RBCD question?

RBCD question?

This is a discussion on RBCD question? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone has done any wet pack, water jug,or phone book, tests on RBCD ammo? In searching for info on the RBCD, ...

Thread: RBCD question?

RBCD question?

I was wondering if anyone has done any wet pack, water jug,or phone book, tests on RBCD ammo? In searching for info on the RBCD, I don't see where anyone has commented on such..

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I have performed informal tests on it in 9mm only.

Based on 10 (expensive) shots, the average velocity was 2206 ft/sec for the 50-gr. Tactical load. This standard pressure load has a published velocity of 2300 ft/sec, so it was a tad shy there. Extreme spread was 97 with a std. deviation of 33.

In "wetpack" (super-saturated newsprint soaked for 24 hours and then drained 30 minutes prior to shooting), it penetrated 4" inches. The company advises that in 10% ballistic gelatin it produces a cavity 7" wide and 9" deep.

The "permanent wound cavity" in the soaked newsprint was definitely wider than for other loads, including the super-expanding Corbon 115-gr. JHP +P, which averages just over 1400 ft/sec from the same Hi Power through which this round was fired.

The company advises that the bullet pretty well disintegrates and that does seem to be the case.

I recovered a polymer ball and the base of the bullet, which was all I could find.

Felt recoil was mild but muzzle blast was quite loud. My Hi Power is equipped with an 18.5-lb recoil spring for heavier 9mm loads. This load functioned fine but wouldn't lock the slide back on the last shot.

I have no idea how well or badly this load would work in the real world. I know that the round is controversial. At 2000+ ft/sec, we very well might begin seeing the effects of true tissue damage done by hydrastatic shock but not being a fluid dynamicist, I certainly cannot say with any certainty.

I am not convinced that the load has enough penetration for a human aggressor other than for an unobstructed upper torso hit...if that, BUT for whatever depth the bullet or its pieces travel, I believe a great deal of hell would be raised. Again, I have not shot any animals with it nor have I visited with anyone who has actually used it on any living thing.

I have not tested any other of this line of ammunition.

Best.

I only found out about RBCD by accident, from a friend of a friend. However, both friends are senior Special Forces "Operators." The one whom I spoke with swore that if the situation was ONE SHOT between him and eternity, he'd take RBCD everytime. However, I have also heard rumors that this company produces a specialized load for the military and only the military has access. I have also heard (this from a Force Recon Marine) that a "Hadji" shot in the butt over in the sandbox had half his gut blown away and died immediately. The load was fired from an M4 5.56mm. I have a couple of the 40cal RBCDs and carry them in my M27 Glock. I plan on getting some for a 9mm and a 45. They're not cheap at $45 for 20rds! I have found them one time at a gunshow and paid about $20 for 20rds.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Check over at TacticalForums.com or Lightfighter.net. DOCGKR is a respected figure in the terminal effects field and has tested RBCD/Le Mas ammo. After reading about it there, I'd have to say that I choose to pass on such overhyped ammo and pick instead proven performers such as Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger. Cheaper, too.

BTW, from what I understand, 2,000 fps muzzle velocity doesn't invoke hydrostatic shock.

Thanks for the reply, a 4inch deep, hole 3/4inch wide is going to have an effect,. But the problem is that for the size of a 9mm. bullet, the 50gr's is just to thin a combination of lead and copper, and wont hold togeather long enough to penatrate better,,and if you make it out of a harder cast lead or whatever you can't keep the weight down to get the speed, thus you get back to a 115gr/1400' round..is this right thinking?

Sponsored Links