Lightweight 45 ACP Ammo

Lightweight 45 ACP Ammo

This is a discussion on Lightweight 45 ACP Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to find info on what rounds would be best for me to carry that would fit two categories 1. being extremley lightweight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 45 ACP Ammo

Lightweight 45 ACP Ammo

I am trying to find info on what rounds would be best for me to carry that would fit two categories 1. being extremley lightweight and 2. being effective. I cannot find anything on the internet and I am new to Concealed carry. Any information would help. I carry a XD 45 ACP 4inch.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

USAF security forces, hmm?

Corbon makes a 165 grain +P load in both their Pow'RBall and conventional JHP lines and a 160 grain round firing their DPX bullet.

Info on the conventional 165 grain JHP +P from Corbon's website:
    SD45165/20
    45 AUTO +P 165 GR. JHP
    1250FPS / 573FTLBS

Info on their 165 grain +P Pow'RBall:
    PB45165/20
    45 AUTO +P 165 GR. PB
    1225 FPS / 550 FTLBS

Info on their 160 grain DPX:
    DPX45160/20
    45 AUTO 160 GR. DPX
    1050 FPS / 392 FTLBS

According to Corbon, the two 165 grain loads were tested out of a five inch barrel; the 160 grain DPX load was tested out of three inch barrel. Strange.

Here's a test with the Pow'RBall:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/powrball.htm

Magtech also has a 165 grain +P JHP:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=168239

Federal has two 165 grain rounds in their "Premium Personal Defense" line. One is loaded with their Hydra-Shok bullet and the other with their Expanding FMJ (EFMJ) bullet.

The EFMJ round:
    PD45CSP2H
    45 Auto 165 grain
    1140 FPS / 476 FTLBS

The Hydra-Shok:
    PD45HS3H
    45 Auto 165 grains
    1060 FPS / 412 FTLBS

Finally, my favorite ammo maker, Doubletap Ammo, makes a 165 grain JHP load that they claim is "just shy of +P," but you can't tell based on the numbers:
    1325 FPS / 643 FTLBS (!!!)

Their web page regarding this round:
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=146

I only have fired the Corbon 165 grain JHP, first out of my Star PD (which I'll never do again as my hand was wacked so hard firing that round out of that gun that the downward angled tang of the gun actually cut a groove in my hand....ouch) and Beretta Mini Cougar 8045D. The round was controlled-pair "controllable" out of my Mini Cougar. Accurate too.

I have got to try Doubletap's 165 grain load one day.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Just curious, why are you looking for extremely lightweight ammo?

Extreme shock 125gr (lead free) is about the lightest weight I've seen in factory ammo. I haven't seen any reviews about it to justify the price of over $2.00/round, though. Compare that with Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr JHP (my current load) at $0.38/round.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    ....great question Rod; I discounted the Glasers and similiar rounds since they are so bloody expensive. The lightest I'd fire in a .45 are the 165 grain rounds. I'm perfectly happy with 230 grain JHPs though which is what my HK USP is loaded with. I go lighter with my short(er) barreled .45's like my Kahr P45, Mini Cougar, Star PD, and Kimber Combat Carry (don'tcha love that name?).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Yep, I can't see paying $10.61 for a box of 5(!) rounds (Extreme Shock at CheaperThanDirt.com). I've been using the same loads in both my 3" and 5" 1911s. When I tested them with the Chrony, I was dropping about 75-90fps in the 3". Still not slow enough that I could see the bullet, though!
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Just curious, why are you looking for extremely lightweight ammo?

Extreme shock 125gr (lead free) is about the lightest weight I've seen in factory ammo. I haven't seen any reviews about it to justify the price of over $2.00/round, though. Compare that with Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr JHP (my current load) at $0.38/round.
    I would like it to be lightweight, because I want to keep the weight down when I carry concealed. The XD 45 service is light but still I am always looking to shave those extra ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45Golfer View Post
    I would like it to be lightweight, because I want to keep the weight down when I carry concealed. The XD 45 service is light but still I am always looking to shave those extra ounces.
    I think if you invest in a really good holster, you'll find that ammo weight will not make too much difference, and you'll be better served by choosing the load that will be most effective in your weapon.

