Russian ammunition

This is a discussion on Russian ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gotammo There is a reason its 2.75 a box, corrosive powders, dirty, and not as accurate as inexpensive ammo. If all you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian ammunition

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    There is a reason its 2.75 a box, corrosive powders, dirty, and not as accurate as inexpensive ammo.
    If all you want to do is pull the trigger thats why .22LR are cheap, if you bought an AR 15 you probally spent a little $$ so why shoot the absolute cheapest ammo you can, find the rifle can't perform its best on substandard ammo. Inexpensive ammo is good, cheap ammo is not.
    just my two cents.
    Myth, not a dirty as it once was, smells but so do I after a long day at the range and not from all the powder either, the link to the Box O Truth was a good information source, straight forward and to the point. Some are very biased against Wolf but they have gone a long ways improving their round, N one big reason they are cheaper is that soft steel cost a lot less per Lb to process than brass. N one more thing the last I bought was $180. a K at the gunshow.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Wolf ammo is prohibited by the ranges I use around here. Here is a link to one of their web sites:

http://www.doubleactionshooting.com/images/wolfammo.htm
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I have had excellent results using wolf Gold .308win in my Savage 11FP. Groups about the same as anything else. It's cheaper, therefore I spend more time at the range. It's a little dirtier, and the smell is definitly not what you'd consider a normal gunpowder smell..........but I say that it's good stuff. And many a Coyote has fallen to wolf 7.62X39 out of my trusty SKS!

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Wolf ammo is prohibited by the ranges I use around here. Here is a link to one of their web sites:

http://www.doubleactionshooting.com/images/wolfammo.htm
    It's prohibited because the range can't make money by scrapping the brass, that's why. $$$$

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by armorer234 View Post
    It's prohibited because the range can't make money by scrapping the brass, that's why. $$$$
    exactly
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    Patrons have experienced damage to their firearms due to the lacquer coating
    on steel-cased Wolf military ammo sticking the case in the chamber of
    better-quality guns. This may not be an issue with oversized and rough
    chambers in some military surplus firearms. Above are photos of a Wolf .223
    cartridge that literally exploded when the bullet was pulled to investigate it's
    construction.
    Because of these incidents, Double Action does not sell
    or permit Wolf ammo to be fired on it's ranges.
    My BS detector just jumped off the scale.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I own two AR-15, Bushmaster and Armalite, and two AK-47s (Century). The AKs are the ONLY rifles I would ever run wolf ammo thru. When I first got my Bushmaster I ran about 500 rounds of Wolf thru it, and the interior (chamber/barrel/etc. were filthy. Lots of junk in there.
    If you want to go with bulk for a cheap price, try to find some Lake City. I have found bags of 100 rounds for $35.00.
    The shop near me has 'em and i know quite a few others I have found in my travels does as well.
    You can always go on ammoman.com for bulk ammo at good prices (no I dont work for them).

But yeah, I wouldnt run Wolf thru my ARs ever again.

JT
    The days of cheap Lake City ammo are gone. Even at the price you quoted it would be $350 per 1K. If you can find it at all. Sportsmansguide, Aimsurplus, and ammoman are out of all surpus right now. Unless you want to buy tracers from ammoman at 50 cents a round.

As for Wolf being dirty...I clean my rifles after every time I shoot them, so dirty ammo doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by JT; April 12th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Wolf is just too filthy for any of my guns except the AK - but the last couple of boxes of S&B was almost as bad. Considering the rising cost and scaricity of ammo, more reasons to start rolling your own.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSARSENAL View Post
    I own two AR-15, Bushmaster and Armalite, and two AK-47s (Century). The AKs are the ONLY rifles I would ever run wolf ammo thru. When I first got my Bushmaster I ran about 500 rounds of Wolf thru it, and the interior (chamber/barrel/etc. were filthy. Lots of junk in there.
    If you want to go with bulk for a cheap price, try to find some Lake City. I have found bags of 100 rounds for $35.00.
    The shop near me has 'em and i know quite a few others I have found in my travels does as well.
    You can always go on ammoman.com for bulk ammo at good prices (no I dont work for them).

But yeah, I wouldnt run Wolf thru my ARs ever again.
    At $350/1000 thats TWICE what you can find WOLF .223 for....are you saying the differance is that great? I think not.....

JT
    I don't understand the "too dirty" part. They clean up.

Senior Moderator
    I haven't found that Wolf in .308 or 9mm that much dirtier than any surplus ammo from South Africa (which is all gone now) and is cleaner than the surplus I got from India and Pakistan.

If you don't like Wolf don't use it, but if you haven't used it or used it in the last couple of years try it before you make a judgement call on it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links