44 Magnum Defensive Carry Round

This is a discussion on 44 Magnum Defensive Carry Round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a HP 200 grain round that will have about 1200FPS or a 240 grain at 100FPS out of my s&w 629-4 ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 44 Magnum Defensive Carry Round

I am looking for a HP 200 grain round that will have about 1200FPS or a 240 grain at 100FPS out of my s&w 629-4 4 inch. If I am going to carry a 44 magnum, it is because I want the extra capability without too much over penetration so not really interested in 44 special. I would just carry my glock 21 with 14 rounds of 230 grain gold dots over 6 rounds of 44 special. I am just getting into reloading for 44, but would like to find factory ammo to carry. It seems the 240 grain GD may be too much as it is listed as a hunting round and was looking at the 200 grain Hornady XTP with a muzzle velocity of 1500FPS. I believe those tests were done with 7.5" barrels which may be around what I am looking for out of a 4". Any recommendations? This would not be my EDC. Just for occasional carry.

Not an expert on .44, but how about Buffalo Bore?

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=87

A 180gr .44 Special JHP, doing about 1150 FPS out of a 3.25" S&W, and 1200 out of a 6" Ruger. Sounds pretty close to what you're looking for.
    shadowwalker and BamaT like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

ICEMAN550 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the highlands of the foothills
    With a .44 Mag it doesn't matter.

I use Speer JSP 240 gr for deer and have some 240 gr JHP I found too destructive. So I guess they would be preferable for self defense. But then a cast lead Keith Style would drop most anything under 400 pounds with a well placed shot.

The .44 Mag is a paradox. A 20 to 24 oz pistol that fired it would be uncontrolable and the shooter would be as disoriented as the shootee after the shot. But if you can carry a 40-48 oz pistol for self defense it sure ought to speak with authority.
    ICEMAN550 and msgt/ret like this.
    Charlie P.

Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along. -- Terry Pratchett
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5

Sponsor
    Do you reload?

I use a 200 grain Speer Gold Dot .44 Mag in front of 26.7 grains of 300-MP for my "social" loads.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Not an expert on .44, but how about Buffalo Bore?

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=87

A 180gr .44 Special JHP, doing about 1150 FPS out of a 3.25" S&W, and 1200 out of a 6" Ruger. Sounds pretty close to what you're looking for.
    My 40 HST out of a glock 22 (4.5 inch barrel) were chrono at 1080FPS so not quite what I am looking for, but close. The round listed is almost identical to several 357 magnum 180 grain rounds out of a 4 inch barrel. For 357 magnum I usually carry the lighter 125 grain XTP, but go with 158 grain or 180 if I am camping. I will probably start taking the s&w 629 with 240 grain GD DC on camping trips in the future and the 357 will be for winter carry primarily. I ended up getting a deal on a couple hundred of the Gold Dot Deep Curl 240 grain, but they are a little over what I am looking for as a SD round. I appreciate all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by rdunawaytx View Post
    Do you reload?

I use a 200 grain Speer Gold Dot .44 Mag in front of 26.7 grains of 300-MP for my "social" loads.
    I am just getting set up for 44 magnum, so yes I will reload. Still was hoping for a factory round for carry and plan on reloading something close for training.

I have been thru the phase of wanting to carry a 44 mag as a carry gun, and it can be done, however.....

I came to the conclusion that while a 44 or 45 cal 200 or so weight bullet moving along at 1000 or so fps was just about the ideal anti personnel load, any one of my 45 autos loaded with 230 weight bullets pushing 950fps was just so much more realistic for every day use, and just as effective.

Now, If S&W would stop copying other designs and bring back the 696 44 spl, I would be very happy:)
    SatCong, gasmitty, BamaT and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    With a .44 Mag it doesn't matter.

I use Speer JSP 240 gr for deer and have some 240 gr JHP I found too destructive. So I guess they would be preferable for self defense. But then a cast lead Keith Style would drop most anything under 400 pounds with a well placed shot.

The .44 Mag is a paradox. A 20 to 24 oz pistol that fired it would be uncontrolable and the shooter would be as disoriented as the shootee after the shot. But if you can carry a 40-48 oz pistol for self defense it sure ought to speak with authority.
    It is a heavy gun to carry daily, but I don't have a problem with the recoil. I may be a little slower than I would with my glock 19, but I am really impressed with the accuracy of the S&W 629. In single action I was able to keep good center mass hits at 50 yards and some very good groups at 25 yards. I really like the accuracy, power and capability of the 44 mag. It's a round that can do most anything I could need to achieve with a handgun and I just like revolvers. It is easy to carry speed loaders with different rounds depending on the situation, but looking for a good round that exceeds a 45 acp, but not a bear round either.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN550 View Post
    I am just getting set up for 44 magnum, so yes I will reload. Still was hoping for a factory round for carry and plan on reloading something close for training.
    You can run Xtreme plated for your practice rounds and not break the bank.
    SatCong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have been thru the phase of wanting to carry a 44 mag as a carry gun, and it can be done, however.....

I came to the conclusion that while a 44 or 45 cal 200 or so weight bullet moving along at 1000 or so fps was just about the ideal anti personnel load, any one of my 45 autos loaded with 230 weight bullets pushing 950fps was just so much more realistic for every day use, and just as effective.

Now, If S&W would stop copying other designs and bring back the 696 44 spl, I would be very happy:)
    I do often carry a glock 21, but like to switch it up. I try to rotate training days with every gun I own so that I can use them all effectively. It is getting harder as my collection grows, but generally I shoot once or twice a week and bring 2 guns. I always shoot the glock 19 or 26 and then usualy bring a revolver or a 45.

I just shoot 200gr HP 44 spl out of my 44 mag 6" 29 . I don't reload so not going to carry full mag loads for SD
    shadowwalker and BamaT like this.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I wish I knew the barrel length used for those muzzle velocities. The speer 200 grain GD SB may be close to perfect. It is listed 1075 FPS out of a snub nose. That should be right about what I am looking for. Thank you for reminding me of that chart. It would be great if they listed the barrel length next to each manufacturer. They did say 7.5" for a couple, but barrel length makes a significant difference in revolver rounds as I am sure you know.

Senior Moderator
    I have nearly no experience with factory loaded .44 Magnum ammunition and its been nearly 20 years since I had a 4-inch .44 Magnum.

Here's an ancient thread dredged up that has some handloading efforts mostly having to do with a couple of bullet weights. I'm not likely to be carrying the 8 3/8-inch Model 29 for personal defense but it's fairly salty when stoked up with full-charge handloads.

Cartridge Discussion: The .44 Magnum
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

What glockman10mm said, for many years I have used 200gr in 45s in wheel and semi's and a long time friend of mine has used 200 or 210 gr in his 44mag but never used a magnum load which he carried concealed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links