For example, there's a 65 grain difference between 230gr and 165gr bullets. A full load for your XD Compact is 11 rounds, so you're only talking about a difference of 1.63428 ounces. Add an extra mag and it's still only 3.12 ounces more.

My Tucker holsters and gunbelt do a good job of supporting and distributing the weight of my fully-loaded 1911s, so I don't really notice it much. I certainly don't think you'd notice about 1 and a half ounces difference, in what is a fairly lightweight pistol to begin with. Get a real gunbelt and holster from Tucker, Brommeland, HBE, del Fatti, UBG, Garrity or others who frequent this forum and you'll be good to go!
    Cheers,
    Rod

My "extremely lightweight" .45 acp ammo has always been 230 grain. Either in a hollow point or ball ammo. Either way, always 230 grain.
    When I need something lighter I carry my 9mm.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I'll second the motion on the rig making all the difference.I can comfortably carry either of my 1911's all day in my Andrews Leather rig. Whatever you get make sure it's hung on a real gunbelt. Before these it was a chore for me. Now I hardly know it's there sometimes.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Look at it this way: Your gun weighs about 3lbs. One grain is 1/7000 of one pound.

I do not remember what the capacity on the XD is, so I'll assume 15 for the sake of argument. With case, powder, primer and bullet, you're only adding about 1/2lb.

I personally feel that a 5" barrel deserves 230gr, 4" deserves 200gr, and 3" deserves 185gr.

The .45acp was orignally designed to operate with a 200gr bullet at 900-1000fps (again, IIRC) from a 6"(?) tube (may have been 5"). The military asked for a 230gr version and JMB obliged.

The difference between 15 230gr rounds and 15 125gr rounds is only about 3oz if I have my math correct (it's early though). 125gr is ridiculously light for .45acp, and the lack of penetration would scare me, personally.

Others have given good advice; I'd follow it.

Josh <><

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with the previous post, and will take the math Joshua provided as true, I've been up a while, and it still went way over my head, but my dedicated carry is a Glock 21 with a 13 round mag loaded with Gold Dot 230 gr. I just switched back to the 230 gr from 200 +P and can't tell the difference, secured in my Cochise Defender, I often forget that I'm even carrying a gun at all.

IMHO, your carry rig is the answer, and will negate any difference in ammo weight.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I think if you invest in a really good holster, you'll find that ammo weight will not make too much difference, and you'll be better served by choosing the load that will be most effective in your weapon.

For example, there's a 65 grain difference between 230gr and 165gr bullets. A full load for your XD Compact is 11 rounds, so you're only talking about a difference of 1.63428 ounces. Add an extra mag and it's still only 3.12 ounces more.

My Tucker holsters and gunbelt do a good job of supporting and distributing the weight of my fully-loaded 1911s, so I don't really notice it much. I certainly don't think you'd notice about 1 and a half ounces difference, in what is a fairly lightweight pistol to begin with. Get a real gunbelt and holster from Tucker, Brommeland, HBE, del Fatti, UBG, Garrity or others who frequent this forum and you'll be good to go!
    Thanks, for the Info Rod... I will look into a solid holster first rather than lighter ammo.... I have found alot of people like the crossbreed holsters. Has anyone had experiance with them? I am looking at the IWB Quickclip. Thanks for all your help.

ADD ON: I just found a great website HBELeatherworks.com. They seem to have great holsters. Any one have experiance with the tuckables?
    Last edited by XD45Golfer; April 9th, 2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Found a new website

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I'll shoot Eric Larsen a PM and point him this way.

Josh <><

Wink

Leave it to the Air Force dude to be more concerned with how much weight he's carrying as opposed to how effective his ammo is!

Paratroop23

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    Leave it to the Air Force dude to be more concerned with how much weight he's carrying as opposed to how effective his ammo is!

Paratroop23
    Thanks Para, Just so you know I am looking for the best of both worlds. Something that is effective and lightweight. Don't hate on the Air Force because you chose an inferior branch. Oh and how is the military's gang capital of the world treating you? FYI, I am an E-6 in the Security Forces carrer field, look at the bases over in Iraq who is not only guarding the grunts, and jarheads but going out and taking on in-leau of missions, that's right it is us..... so the next time you want to comment on the Air Force remember we are out there the same as you are.
    "The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."
    - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links