defensive ammo for browning hi power?

This is a discussion on defensive ammo for browning hi power? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be picking up my BHP 9mm in the next week or so and was wanting advice of which carry ammo to use in ...

Thread: defensive ammo for browning hi power?

I will be picking up my BHP 9mm in the next week or so and was wanting advice of which carry ammo to use in it? I don't think theres anything wrong with 9mm at all but do I need +p in a full size gun like the BHP? I really like the golden saber and hydra-shocks in the 124gr for 9mm JHP ammo. This hi power is a modern mark III gun so I don't think feeding will be an issue,I'am a huge 1911 fan but would you guys feel undergunned with a BHP instead of a 1911?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly i shoot 124 hydra shock in all full sized 9s since for most they tend to regulate well to the sights . Gold dot is another fine choice , and in my snubby 9s ( such as the Kahr pm9 ) i step up to +p in order to try and get velocity enough for the hp to open . I am not a brand loyalist on ammo since all are designed to fit the fbi profile for preformance nowdays . Try out a fiew brands , and bullet weights then use the one your gun likes ( reliable and shoots closest to point of aim at the longest range you anticipate ) .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

In short, whatever best works in your gun and best seems to fit the mix of traits you're looking for in your defensive firearm.

For me ...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The way I look at it is this way: how much displaced vital matter can you inflict on an attacking BG in a short period of time? That is a function of several factors, and the bullet's diameter and weight is the least worry.

One, it matters how quickly I can bring the weapon to bear, irrespective of caliber of ammunition used. If it's a big dogpile of a weapon and cannot be brought on-target quickly, it's a detriment to the goal. Two, it matters how accurate I can be across multiple shots, not just plinking single shots at the range. Thus, I must be accurate on follow-on shots, under stress, able to handle the weapon, recoil, flame/smoke and noise over time, from a variety of positions, even changing positions. Three, it matters how much damage I can inflict in that brief span of time. To paraphrase, it ain't the meat, it's the motion. More bullets on-target more quickly can make up for a lot of bullet size.

The reality is that a well-balanced, small-ish, high-cap 9mm semi-auto works best for me in the shooting department. I simply haven't found a single .40 or .45 that has the combination of above traits that will yield the same result. I can do a heck of a lot of damage to a 10lb country ham or side of beef, with my 9mm. Can't imagine a living, breathing BG would fare much different. As a complete package, it also works best for me, in terms of also being concealable, affordable, with ammo that's easily found and replenished anywhere I go.

A lot of folks have debated, over the years, as to the best bullet, all other things held constant. That's fine, if all other things could be held constant. Awfully hard to do. Even the same gun with a replaceable top end won't feel identical and, thus, will generally affect performance when it counts. For straight-up stopping power comparisons, the noted web sites above are a good place to start.

Best "stopping power" of a given bullet? To my way of thinking that's a question with a non-existent answer. The "right" question is: what will best stop the BG. And, IMO, that's not the bullet but the whole package.
    That said, I've got a CZ P01 9mm and it simply loves two type of ammo: DoubleTap 124gr +P, and Federal Hydrashok Tactical 124gr +P+. Both feed extremely reliably, pack a lot of punch and don't cost a king's ransom (for carry rounds).

But, it's entirely possible that neither of these would feed in your specific gun. Each gun is slightly different, with different tolerances and a different history (of break-in and usage). A friend's pair of HiPowers (a 9mm and a .40) both enjoyed the Remington Golden Saber 124gr bullets, but that doesn't have quite the performance of other rounds. YMMV.

BTW, back in December, I did a review to compare the above two rounds (DT 124gr +P, FHST 124gr +P+): click here.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 25th, 2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add link
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    My BHP likes std pressure Speer 124 GD's and so that is what it gets if used for carry - as it used to be for some while.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    As said, what ever works, I'm partial to pwrballs.

My bhp will run anything. More often that not I carry the standard pressure 124 Hydra-Shoks in it.

The Honorable Mr Stephen Camp should be jumping in at anytime now :) Check out his site at

www.hipowersandhandguns.com

for everything you could possible want to know about BHP carry and rounds.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    My BHP is loaded right this minute with Federals "Personal Defense" 9mm C9BP which is standard pressure ammo. I personally would not run a steady diet of +p or +p+ through a BHP but then again I care to be more cautious about that. When I carried a BHP on duty, I did carry CorBon 115gr +p ammo in it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

1951 - 2011
    Hello. If interested, here is a review of some 9mm expanding ammunition done in the last few months of 2006 using a Mk III Hi Power.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9..._selection.htm

Best.

thanks alot stephen that was very helpful indeed.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Mr Camp is allways a fountain of helpfull info , and usualy wisdom also LOL .

oO( just had to say that ya know lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

winchester ranger 127gr +p+ sxt, or 124gr hydrashok +p+. I've been shooting them into wet phone books. The ranger performs the best, but the hydrashok's are not too far behind.

Sponsored Links