380 Test Results

This is a discussion on 380 Test Results within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After studying all the test results for the various popular 380 expanding rounds available, I now know less than I did before. Each load has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 380 test Results

Unhappy 380 test Results

After studying all the test results for the various popular 380 expanding rounds available, I now know less than I did before. Each load has been shown in somebody's test to under-penetrate and in another's fail to expand.

My thinking at this point is that I cannot count on any of the expanding bullets to do the job. Until a bunch of people want to volunteer for some live testing, I am going back to the FMJs.

The WWB Value Pak FMJs I use for practice are a flat point design. They feed reliably in my gun, and have surprisingly good accuracy. They just aren't a very sexy load. Somebody please talk me out of using them.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well with my Kel-Tec I plan to continue firing until I hear click. Hopefully I will have plugged seven .380 rounds into COM. I am going to stick with HP's though. The only FMJ pistol round I would use for SD is 230grs in .45 ACP!

I am considering looking into the Corbon DPX rounds....they seem to offer a little of both worlds, some expansion with good penetration. Do they make those for .380?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    My thinking at this point is that I cannot count on any of the expanding bullets to do the job.
    You never should. If it expands, it's a bonus.

But that's the problem - if it expands, penetration is lacking.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    But that's the problem - if it expands, penetration is lacking.
    Says who?

Expantion can be a very good thing. Hell, I've seen high speed photos of .45auto Federal HST fully expanding after going through a 2 inch piece of ballistic gellitan. .96" dia bullet after that.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/45hst.html

My point is, if you're concerned of expantion and low penetration, and the test you've been looking at are showing that they apparently didn't expand at least 50% of the time, meaning it's acting like a FMJ.

If you're desperate for a test subject, go into the country at a buddy's house and sit on the deck at night, waiting for 'coons. You'd be suprized what those buggers can take if you don't nail their head.

Senior Moderator
    Don't count on the bullet to do its job. Do yours.....

Shot placement is key no matter what caliber. Plus as mentioned keep firing until the threat is no longer a threat
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

In .380 the best results I've seen are coming up with Win. silvertip and hydroshock's, regular hp cor-bon don't expand, now DXP's might do much better job,.FMJ will will probable go clear through,, all things considered, I choose to carry Silvertips..

I've seen several people shot with .380 ball- no fatalities, even with core-body hits. Any HP is better than ball, in that at least it has the potential for more "shock/trauma". Ball is ball, and never more shall be.

OTOH, if all your pistol feeds is ball, that answers the question- stick with what works.

I use a ball round in my .380 as well. The overall power of a .380 isn't enough to through and through an average human, so collateral damage seems to be a non-issue to me (unless I missed the first time).

As for HP's, I would say pick what you want so long as it feeds reliably.

I am not expecting any fatalities out of my .380, if I get one, fine. If I am employing my .380, it is because my primary is either not in immediate reach, or it has become nonfunctional for some reason. And, yes, there are times that my primary is not in immediate reach.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

http://stevespages.com/page8f380acp.html

The good rounds from the major ammo companies seem to do a whole lot better on both expansion and penetration than I would have expected - perhaps I should rethink my choice of FMJs

I'm using DPX. I think it is the best compromise.

VIP Member
    Stephen Camp is a member of CC and does a good bit of ammo testing. He posts his results on his website. This page has several good articles about .380 ammo.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    ....and that is why limatune was buying a "get Well" card instead of "My Condolences" card for the guy she shot with the .380

Sorry, I've been holding that since the thread started
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Here are some of the bullets I have tested for the .380.

On the left is a Magtech first defense solid copper hollow point.

In the middle is the Corbon JHP, not the DPX.

On the right is the Speer Gold Dot JHP.

I now carry either the Corbon JHP, or the Speer Gold Dot, and reload with the gold dot.

1.jpg
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links