Extreme Shock ammo? - Page 2

Extreme Shock ammo?

This is a discussion on Extreme Shock ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike from Texas .......Looks like my favorite round (Winchester Ranger T) are the standard to beat. Mike – With all do respect, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    .......Looks like my favorite round (Winchester Ranger T) are the standard to beat.
    Mike –
    With all do respect, I disagree. Ranger-T used to be the “standard to beat”, do to their excellent expansion and penetration. But Ranger-T SXT’s are notorious for jacket and core separation.

Take a look at the reports/tests about the Federal HST. It matches, or comes very close, in expansion and penetration……and it is a bonded bullet. Jacket/core separation are a thing of the past with this round, and it still delivers all those nasty, sharp, talons into the target.

I just recently switched my carry round from the Winchester SXT’s to the Federal HST. Check them out.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Just so we're on the same page here - winchester ranger 't' is not the same as winchester sxt.

Randy

Randy –

Maybe I’m full of it (wouldn’t be the 1st time) but here goes……

Winchester has re-badged that ammo so many times over the years that it is quite confusing. In the past they have used the term SXT for the civilian market in the Supreme line, as well as using SXT in the LEO only Ranger line. They were not/are not the same cartridge. They also now use the term “T” series in both the Supreme (civilian) line and the Ranger LEO only line.

I am pretty sure that the current production of the ammo in question, which is nothing more than 3rd or 4th generation Black Talon’s, is now interchangeably called Ranger T, Ranger SXT, and or just plain SXT in the ammo market.

In the Winchester Law Enforcement catalog HERE they refer to the SXT round as the Ranger T. For example, under “Ranger T Series Handgun” they list the same cartridges by part number that are commonly known on the market as Winchester SXT’s.

I found out a long time ago that when buying Winchester ammo, do not use the name to identify it. Instead use the part number. Otherwise you may not be getting what you think you are getting.

Here are a couple of links to a other forums who discussed this cartridge…..HERE and HERE.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

From Winchester themselves. The T-Series is a new design than the SXT and has 6 vs 7 pedals I believe.

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsv...px?storyid=196

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...g/catalog.aspx
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Speer Gold Dots. Forget Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    From Winchester themselves. The T-Series is a new design than the SXT and has 6 vs 7 pedals I believe.

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsv...px?storyid=196

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...g/catalog.aspx
    The T-Series was released some time ago, but yes it has been recently "enhanced." Both the original T-Series and enhanced version have 6 petals.

I found out a long time ago that when buying Winchester ammo, do not use the name to identify it. Instead use the part number. Otherwise you may not be getting what you think you are getting.
    That's for sure. I come across this all the time. Its product code is the best way to determine what it is since both the older Ranger SXT and Ranger T had "SXT" on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    I would like to see some tests like this done on EFMJ's
    You're better off with a top end JHP. EFMJ is an option for those who can't get JHPs like those in NJ.
    Last edited by Whyveear; May 24th, 2007 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    You're better off with a top end JHP. EFMJ is an option for those who can't get JHPs like those in NJ.
    That depends, it tends to run flawlessly in guns that are finicky about hollow points. Dependability first!

Also, and I don't have the url for the tests right now, it performed better after barrier penetration (both hard and soft) than many hollow points. It was developed by the same guy who brought us hydro shock.

I buy it online and my supplier says the reason it always seems to be back ordered is demand is outstripping supply and not just because of material shortages. They stated it moves off the shelves as fast as they can get it. Must be something to it. It solved all the feeding issues in one picky auto I have.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links