurate in you weapon?

My experience has been that the 180gr version of the .40 HST opens better than the 165gr version. In Ranger T, the 165gr has the edge over the 180gr. YMMV

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My honest opinion is that if you have both the time and the $$ to worry about this your not spending near enough of either at the range .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

DRT
    the marksmanship badge on my uniform says 'distinguished' what's yours say?

Last night I talked to a friend of mine who is an Ohio State Trooper, and mentioned that he is using 180 grain Rangers. FWIW

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    oohrah

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    Yeah there is still a big differnce between shooting at paper and shooting tactically and moving tactically in the civillian world. When your carring a gun while wearing a Civilian hat you actually have more working against you then you did if you where in the Military or LE. Military you have more guys watching your back and you can go on the offensive, same with LE, Civillian you must be reactive. I've met "distinguished" guys that I out shot no problem.

I agree with Redneck Repairs.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

DRT
    Ok Dirty Harry....go back to playing your xbox with the rest of the internet commandos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Rob.....love ya bro, but you barked up the wrong tree. Sure you might (might) be able to out one hole me, but I will gurantee that the difference in your range time and that of a leo who wears their depts highest qualification badge is "combat accuracy". Went to the range the other day and my daughter slipped what I did to the range guy. Heck I got a discount but a challange to a shoot out. I'm use to it by now, and yes he pulled out a 2500 dollar custom 2.5# trigger Caspian framed 1911 built by one of the nations best gun smiths and quickly put 7 into one itty bitty hole at 25 feet. Mine were a lil more spread out, with a stock Sig. Oops I got out shot. Till I put the target at 50 feet and put it on speed return. When the targets got back to the firing line, he had missed, I didnt. Be careful when you make a lump statement like that.

In a way I agree with Redneck that most folks spend more time reading and talking about what bullet to carry and not worrying about putting the bullets into targets. Paper sitting still is ok, but weak for training and is why in the past LEO were lucky to hit 12% of the time (and the fired to hit ratio for civilians in that time frame was under 5%). New training, increased stress level, lower times standards ect have raised the national adverage for LEOs has increased into the 20% arena, where civilian shootings still remain in single digets.

Oh and a comment about your signature. Your right there are plenty of LEOs and National Guard Solders in this country who are willing to obey orders, key word you might have forgotten at VMI (a fine institute) is obey orders. Their orders were legal at the time of issue, a court LATER found them to be illegal. You should be proud of the fact that those who committed themselves to protecting you are willing to obey those orders, regardless if they liked them or not. They also are given orders to not beat someone who pisses them off, some dont and if they ignore orders they are wrong based upon the laws we have that rule out country.

Sorry that just hit me wrong as I was one of those officers (agents) and you know what....I was deep in that crap (litterally) to insure you have the right to insult me and those like me (and yes it was/is and insult).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Looks like this thread has wandered off course...I'm going to slap the padlock on it right here...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Sponsored Links