357 Magnum 140grs JHP ?

This is a discussion on 357 Magnum 140grs JHP ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im planing to buy some 140grs JHP bullets and load it for my 3" SP 101. In my part of the world,it is only posible ...

Thread: 357 Magnum 140grs JHP ?

Question 357 Magnum 140grs JHP ?

Im planing to buy some 140grs JHP bullets and load it for my 3" SP 101.
    In my part of the world,it is only posible to find Remington 140grs SJHP and Sierra 140grs JHP.
    Since I never had any chance to test it on live target or gelatine,every real world info is more than welcome. Penetration,expansion,permanent wound cavity ...

2. Remove Ads

You might want to try searching Evan Marshall's Stopping Power site. There is a lot of good info available there. Evan and his team test many different loads with gelatine. I know the 125 grain load is favored by many.
    http://www.stoppingpower.net/

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post
    You might want to try searching Evan Marshall's Stopping Power site. There is a lot of good info available there. Evan and his team test many different loads with gelatine. I know the 125 grain load is favored by many.
    http://www.stoppingpower.net/
    I have all three books but only in first they are mension something about it.
    My opinion,bearly something.
    Presently Im cariing 125grs,very hot loaded,but two weeks ago,during hunting,I have shoot wild dog,some 60 pounds heavy.
    Hit was from above and behind front left shoulder.
    Bullet hit whose very evident and it was vell placed,dog have jump,than run for a 30 fts and fall down.
    What makes me nervous,the dog is pretty shallow,and in my opinion,on something so skinny (if you compare it with a groun up man,200pounds) bullet of this strenght should exit the dog.
    Bullet is handloaded 125grs FUNNEL POINT,with 1475 ft/s from my Ruger SP 101.
    It generates somewhere about 600 ft/lbs and the wound is like nothing I have ever soo before.
    Very much similar to a wound from 223.
    So,now Im thinking to take something heavier to make couple of inches deeper penetration,and still have a good expansion and energy transfer.
    Last edited by Kaligula; April 8th, 2007 at 02:30 PM.

THe 140 grain jacket hollow points may be just what you need.

When Winchester came out with the 145 grain silver tips I switched over to those and then the department went to them in mass,

IMO and several others Evan Marshall is a waste of time if your looking for answers, he may of given it a good try but missed the boat.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    THe 140 grain jacket hollow points may be just what you need.

When Winchester came out with the 145 grain silver tips I switched over to those and then the department went to them in mass,

IMO and several others Evan Marshall is a waste of time if your looking for answers, he may of given it a good try but missed the boat.
    I couldn t find any info about street performance of 140grs JHP.
    Only that US Border Patrol have used 145grs Silvertips in 357 for some time,but that s about it.
    In my gun vault I also have 158grs Hydra Shock but again,no info about street usage of it.
    Only couple of words in last Sanow/Marshall book,and that s it.
    I know that in USA you folks can get all info you wish very easly but in my part of the world,that kind of info is very,very hard to find.
    Not to mension that,in Croatia,if you are a hunter,or simply a person who like to have a weapon of any kind with you,for protection,general opinion is that you are retarded,egomaniac with small penis,who is walking around the world with idea about entering the school or Shooping mall and shoot everyone.
    They are so limited in there head that none of us gun lovers doesn t know how to explain them that we are normal people but like to go on the shooting range,hunt,or just have last line of D fense in our house.
    I heard that you folks have similar problems in US but I hope,not so big like us here.
    All info about bullet performance on living tisue is more than welcome.
    I m hungry of knowledge about it.

Links