Russian ammunition

Russian ammunition

This is a discussion on Russian ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about Russian ammo. (Wolf brand) Why is it so cheap? And is it good to use in my Bushmaster AR15? Basically ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian ammunition

Russian ammunition

I have a question about Russian ammo. (Wolf brand) Why is it so cheap? And is it good to use in my Bushmaster AR15? Basically I am looking for bulk ammo for the range. I was told because of the war 223 ammo is hard to find locally. I'm not sure if there telling me the truth to up the price. If I use this ammo will I cause damage to my gun. (chrome barrel). Or should I clean the gun more often?. Thanks in advance.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Well, Wolf ammo is cheap in part because it's dirty and steel cased. It's going to cause more fouling and be harder on the extractor than quality brass cased ammo. I'm willing to shoot it my AK because the AK is built to handle steel cased ammo (nice big beefy extractor) and it doesn't mind getting dirty. An AR, on the other hand, isn't designed to handle steel cased ammo, and has a reputation for getting unreliable if it gets dirty.

That wolf ammo has a Teflon coating will that help?

Try this site

Lead Moderator
    I have fired over 1,000 rnds thru my AR's with Wolf ammo. No problems so far. alot of guys on AR15.com have as well. Its cheaper , but less accurate than better ammo. Also smells like ammonia after being fired.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    The ammonia smell is the number 1 reason why I hate wolf ammo.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    That wolf ammo has a Teflon coating will that help?
    It's polymer, not teflon.

It wonít hurt your AR. Yes, itís dirtier, and not as accurate. It also a little underpowered so you may occasionally have one not cycle correctly. But as long as you are using it for practice and not as a self-defense load, itís not a problem. I use it because I can afford to practice a lot more with it than I can with higher priced ammo. And if I get one that occasionally doesnít cycle all the way, I get to practice getting my rifle back into action after a failure to feed.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    I use Wolf in .308 and 9mm. It is good cheap and dirty.

In .30 carbine it is so underpowered that it will not fully cycle the bolt most of the time. Which is great for clearence drills, but sucks for shooting.

I will try Wolf in other calibers and use 9mm and .308. I will not but .30 carbine again from wolf.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I've put several thousand rounds of Wolf through my Bushmaster... With no failures of any kind. People tell me that it'll eventually break the extractor. An extractor costs a few bucks, and is quite easy to replace. I figure I saved more than enough money on the first 100 rounds to cover the extractor's price.

Yeah, it's dirty, but it's not hard to clean. Most of the grime comes out with a quick blast of gun scrubber... from there on out, it's just like cleaning it after shooting 'the good stuff'.

I'm no crack shot, but I can hit one out of three clay pigeons at 100 yards with Wolf through my iron sighted Bushy, so I don't think it's overly inaccurate. I don't seem to hit any more often with this rifle if I use Winchester or Black Hills than I do with Wolf. I'm sure the difference would show up if I were shooting for groups from a bench, but off hand? I don't shoot well enough to notice a difference.

I get to shoot much more often with Wolf than without, and it doesn't sting so bad when I a new shooter blasts through 30 or 60 rounds of it.

Now, if I could only find some Wolf .308 for my PTR. Everyone seems to be on backorder!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

There is a reason its 2.75 a box, corrosive powders, dirty, and not as accurate as inexpensive ammo.
    If all you want to do is pull the trigger thats why .22LR are cheap, if you bought an AR 15 you probally spent a little $$ so why shoot the absolute cheapest ammo you can, find the rifle can't perform its best on substandard ammo. Inexpensive ammo is good, cheap ammo is not.
    just my two cents.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    There is a reason its 2.75 a box, corrosive powders, dirty, and not as accurate as inexpensive ammo.
    If all you want to do is pull the trigger thats why .22LR are cheap, if you bought an AR 15 you probally spent a little $$ so why shoot the absolute cheapest ammo you can, find the rifle can't perform its best on substandard ammo. Inexpensive ammo is good, cheap ammo is not.
    just my two cents.

Wolf is not corrosive.

And good luck finding it for $2.75 a box anymore.

Practice is essential to be able to be a competent shooter. When I’m shooting long range, I’ll use the expensive stuff. When I am practicing at 100 yards in, putting a large number of rounds on a target in a short amount of time, Wolf is more than adequate.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

As JT said... Wolf doesn't use corrosive primers. If it did, my Bushy would be in real poor shape, since I don't clean it that often. :(

I'm paying nearly $4/box in 25 box lots. If you know somewhere to get wolf .223rem for $2.75/box please share!

I can't find 'good' surplus anymore, the LC and radway green that I used to get has all dried up. For me, it's wolf, silver bear, barnaul (which is starting to show up again), or stay home. I'll continue shooting the Russian stuff.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

JT
    Yeah, I use to shoot a lot of surplus. Now what I have left is my prized ammo stash that I don’t touch. My how times change.

Russian ammo? Get a Russian gun! Another reason to buy another gun! "Dear, its so I can shoot less expensive ammunition"

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Thumbs up

Thanks every one for the info. I have a local gun show I will go to and get some ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links